Anyone damaged a C90 speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz_mike

Reaction score
Just wondering,...

Now that the C90 is the staple speaker used in mesa's whereas once upon a time it was an over-rated EV, do people ever blow up their C90's? It strikes me as strange, for example, that a 90W C90 is used in a 100W 1*12 lonestar, especially when you consider that when the power amp starts to overdrive, you can get a lot more power than it's rated for (close to double at full distortion).

Of couse, two things could be happening:
1) A 100W Mesa doesn't really put out 100W,...
2) Mesa amps are designed (and used) to get preamp distortion, so power amps are rarely putting out their maximum power.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone out there has accidentally killed a C90.

Same question I have.
I was wondering whether it was safer to put an EVM 12L and remove the C90.

Only thing hat came to my mind is that you would probably use the 100W on the clean channel and the 50W on the distorted one.
Thanks

Maybe Mesa thinks that if you are paying $2000+ for a rig, you should be smart enough to not operate it at volumes that would do damage. All of their 2x12 cabs loaded with C90 speakers have a 180watt rating more than capable of handling a 100watt head at deafening volumes. If it's a volume/power thing then maybe a 1x12 cab was the wrong choice. In retrospect a 1x12 lonestar cab is capable of handling small to medium sized clubs at respectable volumes.

I doubt Mesa would install a factory speaker that couldnt handle what the amp could put out. it would be stupid to put a 5year transferable warrantee on something like that. :)

So when was the last time any of us turned a 100 watt boogie up all the way?...

Yeah, i don't remember either.

oz_mike said:
Just wondering,...

Now that the C90 is the staple speaker used in mesa's whereas once upon a time it was an over-rated EV, do people ever blow up their C90's? It strikes me as strange, for example, that a 90W C90 is used in a 100W 1*12 lonestar, especially when you consider that when the power amp starts to overdrive, you can get a lot more power than it's rated for (close to double at full distortion).

2) Mesa amps are designed (and used) to get preamp distortion, so power amps are rarely putting out their maximum power.

boogiemon said:
So when was the last time any of us turned a 100 watt boogie up all the way?...

Yeah, i don't remember either.

When I had a Hotplate attached to it :wink: That only lasted a brief moment though.

...and it doesn't really count.

Well, Mesa IS putting 90 watt speakers (C90) in 100 watt amps (Lonestar), so go figure.
I put an 80 watt Celestion Century in the Loner and blew it up in about five minutes. Had to use a solid-state Fender to finish the gig. Oh, the ignominy!
No more under-a-hundred-watt speakers and Lonestars for me.
Only Mark IIIs and EVs.
I do have a C90 that isn't blown (yet), but it does have that furry cone-rub sound as the signal dies away.

I don't think it's wattage alone. Bass can blow a speaker too. Palm muting and high volume can destroy a good speaker easily. The C90 in my F-30 is holding up fine for me, but I don't crank it as loud as it can go and then palm mute or anything. It's barely seen 3 or 4 on the masters... No worries for me...

oz_mike said:
Just wondering,...

Are you playing your amp with the volume on 10? If not, you have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back