Anybody try a different speaker in their Rectoverb 25 combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
Hey all, im just wondering if any of you have tried a different speaker in the combo version??
I havent found any immediate need yet to change anything like tubes/speaker but having a whole bunch of extras sitting around will eventually get the better of me, I just know it.
I probably already would have tried a speaker swap out of curiosity already if the cab was a bit larger and easier to work with.
Well any thoughts would be great, thanks

There is a post where someone had changed the Fillmore 75W for a V30 and there was no huge difference, the conclusion was that the case/cab construction was the main reason of the original tone that the combo version has. But when you connect the amp to an external cab it sounds so much better. What kind of sound are you looking for? I know for sure that if you change preamp tubes you will experience a notorious difference because the stock ones are kind a warm/dark/smooth sounding. You can mix them in order to have ''your tone''.

well honestly there isn't a particular sound that I'm on the hunt for. I think the amp stock sounds great as is.
But just as you said above that adding a cab makes it sound so much better, I'm sure most around here know many times that a simple speaker swap can do the same. Im pretty sure Mesa always puts in a speaker they think sounds best to them with the amp and cab but from past experience that isn't always the case to my ears.

Anyway I find no need to currently buy a new speaker right now, I have a few different types sitting here that would cost me nothing but my time. As for tubes I also have more than I need and I know the day is coming when I start messing with them but that's obviously a much easier quick project.

I have to admit that i'm dieing to try a G12M in it, it probably wouldn't be the perfect match for the modern channel but this amp is great in the lesser gain modes, im thinking the 25 watt speaker could be a great match for it and push the hell out of it, but then again it may very well be way too warm sounding for this amp.

Does anyone know if the fillmore is a celestion rebranded or made exclusively to Mesa's specs???

I swapped in a V30 and left a review. I eventually put the Fillmore back in.

I ran it just now with a C90 in a bigger cab and it sounds really nice. Pretty much any cab or speaker change will make a difference.

The Fillmore is made by Eminence to Mesa specs.

Good luck!

Wow Eminence is making their speakers now!!! Boy have I been gone a while I guess.
I missed some stuff i'd say. I always liked celestion but eminence has always treated me well too. Yea I just took a close look at my filmore and it says made in USA.
Nice!

I know running it through a cab will make it sound better and bigger, it always does regarless of amp. I was actually looking for an external but decided against it trying to stay within reason, there just isnt a good reason for me to buy one for my needs.

I believe that Eminence has been making some of their lower powered speakers for a long time.

IIRC, the original Mark I/Super 60 came stock with an Eminence speaker, unless the customer specified something else.

From Mesa, regarding the new Fillmore:

"The Mesa/Boogie® Fillmore™ 75 speaker is the culmination of a nine-year effort that saw more than 500 custom prototypes from the world’s leading speaker manufacturers. We drove ‘em crazy with our fanatical demands! Finally, our old friends at Eminence Speaker in Kentucky (USA!) captured the magic of our Golden Reference speakers that date back to the peak of the hand-built British era."

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2013/11/mesa-boogie-fillmore-75-speakers/

Latest posts

Back