anybody have a Mesa Boogie Maverick?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
If so, what are your thoughts - good and bad. Also does it have a power break that allows you to drive the tubes hard, but still keep volumes low?

Someone in my area is selling a head for $400 so I am thining of stopping by to see/hear it.

Thanks

No "power brake". You can replace the 5AR4 rectifier tube with a 5V4 to get more "sag", and it reduces power a bit. Like most Boogies, it has a Master Volume to keep the overall loudness down while overdriving the pre-amp.
The Maverick is old-school: loose, chimey, and open-sounding.
It has a rectifier tube, but not the "Recto" sound.

if nothing is wrong with the head, then $400 is definitely a very good price. seems like combos, which cost more since they come with speaker(s), go for $800 or so on the used market.

did you try the search function? there have been several threads about ye olde maverick...

Musical123 said:
If so, what are your thoughts - good and bad. Also does it have a power break that allows you to drive the tubes hard, but still keep volumes low?

Someone in my area is selling a head for $400 so I am thining of stopping by to see/hear it.

Thanks
For 400-, I would snag it.
Had one years ago and mainly used it for a country gig.
When pushed on the clean channel, I could get some hair on it then boost it with pedals..Rarely used ch. 2.......... :?:

I quite like mine with single-coil guitars. I have the combo, and always found it a bit too dark with humbuckers, but I never experimented with changing the speakers.

$400? Definitely.

tiktok said:
I quite like mine with single-coil guitars. I have the combo, and always found it a bit too dark with humbuckers, but I never experimented with changing the speakers.

$400? Definitely.
I have just bougth a Maverick 1x12 combo. This one has a Celestion V-30. What was the original speaker coming with this combo and what speakers are all of you using?
Thanks and regards

Also... would you prefer the V30 or the Celestion C90 on this 1x12 Maverick combo?
Thanks in advance!

igfraso said:
I have just bougth a Maverick 1x12 combo. This one has a Celestion V-30. What was the original speaker coming with this combo and what speakers are all of you using?
Thanks and regards
I'm pretty sure the V-30 was standard issue.

$400, great deal! ... and I thought $650 2x12" was great price (mine).

Covers everything from clean to Classic Rock. But like above, not the hi-gain Recto sound like DR.

It has switchable rectifier, tube or silicon. For MESA, it's easy to use, "friendly user".

Yes... the Maverick is an awesome amp. Beautiful cleans and dumble (or boogie) like OD on the gain channel.

I have the 1x12 with the C90 speaker which I think was the original for this amp in the 1x12 version. The V30 was stock in the 2x12.

at $400 for the head, tell me if you don't buy it... I will.. :D

Hello to all - first time poster (after years of lurking...) here !

As to the Maverick: Bought mine (1x12 combo) new in 1996 after owning several other Boogies (Mk II, Studios, Calibers etc.).
It is a nice amp! Very vintage sounding, nicest Boogie clean channel I've ever heard. The gain channel is definitely old-school with some plexi-notion as well.
With the 1 x 12, the C-90 Speaker was stock.

For 400.- bucks I'd buy a head anywhere, anytime :p

If you get the head, take the money that's left, get a decent 2x12 cab (not loaded), break the bank and get youself a Celestion Alnico Gold and a Celestion G12H Heritage and you'll be in tone-heaven. Seriously!
After all these years thinking that the C-90 is a decent speaker (which it undoubtly is) and a perfect match for the Mav, I just put a Celestion Gold in there instead. WOW - it really opened up the amp and added sparkle and chime on top and some serious balls at the bottom. Fitted a 1x12 extension cab with the Heritage G12H and those two speakers are a perfect match. The Greenback adds some bite and further tight low end (55 Hz resonance frequency!).

Mind you: 400.- for the head and maybe 600.- to 800.- for the cab and you get yourself a superb little half stack that covers everything except heavy metal (which can be obtained with pedals, which the Mav takes really well) !

Latest posts

Back