Anybody done the bias pot mod on a Dual Recto? Opinions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingtiger

Reaction score
I'm thinking of re-tubing with JJ's from Eurotubes & am considering his suggestion of adding a bias pot. Any experiences with this mod? Necessary? Improvements?
Sorry if this is redundant...I'm a newbie here!
Thanks,
Tony

Bob sells some nice tubes. That said, don't do it. I've heard Rectos pre and post mod. Not worth the effort. There are other, less permanent ways of changing your tone that do more good.

Remember, to a hammer all problems are nails.

-P

Thanks, but I WOULD like to have options other than Boogie tubes or "cooler" 6L6's. Say I get some brand X tubes, get the head baise the usual way & don't like 'em. I have to keep getting components changed?
I'm not trying to argue, but is this what all the non-Boogie tube users do?
Tony

Just ask him to give you tubes which are in the normal bias range for a mesa.

He knows his stuff, its true, and he is the tube master. But really all his stuff about how mesas are biased really cold and how its really bad, take it with a grain of salt.

i'm willing to bet when you heard band X's recto sound, you said OMG!! likewise, the first time you plugged in, you said WOW! likewise, i know for a fact that most of the band x, y, z recto users keep the stock mesa tubes in. so...what i'm getting at is, a bias isn't really necessary. i really doubt it will change the tone night and day. tube swaps themselves provide minimal tone differences that only critical ears can distinguish (like us boogie nerds). i strongly favor a quality guitar over tubes. first try guitar, then try tubes, (or vice versa)...but the last thing you want to do with a mesa is a bias mod. that's when you have all the critical pieces and you say "this is the little straw that will break the camel's chest with big tone." horrible joke, but you're laughing now anyways. it should be the last thing when you are almost there.

+1 dont do it. My last two retubes came from Bob, and if he knows what amp they are going in (un-modded recto) he'll send you tubes with the correct current draw. #41 6L6's is what he sent me for a stock triple, and they sound fantastic. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Unless you can figure out an elegant, easy, and easy-to-reverse way to do it without hacking anything up, you will reduce the resale value of the amp with little or no benefit, and you spend time better spent on playing guitar etc.

I do not have a DR, but I have installed bias pots in a couple of amps, and all I noticed was that I could cause tubes to undergo nuclear meltdown if I set the bias incorrectly.

My 2 cents worth.

[/quote]+1 dont do it. My last two retubes came from Bob, and if he knows what amp they are going in (un-modded recto) he'll send you tubes with the correct current draw. #41 6L6's is what he sent me for a stock triple, and they sound fantastic. If it ain't broke dont fix it.
This sounds like the best way to go. Thanks Guys, I'm glad I asked the right people!

6550 tubes. Thats what i run sounds sweet. BTW everyone i just ordered the jjGZ34 rectifiers and they made a huge difference for the better on my dual. The mesa rectifiers sound bland and flat, the jj's have a good bite to them and they tighten it up just a tad. Eurotubes is a great place btw, good luck

Thanks, but I DON'T like 6550's! I had them in a '76 Sunn Model T that I had for about 25 years. Fine for some, but too crispy & loud for me. That's why I traded my Triple for this dual. I find the dual mare liquid & more manageable FOR ME. to each his own.

Latest posts

Back