Any suggestions for pre amp tubes in MK IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emg77

Reaction score
Hows it going? Ive looked in the forum to get some idea's , but I am still unsure. I just replaced all the tubes to JJ's .power and pre amp. It seems to me that it lost some articulation in the lead channel and mudded up a bit Im not to happy with the result with the lead channel. The clean or Rythym 1 channel I loved. I play high gain. So I was wondering which preamp spot I would swap out for the lead channel V1 ETc .. any suggestions on 12ax7 pre amp tubes I might try and which position would I trade out.... Thanks in advance.

This is what I've been using and have been happy with:

V1 - Tung-Sol (RI)
V2 - JJ
V3 - JJ
V4 - Stock Mesa
V5 - Mullard (RI)

Hey thanks for the reply... Can you give me an idea of the tones you are getting with this setup? Thanks

Well..I found that the Tung-Sols in the V1 slot brighten the amp a bit, but not in a ear splitting bad way. Just clarafied and gave more definition to the tones more. The JJ's I left in the gain stages and the Mullard just rounds it out in the PI slot.

I mostly play classic rock stuff (Beck, Page, Clapton, Hendrix), but I'm sure that this tube selection won't limit you to just that genre.

If I were you, I'd start by just trying a Tung-sol in V1 first and see how you like it. Then you could decide about the others later.

Good Luck!

Hey SWBO,

So this was what I ended up with and still not totally satisfied.
V1= Tung-sol
V2= JJ
V3= JJ
V4= Mullard
PI= Tung-sol.

Its a bit too bright now. lol .... What Significance do these positions play. I think Im missing "THE MESA TONE" So V1 I was thinking of throwing a mesa 12ax7 in V2 Tung-sol and V3 mesa again and leaving the mullard in v4 as well as the tung sol in the PI... I like the articulation of the tung sol just too bright... I just dont know what each of the positions effect. And my mark iv is set up in a rack and is not as simple as just popping different tubes in and out lol. Thanks

V1A = input stage
V1B = Tone recovery stage

V2A = Third gain stage (rhythm Modes)
and 5th lead gain stage
V2B = FX Return

V3A = First Lead High gain
V3B = Reverb Return

V4A = Second Lead High gain
V4B = Reverb Send

V5 = Phase Inverter

I wouldn't use the Tung-Sol in the PI stage, try swapping that out with the Mullard. You usually want a balanced tube there since it's just before the power stage. That may be where all the brightness is coming from.

Well you were right man. That is the tone! I did it just as you said and I couldnt be happier. Great tone I appriciate your help! Thanks
swbo101 said:
V1A = input stage
V1B = Tone recovery stage

V2A = Third gain stage (rhythm Modes)
and 5th lead gain stage
V2B = FX Return

V3A = First Lead High gain
V3B = Reverb Return

V4A = Second Lead High gain
V4B = Reverb Send

V5 = Phase Inverter

I wouldn't use the Tung-Sol in the PI stage, try swapping that out with the Mullard. You usually want a balanced tube there since it's just before the power stage. That may be where all the brightness is coming from.

Latest posts

Back