Any Maverick or Blue Angel fans out there?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
:D

The GAS demons are here again. I'm looking at a Maverick or Blue Angel from Ebay for a great Blues amp.

I already have a DC-5, Heartbreaker, Tremoverb, & Roadster.

:shock: Can you say "Addict?"

What do you guys think?

I like the idea of channel switching on the Maverick, and the fact that they are under $1000. The Blue Angel looks like I will have to use a pedal to get great cleans and leads.

The Heartbreaker, with a few choice mods, is great for Blues, but it's huge and loud and heavy. I like the idea of a 6V6 or EL-84 amp.

I've owned the DC-2 & 3, and am currently looking to get another 3, but I want an amp that will make me want to play ZZ or BB all day long.

Can't afford a Lonestar. :cry: :cry:

I'm a Maverick Fan. :D

... but yet to be an owner. :cry:

There's something about EL84s being powered by 5AR4[?] rectifier tube and get some output Xformer "30 watt warm saturating".

Koprofag said:
Lonestar Special?

I don't really see the point in either Blue Angel or Maverick if you already got a Heartbreaker.

Worth mentioning is that I've played none of these amps, but have read up on a few.
Maverick or Blue Angel comparision with a Heartbreaker:

EL84s -vs- 6L6s
Class A -vs- Class A/B
low power (warm power tube distortion) -vs- high power (clean headroom)

Koprofag said:
Maverick or Blue Angel comparision with a Heartbreaker:

EL84s -vs- 6L6s
Class A -vs- Class A/B
low power (warm power tube distortion) -vs- high power (clean headroom)

Yes, but what about half power switch and Yellow Jackets? All I'm saying.. grass is always greener. :)

Yes, true but the output transformer is still a "headroom clean" 100 watt output transformer on the HeartBreaker.

Alot of the "mojo" tone that low power guitar tube amp lovers hear comes from also from output transformer and not to mentioned low power handling speakers. That adds characteristic to the tone.

But its all a matter of preference. I would say the majority of the members here probably don't care much about high power output transformer since they're using massive amount of preamp gain while another board of vintage tube amp aficionados think alot about output transformer.

I like very much my HB's, they have great tones but the Maverick 4x10 is what I love, the tone is just perfect for my taste and they are very different.

:D

I got the HB fully up & running Saturday. UPS had destroyed the cabinet. I rebuilt the cab, recovered it, and repaired some minor electronic damage. Now the amp sings. I found an old mod in Channel 1 that I removed and now I love the amp.

There is definitely a difference in Power Transformers, Speakers, etc. between large & small amps. A Fender Deluxe Reverb is renowned for it's super sweet breakup at lower volumes, while a Twin Reverb is renowned for it's clean headroom.

I'm looking for something small that is light and not excruciatingly loud.

I'm planning on going to Phoenix in a couple of weeks to try every amp I can find.

Latest posts

Back