Any EL34 users?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I've been curious about running EL34s in my V for a few weeks so I borrowed some tubes from a friend. I'm running a pair of JJ E34Ls in the outer sockets and Mesa EL34s in the inner sockets (at 90 watts/CH). So far I like the results. CH1 is still nice and clean. CH2 is less harsh in the trebles. CH3 seems to have more gain so I can back off on the gain knob. Top end is smoother overall and the mids have more character/crunch. Haven't had too much time with the EL34s, but I like what I've heard so far.

Anyone else running EL34s? What do you like/dislike about this config?

I have been running KT77s in mine for about a month and love it. I know it's not exactly a EL34 but close enough. I prefer the mid range crunch over the 6L6s. I haven't lost any low end and to my ears its even tighter and smoother overall.

copy/paste from a thread we posted some time ago...
JOEY B. wrote:
The MkV head owned by Mike ( aka "lesterpaul") was run with STR-440's in the outer sockets and STR 450's in the middle sockets today in a test session. NO issues whatsoever in the 90 and 45 watt power settings. In fact, with this tube layout and the bias select in 6L6 mode, we got SCARY close to the original simul/EQ/Rev C+ sound with the MkIV mode of the MkV. The 10 watt power setting is the only thing different with the MkV power section (aside from the inner pair being the ones with the hotter bias, instead of the outers on the older Marks), and if you go there with a "blended" tube setup, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

**** skippy a few el 34 thoughts ...it was nice in the cleans with a Les Paul..which has "fatness"...cant comment on a superstrat (yet...)-more growl with the proper EL-34's ..we tried the 450's,the GT El 34M, and the Sylvania 6CA7's..(****!!)..
the skinny...the EL's had warmer highs,and were THE DEAL in Mk 1mode!!!less bottom end compliments the MK 1 mode, which is TOTALLY BADASS with good 34's in there...we were in MArshall mode a few times, with classic tones bouncin' off the walls...we were able to get a good transition between all 3 channels using fat or tweed on 1/crunch on chan 2/IV mode on 3......IMO, MK 1 mode is a specialized application available with this amp..if you MUST use chan 3 in conjunction with chan 2, you almost have to be in extreme setting, due to the vast diff. in eq...I really dig it(mk1)...as Joey stated , we got scary close blending the tube types...(thats why I bought some tubes from JB before I left...)if you are new to Mk amps, take note of what JB printed in above post regarding tube positions,etc...
bottom line, this is a mark amp-it allows you many different applications with a the swap of a few tubes....we swapped quite a few today in 4 plus hours of aural assault, and got quite a few different results...when she is cranked, the differences in power tubes are very apparent/even between the 34's we played with today
and yes, if you are trying to get more Metallica-fied, I would think el 34's are the way for you

-I have a simul runing a combo and a coli running ALL 6L6's, so the all el 34 V is a nice and no brainer compliment-IF you can get your hands on some old Sylvania glass, however, the V enters a class all by itself(as you would expect :D with any MK)

EL34 amps are the most badass for distortion sounds. I've been listening to RATM this week and the 2205 amp kicks *** (I know some guys don't like that sound but it's legendary JCM800 Marshall).

I can't afford a new amp anymore but I'd like to hear a JJE34L loaded Mark V!

Cleans will suffer with EL34 tubes but that's why it would be cool to have 2xEL34 for the dist channel and 2x6L6 for the clean channel and only those pairs are used when you switch channels.

Any comments? I know with simul-class it's different....

rabies said:

I've got a pair and I'm picking up another pair on Monday so I'll be able to let you know how a quad of these tubes sound in the Mark V. The pair sounded pretty dang good though!

I've since switched back to 6L6s until I get the rest of the E34Ls. For now I still prefer the 6L6s, but man that midrange EL34 crunch makes distortion sound so tasty.

MusicManJP6 said:
rabies said:

I've got a pair and I'm picking up another pair on Monday so I'll be able to let you know how a quad of these tubes sound in the Mark V. The pair sounded pretty dang good though!

I've since switched back to 6L6s until I get the rest of the E34Ls. For now I still prefer the 6L6s, but man that midrange EL34 crunch makes distortion sound so tasty.

To me, the optimal amp would run 2xEL34 in ch1 and 2x6L6 in ch2 (or vice versa). My Rivera S120 stereo amp has this capability. Since it has two independent sides, like a Marshall dual monobloc power amp, I can install this quartet and bias independently. I should try this out.

I received some TungSol 12AX7s and JJ E34Ls and just installed them all. TungSols in v1 - v4 and 4xE34Ls (matched quad) in EL34 bias mode. I think it sounds fantastic! The clean channel is warmer and has a nice 'purr', Channel 2 is smoother and the breakup is smoother, and CH3 sounds more balanced and has a great crunch in the mids. I'm gonna leave this config installed for a while because it really does sound sweet!

Latest posts

Back