Any body catch this one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless Rocks

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-amplifier_W0QQitemZ280246347966QQihZ018QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sure does look like a black dot with the 105 tranny! Imagine a C+ or maybe a bluestripe upgrade on that baby with rhythm 2. How bout the 100watt C+ with "RCS" initials?

Hi, my first post.

I'm about an hour's drive from San Francisco and I don't own a boogie yet, so I've been eyeing this item since it popped up. The local pickup only might keep the bids relatively low.

Been doing a little bit of reading about the Mark III series, but I'm such a noob!

Some questions...

What makes the 105 transformer special?

It's possible to perform a C+ mod on a Mark III?

I doubt I'll drive out from North Carolina to snatch this one. So go for it! The "105" Power Transformer is largely responsible for the much beloved sound of the infamous Mark IIC+. When the IIC+ went out of production the last of the 105's were used in the first few Mark III's that were produced. And yes you are in a very close proximity to send it in to Mike Bendinelli at Mesa for the C+ upgrade. Best of Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Group effort-I like that. This board is pretty cool. Sharing and spreading the praise, that's a welcome change from some of the other forums.

I used to pour over Mesa catalogs as a kid, and now I'm in a position to acquire so I've been researching and browsing the used market for mark series boogies.

Don't know where this search will end up, but nostaglia notwithstanding, I'll let me ears decide.

goodwill559 said:
Group effort-I like that. This board is pretty cool. Sharing and spreading the praise, that's a welcome change from some of the other forums.
Quoted for truth! I love this forum, and the fact that it is head and shoulders above 99% of any other forums in terms of helpfulness and lack of immaturity means I'm on here more than anywhere else, and happily at that! :D

EleventhHour2139 said:
goodwill559 said:
Quoted for truth! I love this forum, and the fact that it is head and shoulders above 99% of any other forums in terms of helpfulness and lack of immaturity means I'm on here more than anywhere else, and happily at that! :D
stfu n00b

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
dodger916 said:
gts said:
ok i'll claim being clueless, what does this mean?
I'm guessing "Shut The F*/& Up, Newbie", with a heavy dose of sarcasm given that the quoted post was praising helpfulness and lack of immaturity!
:wink:
Helpful, sarcastic, AND immature!
What more could one ask of a forum? :D

So, Goodwill, did you get it??!!

Oh, and it's sitting on a 2x12 half-back cab...get it too!!!

I was outbid on this item, but when I click on the winning bidder's feedback, I see that items that he has sold in the past were located in Pennsylvania which is a long way from San Francisco. Either he didn't understand the meaning of local pickup only, or has a mule nearby to ship the amp to him.

I didn't bid as high as I could have because I acquired my first Boogie on Friday. A DC-3 which sounds absolutely beautiful. It's everything I have been looking for in an amp. Incredible, deep, full, warm, powerful, hard hitting, it's just eargasm after eargasm.

OK, so my hunch was correct. The high bidder failed to comprehend that this was a local pickup only item.

I accepted seller's ebay second chance offer and I'm going to pick it up after work tonight.

Wow, I can't believe I went from no Mesa Boogie exposure to getting two vintage heads in a single week. It's crazy.

Can't wait to compare the DC-3 & the Mark iii black dot...

goodwill559 said:
OK, so my hunch was correct..............
Wow, I can't believe I went from no Mesa Boogie exposure to getting two vintage heads in a single week. It's crazy.

Can't wait to compare the DC-3 & the Mark iii black dot...

Congrats '
Your in for some knob tweakin' ear bleedin' fun .

Perhaps a EV loaded Theile is in your future .

:wink:

OK, got it home and fired it up.

Basically, it sounds good, although not very bold sounding, somewhat tired or anemic. Plus, there's a problem.

-With the EQ switch positioned in the middle, EQ OUT, there is sound.

-When moving the switch up to EQ AUTO, or down to EQ IN, there's a loud pop/thump followed by no output except for a humming sound.

-The hum level does not change when the master volume knob is manipulated in either direction.
And while in the EQ AUTO and EQ IN position, the only other sound that can be produced is a very intense crackling when the lowermost EQ slider is moved up or down. No other sliders crackle.

If it's a service issue, so be it. I'm less than an hour from Petaluma, but if it is a simple maintenance issue, then I'd like to take care of it if possible.

I think this amp has much more to offer and I want to nurse it back to health.

Feel free to offer any suggestions!

After thinking about it last night and this morning, my current plan of action is to bring it to Mesa, have them repair the eq problem, and bring the rest of the amp up to spec.

I want to hear it the way it was designed to sound. I'm still pondering the C+ mod, but not before I have a chance to evaluate this mark iii's native sound.

Also, for the curious, I took some photos.

Enjoy!

What's DRG 27?

Back