Another Roadster weird sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ribboz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
again this is just my first mesa so I'm learning the ins and outs of their type of amp. Really enjoying it so far.
Considering modding it, but that can be in the future.

OK I figured a way to make the amp never make a sound when switching into channel 3. Thats all good, its quiet transition between channels. :D Happy there.

BUT, ok lets say I start the amp, while I'm in channel 3. Then I switch to channel 1 OR 2 (this effect happens on either)(only once though) when I start on channel 3 or 4 and switch to channel 1 or 2, I get a THUD sound. Its sounds alot like the sound when you adjust power setting on amps while they're running. Like when I had a mesa 50/50(roadster is still my first, just a power amp doesn't count :D) the 50/50 would make the same sound switching from 100 watt to 50 while it was running. THUS why I only did that twice and then never switched while it was on again :D didn't want to mess anything up. :D

The reason I'm asking all this is I figured the sounds the amp makes between switching channels has something to do with the mode settings. You know how everyone complained channel 3 makes a sound when switching to it. Well it only makes that sound in any mode BUT modern. Also different power settings affects whether it makes a new sound. If you keep each channel in the same settings in the back and modern in both 3 and 4, then there is no sound when switching channels.(all 100 and diode)(example of what I keep it in) OTHER THAN of course the normal click sound. But that's part of its design.
BUT this THUD sound that happens on channel 1 and 2 didn't start happening till a week after I figured how to make channel switching silent. So I'm saying its new. :\

So yeah, to be clear. Start in channel 3 or 4, then switch to channel 1 or 2 and get THUD sound. sounds like switching between different power settings. also only does it ONCE, then never again. Unless I turn off the amp entirely and back on. Also all channels are set to 100 watt in the back :D

Don't know why I didn't say this straight out. Why is it doing this and how may I stop it, if I can? :)

If it only does it once and it goes away then its probably fine. Yes, normally a thud/pop noise occurs when switching from a clean to ch3/4 which dissipates after a couple switches. Your amp just likes to do it opposite. I've had different rectos and they've all managed to pop during switching but eventually dissipate.

Well its just weird, it didn't do this for the first week I had it in this setup. Also the pop sound made when going from 3/4 -> 1/2 is louder than the one made when going from 1/2 -> 3/4, like the amp is switching power settings. Just doesn't seem right.

Also, thank you for replying :D

If you cycle through the channels on the footswitch when you first fire up the amp, before turning off standby, you should be good. ;)

Back