another petrucci rig question..(sorry)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelfatu

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a Mark IV, but I wanted to know if this amp can produce awesome crunch tones with a JP EBMM guitar??

I was looking for this exact tone he played on the g3 tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKEG0BIywU

I love petrucci's liquidy tone on his solos.. I know for this past g3 2006 tour, he used 2 mark iv heads along with his iic+ preamp. (see below)

petruccirig.jpg

I have a iic+ head (still being looked at by Mesa Boogie) and am seroiusly thinking about A/B'ing it with a mark iv (if I decide to get one).. What I am looking for is THAT tone.

I am getting more and more in mark's than my RK2. The one thing that bothers me about my RK2 head is the fuzziness (I think its a rectifier characteristic). I just want a smooth crunch tone...

Anyone have any both the guitar and possibly head? Just wanted your opinions..

oh man, this tone is totally nailed! but for me , i find the mark IV starts to get super tight like jessica biels *** after volume 3, it turns into a nother monster, if you get a mark IV , you'll totally get this tone,

i love that vibrato!

....on to the topic, if i'm not mistaken, boogiebabies has the guitar and the heads. i may be wrong about the guitar though.

yeah, it would be cool if boogiebabies showed us some of his clips, knwo what would be real cool, if he layered 2 mark IIC+s and a mark IV tone all together that would be awesome!

Axel, I have a Mark IV short head. I'm pretty sure you could get that tone with a Mark IV, after all Petrucci is using 2 of em on that tour. I have one for sale if you're interested by the way. PM me if you want.

-Phil

Thanks guys for the replies.. I didn't even know the mark iv can nail this tone... that is freaking amazing....

Does petrucci use the 2 heads to double the sound and make it "thicker"? If so, can 1 head achieve it just as well?

Boogiebabies, what is your opinion and do you have any clips? :D

Of course, even using multiple cabinets makes the tone thicker. It's not just a matter of getting a thick tone, but if you look further into JP's use of TC products he goes into how he delays the outward signal which adds stereo separation. Using two amps through two cabinets will give you stereo, but no real spacial seperation. This is the trick to a HUGE tone, one of which I employ in the 92 DR and MK III rig. Think Images and Words and depending on lowering the treble, Awake all in the confines if my music room.

If you want the secret to spacial separation, please send $ 19.95 or $ 15 Euro to [email protected]. No E-Checks please. :D

Latest posts

Back