another painful new guy question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoangus

Reaction score
Old guy, 40+, haven't played much in ten years, kids do that to ya! Well, I've owned Fenders and Marshalls, never had a Mesa. While I like Metal, I'm not a metal player, more 50's thru 80's kind of guy, Presley to Costello, Steely Dan, Beatles, and many one hit wonders. Probably best suited to a Lonestar special, especially since most of my playing will be home bound. But looking at Ebay, I wonder about a Rectoverb or even an older Mk III. Could you guys enlighten me? I have done some deep searching, but after a while, I'm starting to blur over whether or not I've already read some of the posts.

By the way, I currently play an Ibanez RG770. I'm a Les Paul guy at heart whose guitar heros all played Fenders (Hendrix, Cropper and Belew). When my kids were young, I kind of gave up playing, and just kept a cheap amp (Tubeworks hybrid) and the Ibanez, relinquishing my Marshall half stack and Strat. Now, I'm back and I'm looking for a couple of pieces of gear that may be the last I ever need. I guess my first thought for replacing the guitar is either a PRS 22 or McCarty (depending upon if I can get over the lack of tremolo) or the Eric Johnson Strat, so I'm looking for an amp that would complement either. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking for an amp first.

Thanks for your opinions. This is a really cool board, and I appreciate its availability for old players like me.

Geo

I'd check out the Mark series, the MarkIV sounds right up your alley.

The Lonestar is great but I don't think it's as versatile as the MarkIV personally.

Platypus said:

The Lonestar is great but I don't think it's as versatile as the MarkIV personally.

thats a great amp, but its not going to be that fun at bedroom levels.

Plus the learning curve on a MkIV is insane. Probably the highest of any Mesa amp out there. And if you've been out of the loop for 10 years, and arent super anal about dialing your tone in, Id say this amp isnt for you.

The MarkIII is going to be easier to dial in, but still not what I would call a bedroom amp. Still, an awsome amp though. Very versatile.

Keep in mind, lots of features do not exaxtly = versatile

The rectoverb (Im guessing you are talking about the combo) is also a great amp. Of the recto series, these have the best clean sounds, which makes them a lot more versatile than their bigger brothers, without loosing the abillity to put out punishing high gain sounds. This amp makes most of its juice in the pre amp, so its not needed to crank it to get a decent tone out of it, but it definitely sounds sweeter with a bit of power tube break up, and at 50w can still be a bit much for home use.

Lonestar series (both of em) are great amps. The special obviously makes a lot of sense with its various output choices. Lots of great sounds to be had here. Should you ever choose to induldge your metal side, this amp will leave you feeling cold, as it does not do high gain sounds. Of course you could just fix this with a simple pedal. Over all though, for the the type sounds you seem to be looking for, and for the practicality, this is probably the best choice of the amps you mentioned.

I would also consider the F-30, which has a world of versatility in it. Incredible cleans all the way to over the top metal distortion and all points in between. It has reverb, and best of all its very very easy to use.

If you dont mind looking at older and used stuff, the DC-3 and smaller Nomad amps would also be a great choice.

PS.

skip the eric johnson. Most overpriced overated fender product of the modern era. For the price they ask it should be made by the custom shop.

Id either look at other Fender products, or just get the PRS.

This is all subjective for sure...but in MHO this is what I experienced in my selection process...

I'm also 40+ and hadn't played in 15 years! Was a Fender player myself... Trust me... try the MkIV ... I toke home a Rectoverb...and a Lonestar Classic. The Rectoverb is harsh... rip your face off... Great for the younger guys... The Lonestar is beautiful for cleans but sloppy/mushy bottom end for high gain...and very little high gain at that. Haven't tried the Stilletto. But the MkIV is very versitile and althought the reverb isn't that good... everything else is a 10 or an 11! And you can get an awesome sound at low volume. I had the controls figured out pretty quick but you do have to read the manual 3 or 4 times. But you can get almost any sound out of it once to figure it out. The F30 is a pretty nice sounding am too...but the MkIV can get the smae sounds and more. Good luck in your selection and welcome to the Mesa Clan....

The smooth Holdsworth, Vai sounds of the 80's.... The MkIV can get... And because it's a very tight amp, fast runs down low track extremely well... Mine absolutely sings with sustain I heard a MKIIc+ on a sound clip and it was really nice too...

by the way... I should clear something up...I didn't TOKE home... I took home LOL Anyway..the MKIV is nice at any volume

also use a Digital Reverb abd delay in the effects loop

What HE said 8)

no soul said:
Platypus said:

thats a great amp, but its not going to be that fun at bedroom levels.

The rectoverb (Im guessing you are talking about the combo) is also a great amp. Of the recto series, these have the best clean sounds, which makes them a lot more versatile than their bigger brothers, without loosing the abillity to put out punishing high gain sounds. This amp makes most of its juice in the pre amp, so its not needed to crank it to get a decent tone out of it, but it definitely sounds sweeter with a bit of power tube break up, and at 50w can still be a bit much for home use.

Lonestar series (both of em) are great amps. The special obviously makes a lot of sense with its various output choices. Lots of great sounds to be had here. Should you ever choose to induldge your metal side, this amp will leave you feeling cold, as it does not do high gain sounds. Of course you could just fix this with a simple pedal. Over all though, for the the type sounds you seem to be looking for, and for the practicality, this is probably the best choice of the amps you mentioned.

I would also consider the F-30, which has a world of versatility in it. Incredible cleans all the way to over the top metal distortion and all points in between. It has reverb, and best of all its very very easy to use.

If you dont mind looking at older and used stuff, the DC-3 and smaller Nomad amps would also be a great choice.

I was in your situation about a year ago, staring at my star shaped Guild X-88 and thinking.."I can't keep playing this...it's 2005 for crying out loud!"
Comparing double-cut double-hums, I ended up with an Ibanez AR2000VV, which although out of production, can be had closer to $1000 used as opposed to a McCarty. The Ibanez is amazing, beautiful, tonefull and much faster playing than the PRS. Now that being said, I do miss the tremolo and would get a PRS custom 22 or 24 if I had the spare change.
BTW, my avatar doesn't do the Ibanez justice...here's a link to better pictures
http://www.ibanezregister.com/classified/ibanez-general/fs%20ar2000vv.htm

geoangus said:
I guess my first thought for replacing the guitar is either a PRS 22 or McCarty (depending upon if I can get over the lack of tremolo) or the Eric Johnson Strat, so I'm looking for an amp that would complement either. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking for an amp first.

Thanks for your opinions. This is a really cool board, and I appreciate its availability for old players like me.

Geo

geoangus said:
Old guy, 40+, haven't played much in ten years, kids do that to ya! Well, I've owned Fenders and Marshalls, never had a Mesa. While I like Metal, I'm not a metal player, more 50's thru 80's kind of guy, Presley to Costello, Steely Dan, Beatles, and many one hit wonders. Probably best suited to a Lonestar special, especially since most of my playing will be home bound. But looking at Ebay, I wonder about a Rectoverb or even an older Mk III. Could you guys enlighten me? I have done some deep searching, but after a while, I'm starting to blur over whether or not I've already read some of the posts.

By the way, I currently play an Ibanez RG770. I'm a Les Paul guy at heart whose guitar heros all played Fenders (Hendrix, Cropper and Belew). When my kids were young, I kind of gave up playing, and just kept a cheap amp (Tubeworks hybrid) and the Ibanez, relinquishing my Marshall half stack and Strat. Now, I'm back and I'm looking for a couple of pieces of gear that may be the last I ever need. I guess my first thought for replacing the guitar is either a PRS 22 or McCarty (depending upon if I can get over the lack of tremolo) or the Eric Johnson Strat, so I'm looking for an amp that would complement either. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking for an amp first.

Geo
Greetings fellow Mesa newbie. My main guitar is an 1966 ES-335 and it loves the LSS. I too play oldies. It gives a very Voxy like Beatle sound and I can't tell you how good it sounds doing Creme. It's the ultimate home rig because of the 5 watt setting. Funny thing, the 5 watt is still pretty loud, but the sound is my favorite. My roots were big Fenders, I still love Twins, but these are sounds Twins can't do. If I had to have one amp and no pedals, the LSS would be my pick. I only hope it's trouble-free.

There have been a lot of opinions on this...

I play classic rock and use an LSC 2x12. It will do rock, clean, or blues with ease. I did find it needed a little boost with the high gain. An Ibanez TS-9 took care of this. I play clean at 100 watts and dirty at 50 watts. I really like this amp, it is very versatile. I had a rectoverb and was not too happy with the cleans (not to mention the thing weighed like 95 lbs.)

The Strat was definitely easier to dial in the sound. My Les Paul took a little more work, but it's there now. I personally don't see a reason for another amp, I'll stick with this one. Good luck with whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you have mentioned.

JoeVFR said:
There have been a lot of opinions on this...

I play classic rock and use an LSC 2x12. It will do rock, clean, or blues with ease. I did find it needed a little boost with the high gain. An Ibanez TS-9 took care of this. I play clean at 100 watts and dirty at 50 watts. I really like this amp, it is very versatile. I had a rectoverb and was not too happy with the cleans (not to mention the thing weighed like 95 lbs.)

The Strat was definitely easier to dial in the sound. My Les Paul took a little more work, but it's there now. I personally don't see a reason for another amp, I'll stick with this one. Good luck with whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you have mentioned.

I agree, this is the sensible solution, I just always wanted an A type amp. The unsensible(?) thing to do is A/B with Twin and that's just what I did. :)

TheRazMeister said:

beautiful guitar Raz, but if you like her so much why are you selling her?
and if they can be found for circa 1000(Im assuming USD) why are you asking 1700 quid for yours??? :wink:

No Soul, Sorry for the confusion...that's just a sample pic...mine is staying with me for life... 8)
I bought mine on Ebay last May for $800.00 with a few dings and belt scraches on the back but I've since seen mint versions go for only slightly more. They made an AR3000VV which is a fancier version with block inlays and a more Les Paul style body thickness (both were made in Japan), but for whatvever reason, Ibanez decided not to continue with high end Artists and only make the AR300 which is made in Korea. (Paul Gilbert and Satriani both own an AR3000VV.)
http://www.umenaka.com/syasin/syasin/Ibz%20%93%C1%89%BFAR3000VV.50.jpg

no soul said:
TheRazMeister said:

beautiful guitar Raz, but if you like her so much why are you selling her?
and if they can be found for circa 1000(Im assuming USD) why are you asking 1700 quid for yours??? :wink:

Hey man, new guy questions are the best kind.

Anyway, I think the Rectoverb combo is where it's at. Just so you know, it has solid state ONLY rectification. So, if the tube rec thing is what you want, this aint got it. I love these things, though. I actually want to buy one in April.

Here's something. Get on Ebay and see if you can find a "Studio .22". These are great little amps that were made in the Late 80's/early 90's. I have one, and I use it more than anything else. Easy to use and super versatile. Also, small... but don't let that fool you. It's quite loud. Easily gigable in smaller Honky-Tonks and Beer Joints. Anything 600 sq ft or less at resonable volume.

Hope this helps. Glad to see you're back in the game.

Your situation sound familiar:

1. On the guitars, make sure you try a PRS Cu 24. I think it does the strat sounds MUCH better than the 22; also, make sure any McCarty you get has the push pull coil tap. Mine does a great job on using the neck pup single coil (sounds pretty stratty).

2. I've had a MK IV and currently have a LSS and a Road King. I always think I gave up too soon on the MK IV; I just could not get a good clean out of it but I didn't try a lot of speaker combinations that might have worked.

3. The LSS is a great amp ( I have the 1 x 12); you can get Fender cleans (great reverb), grear Fender blackface overdrive, and a great Marshall snarl as well as the Boogie metal tones. Of all my Boogies, its been the easiset to quickly dial in- the factory recommendations are right on. Think long and hard about cabinets; I wish I had the head with a 2 x 12 or perhpas even 2 1 x 12's. I'm a big fan of speaker flexibility.

4. The Road King is just awesome- I haven't even dialied in the third and fourth channels yet cause I can't get off the first two--- serious dough, though and serious weight, too.

5. Stick with Boogie. Legendary customer service and reliability and, when compared to a lot of the boutiques, good economics.

Mark IV will cover everthing from coutry, jazz, classic rock, and metal.

FYI. If you have your heart set on a McCarty, Willcut has a special run produced of McCartys with trems.

http://www.willcuttguitars.com/brandsubentries.asp?brandid=1&subid=110

brianf

I have a PRS Custom 24. I hated the 5-way switch, so I replaced it with a Push-Pull coil splitter and a 3-way switch.

It has a Duncan Alnico II in the Neck and a Duncan Custom 5 in the Bridge.

Very nice sounding and playing guitar.

I have 2 2004 US Strat Deluxes with Alder body and SCN/Bill Lawrence pickups, and S-1 Switching. I really like these guitars a lot.

My favorite by far is a 2000 US Strat Deluxe Ash body, with Lace Hot Golds and a Hot Gold Humbucker in the Bridge. This guitar has lower output pickups so it really lets the amp sing.

I am rapidly becoming a Strat man and will be selling my PRS soon. It hasn't been played in over a year and deserves a better home.

I have had the Rectoverb Series II Combo and a Mark IV (used as a head and a combo) recently.

I am in the same situation as you, had some kids, didn't play for a while.

My kids are still small, so I have to base my choices on what works in my environment. I also stopped gigging when the kids were born, so I don't need a Road King.

The Rectoverb was very versatile and sounded very good at lower volumes with EL34's and a Vintage 30 in it. I really liked this amp and the Solo Boost. I still wish I had this amp even though the Reverb was terrible. I might get another one eventually and add a Tube Reverb circuit.

The Mark IV was incredibly versatile, but I couldn't unleash it. I had to let it go simply because it had way more bells & whistles on it than I needed for what I do. I was able to buy 2 DC's and an Avatar 4x12 cab for what I sold the Mark IV for. I don't miss it a bit, but it was nice.

I second the Sudio 22. I would get the 22+ or DC-2 with Graphic EQ.

I have a DC-2 without the EQ and a DC-3 and DC-5 with EQ. It definitely adds a lot of versatillity to the amp. I use it for a Solo Boost in either channel and it works very well. I can set my Rhythm tones to be a bit more chunky and add some Mids & Highs with the EQ when I need them. Very nice indeed.

I was torn between the LSC & a Mk III blue strip, ended up going with the Mk III. I'm sure I wouldn't have been disappointed with the LSC, but I found a MK III hardwood combo that I couldn't say no to. And when I was playing back in the 80's, the Mk's were what I would have bought if I had the scratch. I'll follow up the post after I have some fun dialing it in.

Back