Another Mark III Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMz

Reaction score
Hello folks;

I'm thinking of getting a MkIII. I'm considering a combo that I can purchase locally for $800. I haven't seen it personally yet so I asked the guy about what stripe it has but he can't be sure if it is a purple stripe or a blue stripe. Is there any way to tell one from another? Serial # maybe? Is $800 a good price for either a blue or purple stripe?

Thanks for your help.

serial#

in the teens is purple
in the 20's is blue

good price depending on options/condition

scott

$800 is a good price.

The serial thing is a little fuzzy, but it can be an indicator. I've seen a couple of blues stripes as low as 15 and 16xxx the other day, but most are in the 20+ range since they were both a production run amp and made to order during the green stripe phase, you might see a blue stripe in the 27s. Mine is, and it's a 1994.

igfraso worked on these serial numbers awhile back which are some decent guidelines (with the blue stripe exception, IMO, because they have the largest overlap of production)

black ('85): 15000 to 16715
- purple ('86): 16657 to 19120
- red ('87): 19100 to 21863
- blue ('88~'89): 21825 to 25000
- green ('89~'98): 24940 to 28384

The serial number thing is so sketchy at this point, the only good indicator to go by is the color of the 'stripe' on the amp. :lol:

But as Sonic posted, that is pretty close to what we've seen so far. I think the $800 is a nice price. Is it Simulclass/GEQ? Usually the non-simul/non-geq go for a bit less.

On all blue stripes, I think the logo underneath the power switches reads "Mesa/Boogie Mark III", whereas I think purple stripes would read "Mesa/Boogie Ltd." in that spot. I'm not positive, but I think they switched that sometime during the red stripe era.

Whoopysnorp said:
On all blue stripes, I think the logo underneath the power switches reads "Mesa/Boogie Mark III", whereas I think purple stripes would read "Mesa/Boogie Ltd." in that spot. I'm not positive, but I think they switched that sometime during the red stripe era.

My purple actually just says 'Mesa Boogie"....my red says 'Mesa Boogie Mark III'. The black stripes I've seen indeed say 'Mesa/Boogie Ltd'. Why so confusing!? :lol:

Ok folks;

I just confirmed it is a blue stripe combo simul-class, EQ, rev. The serial is 24XXX.

What can you tell me about the blue stripe MkIII? As I've read it seems to be the most aggressive of the MkIII's.

did you see this?

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

$800 is good, but I'd say offer in the $700's... you never know. probably needs service if it never has been, plus local deal, you are saving the seller the PITA of shipping

scott

Neptical said:
Whoopysnorp said:

My purple actually just says 'Mesa Boogie"....my red says 'Mesa Boogie Mark III'. The black stripes I've seen indeed say 'Mesa/Boogie Ltd'. Why so confusing!? :lol:

that's just the evolution of mesa's face plates... the older of those being "Mesa/Boogie Ltd."

scott

Either way, you'll definitely enjoy the Mark III, some folks (audience) commented that my Mark III sounded "fuller" than my Mark V...their opinion anyway. Get the R2 volume mod, definitely makes the amp more usable in live situations.

SonicProvocateur said:
$800 is a good price.

The serial thing is a little fuzzy, but it can be an indicator. I've seen a couple of blues stripes as low as 15 and 16xxx the other day, but most are in the 20+ range since they were both a production run amp and made to order during the green stripe phase, you might see a blue stripe in the 27s. Mine is, and it's a 1994.

Hi Sonic,
some black stripes have been modified to different stripes by Mike Bendinelli on demand by the owners.
I have a serial number in the 15xxx that Mike modded into a red stripe.

As you properly say, the serial thing is fuzzy. It is just helpful to give some indication.
Best regards

Back