Another " help me decide which Mesa" thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelmozart

Reaction score
hi everyone, my apologises for another newbie post like this. i've been on the forum for a couple of days and did my 'search' and i now have a better understanding of the various models available. but it looks like i'm starting to need more specific experiences.
in a nutshell, i'm playing the ibanez universe models and my dream tone is a cross btw that classic SRV ( where every note screams!) + heavy&tight Carass + HUGE EVH tone.
i know thats probably alot to ask for but THIS IS the process where i finally have to work on my tone becos i'm going to record a demo soon. all the years practicing in my bedroom and plugging into the computer has left me as a noob in this realm.
so i would really appreciate if anyone could give me a headstart.
i already know the Mark IV will get me close to SRV,
Stiletto will get me close to EVH and the DR will get me the heavy&tight ****. i do have some money to spare but not all of us are millionaires :(
So basically any advise will be helpful. can i settle for this one model and get some pedals to make up for a particular loss? any EFX + Amp combination experience> etc.... thank you in advance

How about a Stiletto Ace with a Mesa Studio Preamp run in it's FX return? You could then switch between the two with an A/B pedal if it was split out front by a buffer. Mark IIc+ clean and mean, and Stiletto clean and crunch. You can get the series I stilettos for ~$850 and the Mesa Studio Pre for ~$350 both used.

hal9000 said:
How about a Stiletto Ace with a Mesa Studio Preamp run in it's FX return? You could then switch between the two with an A/B pedal if it was split out front by a buffer. Mark IIc+ clean and mean, and Stiletto clean and crunch. You can get the series I stilettos for ~$850 and the Mesa Studio Pre for ~$350 both used.

Cool idea... but even if you switch to the head's preamp, does the head's preamp stay link to the external preamp or you need something top breakup the connection while you AB switching?

soundpurist said:
hal9000 said:

Cool idea... but even if you switch to the head's preamp, does the head's preamp stay link to the external preamp or you need something top breakup the connection while you AB switching?
The way it works is to wire the amp's FX send to say the "A" side of the AB, and the output of the Studio Pre to the "B" side. When you select "A," the signal is simply guitar -> buffer -> amp -> FX send -> A/B -> FX return just like you're using an FX processor in the loop. When you select "B," the FX send of the amp goes no where and the signal then is guitar -> buffer -> Studio Pre -> A/B -> FX return. The buffer can be anything that equally splits the output without tonal coloration like a stereo volume pedal, stereo buffer, dual output tuner, etc.

You can also do a complete MIDI implementation like this, which will provide even more control (The modeler can be replaced with the Mesa Studio Pre):

hal9000GRX4G-MajorModelerRig.jpg

hal9000 said:
soundpurist said:
hal9000 said:

The way it works is to wire the amp's FX send to say the "A" side of the AB, and the output of the Studio Pre to the "B" side. When you select "A," the signal is simply guitar -> buffer -> amp -> FX send -> A/B -> FX return just like you're using an FX processor in the loop. When you select "B," the FX send of the amp goes no where and the signal then is guitar -> buffer -> Studio Pre -> A/B -> FX return. The buffer can be anything that equally splits the output without tonal coloration like a stereo volume pedal, stereo buffer, dual output tuner, etc.

You can also do a complete MIDI implementation like this, which will provide even more control (The modeler can be replaced with the Mesa Studio Pre):

hal9000GRX4G-MajorModelerRig.jpg

That is awesome! If I tought about that before.... Thanks a lot.

wow thank you guys.. Humbility & JAZZGEAR i'll definately add the RK to my list of possibilities. it boils down to the availability from where i'm gettin these amps from.
hal9000.. a picture paints a thousand words. i'll definately try to read up and research more on yr suggestions but it does look alittle complicated for me at this point.
hey Koprofag, i know what you mean with regards to an expensive amp + pedals. in fact this is how noob i am. i have NEVER had a pedal.
my current set up ( or for that matter, ever since i got my first Universe, 6 years ago ) has been the UV -> ANCIENT Zoom 3030 mutli-efx -> PC. i've NEVER gigged before. i did have the impression of that i could get the tone i was lookin for by having a decent amp + TS808 + Phase 90 + maybe a Vox wah. But now it seems like having that ONE expensive amp might just do the trick? 3 votes for the RK!

Latest posts

Back