An introduction, and question- The Lone Star Special Compact

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixsit

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first go round –with Mesa' and the forum.
45 years of guitaring' here, Super Reverb > Twin' up to about mid 80' when I went to a Pearce G2r'.
Anywho, here I am with the Lone Star Special 1-12Compact (..loving it dearly I should add), and a little question about this compact' version. I've never seen reference to it on their site nor elsewhere. The dealer didn't know the story behind it other than he believed it to be a limited run' (paraphrasing.
It has fit my needs for sweet versatile tone and portability' (other than the weight yee gads :) ) so wonderfully I can't see them not selling more. (The few the store had went rather quickly enough.) Just wonder if anyone knows what the deal was? A test run' of sorts or what?
Thanks all and cheers.

Hmm. Not really the gist of it, but yeah the cab is smaller. :roll:

Let's not over-think this. Mesa thinks the larger cab sounds better, plus it's actually cheaper to have one size cab for both 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 versions.
Some prefer the size and weight advantage of the smaller cab. Not exactly mind-blowing.

I think it looks great! I had my neighbor (a carpenter) build me a mini combo shell for my LSC. Way easier to get in and out of my car, and it sounds great too.

lonestarexpressclone.JPG

I don't think it looks weird at all. It's very much in the Mesa/Boogie tradition of small (but heavy) combos.

Don said:
I don't think it looks weird at all. It's very much in the Mesa/Boogie tradition of small (but heavy) combos.

I agree on the tradition thing, but after looking at my LSS everyday for 3 years. It looks weird seeing that size with the knobs and the lonestar name. When seeing an amp shaped that way I just expect to see Boogie in the corner.

Don said:
Heavy- you got that right. 'Dense' for a small package. I was aimed at the littler Express' -smaller, more mobility actually..
But the frikin tone just won me over. :mrgreen:

MrMarkIII said:
Let's not over-think this. Mesa thinks the larger cab sounds better, plus it's actually cheaper to have one size cab for both 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 versions.
Some prefer the size and weight advantage of the smaller cab. Not exactly mind-blowing.
Actually, where I was coming from is the thing is such a joy, that I wondered why they wouldn't see call to continue it.

Latest posts

Back