Lone Star Special or Suhr Badger with Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

search4tone

Reaction score
I have a Mark V head + 1x12 Compact WB cab. I use all three channels in various configurations and sometimes hit it with a KokoBoost and or a Wet Reverb pedal up front. I almost always use the 45 watt power setting, occasionally the 90 watt and never use the 10 watt. My second amp is a Suhr Badger 18 + Suhr 1x12 cab. It's been a great compliment to the Mark V. I play rock, blues and jazz in a home studio setting.

Enter - stage right - GAS. I've never played a Lone Star Special and it's been one of those EL84 amps I'd like to try. My questions:
1. Is there enough difference between the Mark V and a LSS to warrant owning both?
2. Is the Suhr Badger more versatile given it's control options even though it's only one channel compared the the LSS?

At this point in my life two amps is all I have room for so the Badger would be the one leaving. Anyone have experience with this group of amps?

Hmmm. I'm surprised that none of the 34 viewers of my query at the Boogie forum had any experience or thoughts?

42 and counting :lol:

The LSS does have a lot more tricks than the Badger, but you will have to check out the LSS yourself to find out if they are the right tricks for you. The Badger has the attenuator and its options seem to center around tone shaping in the power stage. The LSS has many preamp shaping options as well as the FX loop and reverb.

Personally, if I had an MKV I would not get a Lonestar as well. Have you looked into the Mesa TA15 or TA30 ? Otherwise, if you love the Badger it may just suit you best.

J.J said:
42 and counting :lol:

The LSS does have a lot more tricks than the Badger, but you will have to check out the LSS yourself to find out if they are the right tricks for you. The Badger has the attenuator and its options seem to center around tone shaping in the power stage. The LSS has many preamp shaping options as well as the FX loop and reverb.

Personally, if I had an MKV I would not get a Lonestar as well. Have you looked into the Mesa TA15 or TA30 ? Otherwise, if you love the Badger it may just suit you best.
Thanks for being brave enough to respond J.J. I think the Badger has enough different attributes that it makes a great second amp. I also posted over at the Gear Page and even though the forum has been accused of being Mesa haters I got some good view points. I demo'd both the TA heads. I found the popping between channels on the TA15 very annoying and the infamous noise using the F/X and Reverb very annoying also. The MkV has none of those issues and just brings a who,e lot more fun to the table as well.

I'm always happy to tell people what I think, though it has been known to get me in trouble at times :lol:

The MKV really is the top of the Mesa heap and I'm yet to be fully convinced of any of the EL84 of offerings. I have an Express 5:25 that I only really use when I want the light, compact and easy to set up alternative to my other gear.

HaggertysMusic said:
Badgers flat out rock. If I were you, I would definitely keep the badger and mark v.
Thanks Don, That's the conclusion I've come up with too. The Mark V really is a multi-amp. I have a minimalist pedal board; KokoBoost -> Modded Ibanez TS9 -> Neunaber Wet Reverb -> Neunaber Chroma chorus. With a little massaging for the various and assorted knobs I can get a multitude of tones from the Badger.

Latest posts

Back