Amp to run in stereo with Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xT00BZRG00Dx

Reaction score
Hey guys, which amp would compliment a Mark III nicely for thrash and prog? Under $900 preferably. Is the Mark III higher mid voiced or lower mid voiced? That would make my decision easier. I was thinking a Single Rec or a JCM 900.

A Recto 2 channel of any type. old 100watter or the 50watter would be prefect for yourself!! suite the mk iii sound great too.

Shep said:
A Recto 2 channel of any type. old 100watter or the 50watter would be prefect for yourself!! suite the mk iii sound great too.
Would'nt that cost around $1500? I need something around $700-$900

Why don,t you get another mark 3 there going cheap as chips at the moment, or get an old mark 2 and slave it to your mark 3 or just get another cab and run your amp and cab viola!

bartchamdoh said:
Why don,t you get another mark 3 there going cheap as chips at the moment, or get an old mark 2 and slave it to your mark 3 or just get another cab and run your amp and cab viola!
I want another, oppositely voiced amp to blend with it. Is the Mark III upper mid voiced or lower mid voiced?

it's more upper than lower.
A rectoverb would compliment it nicely.
I had that combination for short while and it wounded amazing.
Now I'm thinking about scouting out either a Tremoverb or a Roadster and running my mark IV in stereo with it.

I see the old Joe Bonamassa trick of blending different amps together to blend the different frequencies for a good tone, when i want to do that i run 2 different cabs in stereo with my mark 3 ie a mesa 2x12 and a recto 4x10. The 2x12 gives me the bottom end i need for rocky stuff whilst the 4x10 gives me more top end and clarity. Using both gives a good spread of sound and dynamics....normally though it,s to much bother and i end up jst taking my mark 3 short head and mesa 2x12......IT STILL SOUNDS AWESOME DUDE!!!....sometimes less is more.

Hmmn.... Right now, it's between a JCM 800, a 2-Channel Dual Rec, a 5150, a Deliverance 60, or a Titan. Which would be BEST???? Leaning towards the Rec and the 800 so mainly between those two. Any clips or albums with Mark III/IV's in stereo with a Marshall/Recto?

How loud will you be playing?
Unless it is flat out, you could give a try to a Studio .22+ (with GEQ) combo with a Celestion C90.
You will be under $500 and it is a very portable amp.... which is a very strong point in favor since you will be carrying 2 combos back and forth.
Regards

igfraso said:
How loud will you be playing?
Unless it is flat out, you could give a try to a Studio .22+ (with GEQ) combo with a Celestion C90.
You will be under $500 and it is a very portable amp.... which is a very strong point in favor since you will be carrying 2 combos back and forth.
Regards
I will be playing in a full metal band (bass, other guitar, drums) with the largest gig being around 500-800 people or so in my school auditorium. This amp is actually for my other guitarist. And it's not a combo, it's my Mark III head and my stereo 4x12 cab. We will be running both amps through this. And I like REALLY tight tone and versitality is very prefered. How would a Peavey Ultra+ or a VTM blend? Or even an XXX or 5150. Also, what about a JCM or Recto? So many choices, I can't decide. But I want something loud enough to play fairly large gigs without breakup, because in the future, we might play large gigs

My advice is to get a seperate cab for your other guitarist and also try the recto 2x12 horizontal cab tighter than a 4x12 more portable and with enough volume for the gigs you talk about but still with enough bottom end and if your other guitarist gets one you,ll get a realistic spread of sound that two guitarists should have in a band....one of my ex guitar tutors was in a metal band and sold me his 2x12 to use a mesa 4x12.....HE SAID HE SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE 2X12 FOR THE ABOVE REASONS...hope this helps.

The other guitarist in my band just got a 5150, and it sounds great with my Mark III in the mix. The 5150 has more low mids and a bit more modern sounding tone, while the Mark III has more of a high mid crunchy tone; works great since I'm the lead player and I like to have my tone cut through just a bit more. He used to use the Ibanez Thermion head, which is a decent amp, but it didn't cut enough in the band mix, my Mark III just buried it. The 5150 hold it's own very nicely. He also sounded very, very good when he used my Mesa Studio Preamp/Recto 2:100 rack; it sat perfectly in the band mix.

So I'd say either a 5150 or a Dual recto. The DC-5 is also a great amp that would match up well with the Mark III and is a bit cheaper, if you can find one. And it would be much better if he can get his own cab, a 2x12 would be fine.

Use the Mesa Satellite combo amp. I run mine with a Mark IIC+ and it sounds fantastic! I get stereo effects, fuller sound, and increased volume. And you can pick one up for fairly cheap.

xT00BZRG00Dx said:
Or even an XXX or 5150.

Can't comment on the 5150, but the XXX has the worst bottom end I've ever heard.

A Bugera 333XL is supposed to be a copy of the XXX and it has better bottom end.

Latest posts

Back