Amp tech in the L.A area to do the R2 mod on the MKIII?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMello

Reaction score
I want to do this mod, which I understand is very simple but my experience with "amp mods" is limited to switching tubes :)

If anybody knows a good tech in L.A. you could recommend, I'd appreciate it...

also if one the forum users can do it and live close by, please P.M. me with a quote?

Speaking of quotes, how much should I expect to pay for this mod?

The amp is a MkIII black dot, simulclass, rev, no eq.

Thanks guys

Bill

yeah but as far as I know, they don't it there, they send it to the factory. That will probably have a longer turn around time than just taking to a local tech.

There's a superb guy/shop in Newhall, IIRC. I've never gone to him personally, but he comes very highly recommended form folks on TGP forum. When I get home, I'll look for his info.

Edward

Found it ...here ya go:

http://www.tone-man.com/#

As I said, I've never been to him personally, but from what I've heard/read he is is the amp tech's tech. Very good feedback from others who have used him. I feel fortunate that such a resource and talent is in my immediate neighborhood ...so PLEASE post back your impressions and experience with him. And if you feel compelled, ask him about adding a triode/pentode switch for our MKIII Simul ...I'd love to know what he'd charge for that. :)
Thanks!!!

Edward

awesome! I will give him a call tomorrow. I will definitely post my experience here.

What's triode/pentode switch? How does it change the amp's tone?

Sorry, I'm more than a player than a tech :oops:

Earlier this year I contacted tone-man regarding retolexing a Mesa head. Before I could get to the tolexing part but after I had mentioned Mesa Boogie he told me that he didn't work on Mesa amps. I did go on to tell him that I was looking to have the head retolexed and he told be that he used to do that but didn't any more. Don't let my experience deter you from calling him but it will be interesting to hear what he says to you.

I was under the impression that the Hollywood store does do amp work on site. Have you called them to see if they could do this work for you. I am also in the area (actually live up in the Newhall area close to tone-man) and would be interested in this.

Blueracer:

You are correct, he does not work with Mesa amps. I will give the Hollywood store a call right now.

edit: I called them and they do amp work on site but the tech is out for the day, I will call them back tomorrow.

I actually found a guy in Van Nuys who said he would do it for $50, is this a fair price for the R2 mod?
Also , he said he is not familiar with this amp but the mod sounded "pretty easy" to do... I would feel more comfortable to work with someone who has done this mod before.... what do you guys think??

I would definately see how much the Hollywood store would charge to do this. Unless there is a huge cost difference or they are booked for the next six months it is much preferable to have an authorized factory repair shop do the work. If they mess it up you have some recourse with them. You have nothing with this other fellow. Also this tech in Van Nuys says he is not familiar with the amp. Am I missing something here. I don't think this is a hard decision.

Hi Bill,
I PM'd you back.

The Hollywood store doesn't work on anything ...will not even crack em open. They ship up to the Petaluma. Heck, I couldn't even get a simple 1/4" phone jack from them ..."have to order that" was the response I got. Yeah, for a phono jack!!

Edward

Hi Ed.. I just replied to your PM...

The Hollywood store told me today they do have a tech on site now but he was already gone for the day. I will call back tomorrow and if they offer a reasonable price and turnaround I will take it there.

Check and see if Andy Brauer will do it.

http://www.andybrauer.com/repairs.html

If not I would bite the bullet and send it to Mesa.

Scott

Latest posts

Back