amp problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk19

Reaction score
I just sold my IIC+ but when me and my buyer were trying the amp out the sound sometimes becames less loud or less distorted and then came back again. What could be the problem? And will it be an expensive repair for my buyer? It was not a cable problem

Jump the effects loop jacks first to see if it's a bent contact in the return.
Look at replacing the preamp tubes if that is not it. Also, sometimes when the Volume 1 or Lead Master pots wear out they can leave scratchy, dead and fading spots in the sweep.

the problem is there with the fx loop used and without. I dont think its a preamp problem. It sounds like a cable problem only that it isnt a cable problem. Could it be a bad connection somewhere in the amp? Expensive repair? The sound sometimes goes away and then returns normal when you turn the pots to go away again. What do you think?

If a preamp tube is leaking or going south, the voltage change from the pot may make it behave normally. If it;s just in the Lead mode, it could be a dirty Lead Master, Lead Drive or an LDR going bad.

it begon when we pulled the first knob ( volume ) in the clean and then the lead channel was misbehaving too, then everything became less good. It stayed this way even when we pushed volume pot back. I guess preamp or bad contact in the pots

All these replies to problems with our amps like this is why I am a donating member! This place is such a good resource because there are so many knowledgeable members!

Back to the OT: I can only suggest that you tap on the preamp tubes with a pencil and listen for changes in the sound. And of course make sure the pots are nice and clean like mentioned above...

Latest posts

Back