Amazing MkIII tone!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithus77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I'd share this one with you.

I picked up a BOSS GE-7 eq from the local pawn shop today and have been trying it out with some of my amps.

I plugged it into my MkIII's effects loop and tried it out with the EQ in on my amp thinking 'this will sound pretty crap'. OMG...:) My MkIII sounds like a MkIIC+! Think really smooth distortion excatly like Metallica on 'Master of Puppets'.

The EQ on my amp is set in the usualu 'V' shape and I have the same thing going on the GE-7 - the 'V' shape.

My god, the gain is so smooth, creamy and compressed sounding. The natural agressive, raw MkIII sound changes into such a smooth sound.
I've seen vids of Kirk playing through his Triaxis and it sounds like that.

Just thought I'd pass this one on to you guys in case anyone wants to try it out. I think it would be cool to play rhythm with this sound then for solos, take off the EQ for a bit more 'edge'.

Anyways, see what you guys think.

Cheers

Yeah I got the same thing, MIII and a BOSS GE really sound great together. But I want to share with you my setting without this boss eq. Now my mesa Mark III really sing I just plug my guitar direct:
http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=0&d1=100&p1=1&d2=100&p2=1&d3=100&p3=1&d4=100&d5=25&p5=1&d6=40&d7=25&p7=1&p=0&g1=70&g2=60&g3=50&g4=60&g5=75&t=My+setting
with reverb at 10

I've been considering this myself for my Mark IV rhythms (the EQ on the G-Major doesn't cut it for me).

The one thing I'm worried about is that it will sound great by itself, but get reduced to mud in a mix.

Can you record some clips with it in a band mix (preferably one clip with, one without the EQ) for comparison?

I know Metallica used an Aphex EQ in conjuction with the IIC+, but I'd be curious what model they used.

I'll try and get some clips for you in the next few days. I'm not in a band right now so I cant do a band clip, but I'll record some EQ and non-EQ sounds.

It sounds so good I'm really impressed with the GE-7 and Mesa combo!

darkirish said:
Yeah I got the same thing, MIII and a BOSS GE really sound great together. But I want to share with you my setting without this boss eq. Now my mesa Mark III really sing I just plug my guitar direct:
http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=0&d1=100&p1=1&d2=100&p2=1&d3=100&p3=1&d4=100&d5=25&p5=1&d6=40&d7=25&p7=1&p=0&g1=70&g2=60&g3=50&g4=60&g5=75&t=My+setting
with reverb at 10

I don't just that lot of mids
On the first equaliser I use a lot of mids too but not on the graphic
What kind of music do you play with that setting

pmb said:
darkirish said:
with reverb at 10

I don't just that lot of mids
On the first equaliser I use a lot of mids too but not on the graphic
What kind of music do you play with that setting
Hello pmb. I play Progressive Rock/Metal with that kind setting.

OK, this is going to sound kind of dumb...but what do you guys use to hook up the effects pedal (I've got that Boss EQ and I want to try it out as you said)? Meaning, do you just take two long guitar cables and then route them to the send & return on the amp? Isn't that a lot of "mucky-muck" for you to trip over? Or do you use a split cable type of thing. I'm asking 'cause I've never used an effects loop in my life (crazy right?), I've always gone straigt from the guitar through the pedal to the amp. In fact, I stopped using the Boss GE-7 'cause there was all this hiss...will using the effects loop lessen the hiss? Thanks in advance.

Yes I use the effects loop. Take one guitar cable, plug it into the BOSS GE-7 input (right hand side) and plug the other end of it into the Send of your amps effects loop. Take another guitar cable and plug it into the output of the BOSS GE-7 (left and side) then plug the other end into the return of your amps effects loop. (This is assuming that you only want to use the EQ in the effects loop.)

Make a V shape on the GE-7 and and a V shape on your boogie and hear the Master of Puppets tone!

Happy playing

Hmmm. I agree putting an EQ pedal through the effects loop can give you a lot more tonal options. But I dont think making 2 V shapes is a great way to get your tone. Completely ripping out the mids seems to make the tone quite thin and harsh. Perhaps all right for metal rythm but not how the amp was designed to sound.
Ofcourse, each to there own.

Back