Am I being crazy here?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from buying a JC-120 how clean would you want to be?

well the matter is not to be the cleanest, the matter is to have the nicest clean channel.
for example the cleanest could be connect directly the guitar to a mixing desk, there is not what I want, I need a bit colour on my notes, the best clean is not the ever the most transparent or neutral, the best clean is the clean that makes your notes siging out of the amp

Russ said:
I actually want to hear the difference between a pre500 and this one too. This Dual has a parallel loop but it seems its a very early parallel loop model. The amp I am buying is in immaculate shape and is a hard deal to pass up. It doesn't hurt that it belongs to a neighbor. I won't even have to ship it. The traditional cab that it is coming with it is immaculate as well. The tube complement is nice too. Nothing like a full set of NOS power tubes along with a full set of new preamp tubes to round out an already killer deal. I can't pass it up. Worst case scenario is that I find a pre500 that I like better then this one becomes a backup or the other half of a stereo rig, or even sold off to make room for something else (maybe even a 2210 replacement). I am actually hoping more of my other gear sells off first so that I don't have to sell the 2210.

Well let us know what you end up doing. I'm still wondering if I am going to sell off my JTM-45 reissue.

:shock:

That sounds like a real dilemma to me. There is nothing that will give you the vintage sound of a JTM-45. Even in the RI you still have the option of a HW upgrade. I would look into that for the JTM-45. PTP that baby. That would be my resolution for that amp. Those JTM's have a special sound. If I were to have remained true to my Marshall roots I would have one of those right now. I would also be GAS-ing over an old Super Tremolo or two.

Russ said:
That sounds like a real dilemma to me. There is nothing that will give you the vintage sound of a JTM-45. Even in the RI you still have the option of a HW upgrade. I would look into that for the JTM-45. PTP that baby. That would be my resolution for that amp. Those JTM's have a special sound. If I were to have remained true to my Marshall roots I would have one of those right now. I would also be GAS-ing over an old Super Tremolo or two.

Well my whole idea was to get an F-50 and then sell the JTM-45 to pay for it. If I do keep the 45 I'm definitely going to get a retrograde kit from Metro Amps. I'm probably going to sell the JTM-45 though I just don't have much of a use for it anymore. By the time I'm done re-tubing it, buying a retrograde kit w/ new transformers etc I might as well buy a kit from Metro Amps and do it from scratch and I could do that with the money from selling my 'real' JTM-45!

Well, it sounds like your 45 is 95% ready to go out the door. So far, most of my potential buyers have been either sitting back waiting or have backed off. So here I sit still waiting for a buyer. I do have a one of my LP's moving Monday. That should help.

Well I've owned the amp for about a year and a half and it has been sitting in the closet for close to a year now. It has a really good clean sound but it just doesn't break up like it's supposed to. I ended up having to use a bunch of pedals for my dirty sound which is something I hate doing. The re-issues are junk in my opinion I'd rather build and own a clone.

So yeah.. for now I plan on selling it and putting the money away and later on this year I may buy a kit or... maybe another Boogie. I've had my eye on the Lonestar and Ace for quite a while now... just not sure which one I want yet.

:D

You shouldn't have any problem selling that 800 people are getting some really good coin for those things on Ebay. Still can't believe I only paid 550 for mine back in the day and it's still in mint condition.

So far the 800 has sat on craigslist with a bunch of interested people but no takers. It has now been a couple weeks. I want to pull the trigger for someone.

I just watched the 2210 chauffered down the street. It was riding in the back of a Chevy Malibu. It is sold... :?

Congrats!

I think...

Are you going to get that Dual Rectifier now?

I made good on my taxes this year so I really don't need to sell my JTM-45 but I still think it's going to go regardless. I will probably use the cash to fund another Boogie. For now I'm stoked with the F-50 but I have my eye on either an Ace, Lonestar or a Mark IV.

Just not sure which one I really want yet.

:twisted:

I have hte $ in my pocket. The Dual is waiting. I just have to coordinate a time to pick it up. I figure worse case scenario I don't like the head and I sell it to get a pre500 or save some more after that and get a IIC+ or another Mark IV. I think I am done with the 800 for a while. That kind of hurt watching it drive away down the street.

rabies said:
Russ said:
I have hte $ in my pocket. The Dual is waiting. I just have to coordinate a time to pick it up. I figure worse case scenario I don't like the head and I sell it to get a pre500 or save some more after that and get a IIC+ or another Mark IV. I think I am done with the 800 for a while. That kind of hurt watching it drive away down the street.

Well it hurt to sell my 2205 but I'd rather somebody actually be using it. I do miss it for wah/funk/hard rock stuff that it's better suited for than my Mk III or RK1. But I much rather have a simul-class amp right now. Plus who wants to bias an amp and worry about that going out of bias, etc?

Another Mark IV??? WTF? Why do you want/need another one? You trying to run a stereo setup like Morton of LOG?

You're going to get bored with the DR, just wait. Rectos are very one-dimensional.

The guy who came to get it runs a backline company and I guess Taking Back Sunday will be playing it at Long Beach. That is what he said anyway. Then I guess they are also doing Lenny Kravitz and he said that it will probably end up in that backline too.

rabies said:
You want a Mark IV considering your current equipment. Trust me on this one.

I think it's between the Lonestar and a Mark IV. I play a lot of blues and funk but I like to crank s@!$ up and play metal sometimes too. The Mark IV looks like a great amp but I really need to try one out... same with the Lonestar.

What do most people use their Mark IV for?

rabies said:
*DOPEMAN* said:
rabies said:
You want a Mark IV considering your current equipment. Trust me on this one.

I think it's between the Lonestar and a Mark IV. I play a lot of blues and funk but I like to crank s@!$ up and play metal sometimes too. The Mark IV looks like a great amp but I really need to try one out... same with the Lonestar.

What do most people use their Mark IV for?

Well a lot of the Mark IV guys are hardrock/metal bands (LOG, Metallica, Chevelle, Sevendust).

But the clean channel on that is like a Fender clean (very spanky and bright, not dark and mushy like the RK1). It's a usable clean channel for funk or anything else. In addition, you get sick gain and crunch with the lead channel. It has a R2 channel as well that most people aren't too hot about but the R2 on my Mk III green is decent when volume is cranked.

You also get the classA or simul-class options with the Mark III/IV. It's a very flexible tone machine. I don't know why more bands don't use it...

Cool thanks. I'm definitely going to check one out sometime. I probably won't be getting another head until the end of the summer though... unless of course GAS gets the best of me!

:twisted:

You probably want to wait til the end of Summer to try the Mark IV then. You'll be GAS-ing pretty much instantly provided you have some decent settings to try it with.

Well I put my JTM-45 up on craigslist today. It's going to bum me out to see it leave... but since I made good on my taxes this year maybe I'll have another Boogie sooner than I expected!

You shouldn't have any problem selling it in the Bay area.

Latest posts

Back