Am I being crazy here?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
The Dual Rec GAS bug has finally infected me. I am currently selling off whatever I need to in order to accrue enough $ to finalize my deal for my Dual and bring it home. Granted, because I had some work fall through, I am having to subsidize my budget too but I am still trying to complete the transaction as quickly as possible. I have sold off some surplus toos that I won't be needing anytime soon.

I have already sold a very limited soon to be vintage guitar. I have sold off the Ampeg fullstack. I have my JCM800 currently being eyeballed with a bunch of trigger happy folks checking it out. I have advertised some other odds and ends also.

I know I love my 2210. I really do. I also know that I can always resell the Dual if I have a change of heart and get another 2210 though it is one that sounds good compared to a few others I have come across. That probably has to do with the post 87 thing though because it is an 88.

Maybe after the smoke clears I will just get another 2210.

Am I going to miss the 2210?

I have begun to satisfy my primary needs of the 2210 with my Mark IV. Hopefully, it will take care of me the way I have been taking care of it. With both the Mark IV and a Dual, I think I might get too busy to get sidetracked by a longing to play the 2210. I know that I have rarely touched the 2210 since getting my Mark IV.

Am I nutz? HELP!!!!!! :shock:

Naw, I don't think so. You've got to follow your instincts and get the tone that you think that your trying to find. You won't be happy until you do. It may take you in a big circle or it may take you on to other things. This is part of the fun/torture with music gear.

I don't know dude... I'd NEVER get rid of my JCM800 but then again I bought it when I was like 18 or 19 years old. And 18 years old was a long time ago!

You should try and hang on to your gear if you really like it. I sold a white 2x12 JCM 800 50 watt combo a long time ago and I still regret it.

Looks like Brewski is the devil on one shoulder and I'm the angel on the other...

:D

:twisted:

Well, I still have my 77 JMP 50 watt MV for my classic Marshall tone.

I went through a dilemma about 15 years ago when I sold something and regretted it. It took me 14 years to get it back. Granted it was the exact same piece. I never thought I would have seen it again. Though I pined for its return, once I got it back I never used it. In fact, I recently sold it again after coming to the conclusion that it really wasn't the loss I had thought it was. I think it was more of a sentimental issue than anything else.

I couldn't imagine ever selling the JMP. It is pristine too. It isn't like I would be completely out of Marshall tone. I can almost get the 800 out of the JMP with pedals anyway. Anything I can't the Mark IV certainly can.

I am just fence sitting at the moment. I have had several offers over the years but couldn't let her go. Now, I have several interested but am wondering if it is the right choice.

Well if it doesn't hold any sentimental value to you and you have another Marshall rock box I could see selling it off to get something new. Especially if it's not getting used... ? I'm most likely selling off my Jtm-45 to fund the F-50 I just bought. It's a re-issue and although it sounds good it doesn't sound like it's supposed to just like every other re-issue. I don't NEED to sell it but it has been sitting in the closet unused for the better part of a year now. I just don't have much use for a non-master volume amp these days so it's probably going to be sold off next month.

But yeah dude... if the amp isn't getting used and it's a dual rec you really want then sell that sucker off. Just make sure you aren't going to regret it.

I am more into devils Brewski don't sweat it. The amp will go to the first one that I hear peep one out of. I am really excited about the Dual. Playing some of the modern stuff without one has been less than inspiring.

Cool man let us know how it goes. My F-50 definitely isn't my last boogie either!

:twisted:

My dad suffered from some of the worst GAS I've ever heard of, and it's taught me one thing, if it takes more than 5 seconds to consider wether or not you want to sell it. You don't want to sell it.

Over his life he's had over 18 Gibson guitars, 6 Grestch's some various Fender guitars, and countless others.

Now he's got a Japanise Fender, a cheap Ibanez and a Takamine.

I won't get into the amps he owned, it's honestly too depressing. Although he's left with a solid state labseries amp that actually sounds better than 90% of modern tube amps. And a heavily modified Fender Concert amp that produces the most orgasmic lead sound I've ever heard, and absolutely nothing else.

But I can tell you with almost certainty. You'll miss the guitar you sold, you'll miss the JCM800 and you'll miss the 2210. Maybe not for years to come, but one day you'll kick yourself.

As usual, I'm late to this party.

The one thing I have learned in life is..... NEVER sell a good Marshall.
I know this is the Boogie Forum, and I love the Boogies that I've owned (and yes, my Nomad 100 is a monster that few Mesa lovers even know about).

... but, I'm still a Marshall guy. Problem with Marshalls is that they don't all sound alike (meaning good), then throw in the whole reliability issue (Can't tell you how many early 70's metal panels I've seen blow a transformer. JMP's and JCM's weren't nearly as bad. Some of the JCM 900's and 2000's were horrendous).

If that 2210 is great sounding and reliable (and in decent condition), it will be tough to find another like it. I always think of Boogies as more consistent and reliable when compared to Marshalls. It also tells me that it's easier to find a good one.

Unless you really need the cash, keep the Marshall.

Wouldn't it suck if you bought a dual rec and you didn't even touch it after the initial newly acquired item syndrome wears off? I don't know about you but I tend to stick to a certain tone and just about any amp I use I try to dial in the same tone. For me, it doesn't pay to have different amps as I would try to get them all to sound the same which is the exact opposite point for having different amps; right?

I think it probably would be a good idea to get rid of the Marshall but instead of trading it for another piece of gear put the money into an investment or money market account for a rainy day.

Maybe it's because I am not a fan of the Dual Rec amps or maybe because I am really trying to push the minimalist approach but take what I say with a grain of salt.

Greg

fatboy135 said:
Dude your case has a very easy solution. Your anxiety is caused by a faulty of lithium, you must to suck all the lithium cells at your home ;) after the treatment you will be totally good

Gee thanks...

:lol:

Nomad100 said:
As usual, I'm late to this party.

The one thing I have learned in life is..... NEVER sell a good Marshall.
I know this is the Boogie Forum, and I love the Boogies that I've owned (and yes, my Nomad 100 is a monster that few Mesa lovers even know about).

... but, I'm still a Marshall guy. Problem with Marshalls is that they don't all sound alike (meaning good), then throw in the whole reliability issue (Can't tell you how many early 70's metal panels I've seen blow a transformer. JMP's and JCM's weren't nearly as bad. Some of the JCM 900's and 2000's were horrendous).

If that 2210 is great sounding and reliable (and in decent condition), it will be tough to find another like it. I always think of Boogies as more consistent and reliable when compared to Marshalls. It also tells me that it's easier to find a good one.

Unless you really need the cash, keep the Marshall.

You're not late, yet. This is the part that has me worried. I have heard a lot of Marshalls and though there are those that sound good there are just as many that sound so-so. In the case of the 2210 there are the bad years too. This is really a beast. I am definitely torn here.

disassembled said:
Wouldn't it suck if you bought a dual rec and you didn't even touch it after the initial newly acquired item syndrome wears off? I don't know about you but I tend to stick to a certain tone and just about any amp I use I try to dial in the same tone. For me, it doesn't pay to have different amps as I would try to get them all to sound the same which is the exact opposite point for having different amps; right?

I think it probably would be a good idea to get rid of the Marshall but instead of trading it for another piece of gear put the money into an investment or money market account for a rainy day.

Maybe it's because I am not a fan of the Dual Rec amps or maybe because I am really trying to push the minimalist approach but take what I say with a grain of salt.

Greg

This was an idea also. My idea of an investment though is in a nice piece of gear that I can play with until I want to sell it. In time gear prices fluctuate but mostly go up from the initial depreciation. Hopefully the Dual I am getting can do this too being that it is a 2 ch. Granted, it is not a pre500 but it is still early enough to have an attached cord and small logo.

I actually want to hear the difference between a pre500 and this one too. This Dual has a parallel loop but it seems its a very early parallel loop model. The amp I am buying is in immaculate shape and is a hard deal to pass up. It doesn't hurt that it belongs to a neighbor. I won't even have to ship it. The traditional cab that it is coming with it is immaculate as well. The tube complement is nice too. Nothing like a full set of NOS power tubes along with a full set of new preamp tubes to round out an already killer deal. I can't pass it up. Worst case scenario is that I find a pre500 that I like better then this one becomes a backup or the other half of a stereo rig, or even sold off to make room for something else (maybe even a 2210 replacement). I am actually hoping more of my other gear sells off first so that I don't have to sell the 2210.

Well that is nice to hear because I already have a Mark IV. That is what keeps me relatively positive about the whole ordeal.

yes I´m a very special dude, so 90% of people wants a saturated channel strong, but I look for a good clean. For example my triaxis is the direct offspring of the mark series, I think that it has the best clean channel as all the mark amps and the saturated channels are for rock, well if I need an extra punch for modern nu metal tones I dope the triaxis with a rat just in front of triaxis.
Get a huge distortion is easy, but getting a real nice clean channel is under my point of view the hardest thing to get

Latest posts

Back