Alternatives to the (Heavy) EVM 12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breogan

Reaction score
Hi!

I've just received my black tolex cab for my Mark IIa. This includes an 89' EVM 12L that just weights 17lb (around 8Kgr). This combo is going to be HEAVY, and is only a 60W.

How do you do to carry your vintage Mark combos? They are compact for sure, but very heavy.

Well, is there any lightweight alternative to the EVM 12L?

I've tried a LSS and the C90 sound very good! How heavy is this speaker? I've seen this Weber Thames and sound samples sounds pretty good to me also. I've also have a Weber G1265 that may fill the bill.

Do you use other speakers apart from the EVM 12L on your Vintage Mark?

Take this as an excuse to discuss different speaker alternatives to the Mark designs.

I have not tried them myself, but if you like the EMV's voice but dislike only the weight, what gets lots of positives on various forums are the EV Force 12 and the Emi Delta 12 ...both of which are purportedly voiced similar to the EVM. Again, just relaying the info; no personal experience myself.

OTOH, try the Emi Swamp Thang and RWB ...both of which I realy like, and the latter I've put in an old Fender that simply sounds gorgeous. FWIW :)

Edward

good tone weights alot.
there is no way around it.
don't go second best because its lighter.

maybe get one of these:
Hand_Truck.jpg

i like eminence wizard 75w for 10.8 lbs (4.9kg)

but i have to be honest does the weight have to be a selection spec ?

Seriously, no... In most cases weight shouldn't be a reason for making a decision. I just wanted to start a topic to discus which would be nice alternatives to the "standard" EVM 12L.

Does anybody has tried the Celestion Century? 4.4lb (2Kg), that can make a difference!

breogan said:
Seriously, no... In most cases weight shouldn't be a reason for making a decision. I just wanted to start a topic to discus which would be nice alternatives to the "standard" EVM 12L.

Does anybody has tried the Celestion Century? 4.4lb (2Kg), that can make a difference!

the century vintage is nice if you like the vintage 30 sound. its a touch different from a real v30, but close enough for most people i think.

I thought he was talking about the Century, not the Century Vintage. On paper the Century looks just like an EV, with a little extension on the high end.

The Delta Pro 12A weighs every bit as much as an EV so it's not a lightweight alternative. I think the FORCE speakers weigh nearly as much as the 12L also, but I don't have any first hand experience with the FORCE.

The Delta Pro is available in a Neo model as well. I have a Celestion Century and Century Vintage in my 2x12 and the combination is awesome.

This weekend I will be able to test the EVM 12L extensively. I am very curious about it, there are a lot of rave reviews about it!!

I have backache issue and I don't like heavy weight amps or cabs, my back suffers!! That MarkII+EVM 12L easily surpass 60lb, that's a lot for a "compact" combo!

This is the reason I am a bit "paranoid" with weight.

That Delta Pro Lite (aka Deltalite) looks good, but is it really on the same league of the EVM12L?

The EVM-12L is bright but balanced, tight, and very loud. I'm a convert with the caveat that it makes a noisy rig or pups sound even noisier. I'm pretty glad I have a head and 1x12s instead of a combo, though.

devilrob1979 said:
The Delta Pro is available in a Neo model as well. I have a Celestion Century and Century Vintage in my 2x12 and the combination is awesome.

Where have you seen the Neo Delta Pro?

How do you like the regular Century? Is it...EVesque?

The other alternative to swapping speakers is a head cab and keep the EVM in a separate cab. Any Mark + EVM Thiele is a very potent (and portable) guitar tonal package w/o tonal compromise ...IMHO.

Edward

The Weber Thames is great sounding in Boogies.

If you decide to go with the EV, get a head shell and a 3/4 1x12 cab for the EV. This way, you can put the combo shell in a box for safe keeping and the amp is easier to carry. Granted, you have to make more trips, but it would save your back.

Unfortunately, I think you reach a certain point where a 5 pound difference in weight is not going to make a huge difference. My DC-10 weighs about 90 pounds. Luckily, so far anyway, I am in pretty good shape and have no problem lugging it around. I have tried lifting it without the chassis in it, and the thing is still heavy.

Built like a tank, but weighs as much as a building! Mesa!

:D Although, I have heard really good things about the Century speakers.

phyrexia said:
devilrob1979 said:

Where have you seen the Neo Delta Pro?

How do you like the regular Century? Is it...EVesque?

Check here:

Delta Pro:
http://eminence.com/proseries.asp?speaker_size=12

Delta Pro Lite:
http://eminence.com/neodymium.asp

I honestly have no idea what an EV sounds like. I owned one for about 4 days and never had a chance to get it into a cab. I had to sell it when money was short to our pal Psychodave to put in one of his 8,000,000 4x12s. I can say that the Celestion Century is incredibly loud. It's sensitivity rating is 102db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. It is very balanced for a Celestion from what I can gather but I've never heard it all on its own.

We all have different likes/dislikes so this is really subjective.

I think the EV are just way too bright. Especially with a Tele which is what I use. In a 60 watt amp you have way more choices.

A good choice is the Jensen Neo

Also a really good speaker in the 60 watter would be the Eminence Legend V128. I have one I put in my Mark III Simulcalss. Its sounded really really good but the extra wattage seemed to pushe it a little to hard. It might be great in a 60 watter.

I really prefer the MC-90 to the EV because its not as bright and a little lighter.

Also the Classic Lead 80 is very close to the MC-90 and easier to come by.

I tried the Celestion Century and Century Vintage two of each in 2x12 Marshall Cab and both seemednot to have as much bottom. I also tried the Century in a Lonstar Classic widebody combo and had the same results. Not as much bottom.

I believe (though I havent tried) that Weber Neos claim to have a better tone using the Neo Magnets than some of the companys. I think you can get just about any type of Weber in a Neo version.

I'm with you on the weight dude. That dang EV weighing in at close to 20 pounds is just too much. The Eminence Legend V128 weighs 8 pounds.

I play 5 different kinds of Tele live and in the studio and have never found the EV to be too bright. How many different kinds of tubes did you try with it ? Tubes, graphic and tone controls are there to be experimented and used. The EVM12-L is one of the most tone sensitive speakers I know and is very very easy to dial in.

Latest posts

Back