Alternate voltages - 110v to 240v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yagon

Reaction score
I am considering buying a boogie combo from the USA off ebay and shipping it to Australia. The prices on ebay are far superior to the prices of amps here in Australia.

I would need to change the amp operation from 110v to 240v.

How difficult is it to change the voltage operation of the amp?

I know I can bu a step-down transformer, but I'd prefer not to have an extra gadget hanging outside the combo - I'd rather internally mod the amp.

R

its an old debate, some ppl say a step down is fine and won't damage the amp, but my vavlue amp repaire says no way, in toher word alot of ppl are for and agins step downs, ive herd many ppl say, i woudl rather call mesa and import a genuin export 240 transformer, and pay $400 rather then a cheep step down transformer from dick smith.
Im an aussie to and i was also excited about cheep american prices, but consider taxing ect, have a read up on GuitarGearHeads.com a aussie forum, there was a huge post about importing from the states, i hope i helped michael.

Forget the step down transformer.

I believe Sherlock amps (http://www.sherlockamps.com/REDUNDANT/Default.htm) make Super high quality transformers that can replace 110v trannys in moist amps. That would reduce the costs off an original Mesa tranny but make no mistake, the mesa is spacifically designed for the Mesa so in my book the Mesa gets the nod.

Sanchez

Hi - any luck with changing transformers as I'm looking at doing the same.

Peter

I use a step-down transformer and there's absolute no problem. I talked to mesa boogie and they said a good quality s-d transformer can't damage the amp. It could sound different but that's a question of taste. Mine (a road king) sounds just amazing. Once you dial your sound is great. I don't think it's worth $500 to change the transformer.

Best regards
Samuel

I am also considering importing a mesa dual rec from the states and have the same concerns and queries about which step down tranny to use. i guess the safest option would def be the mesa tran. do you know where i can purchase one? pro audio in sydney quoted me $700, then i need it to get down to melb. Does anyone know exactly how easy they are to put in? I am an electrician and am willing to give it a go but wouldn't mind a heads up before i go down this track. Cheers... lee

Pro Audio aren't that cheap with stuff. $700 for a transformer is a bit of a rude joke. No wonder people here is Oz try and get stuff from overseas.

Ciao ...

believe me when i say that i would rather pay for a used triaxis off ebay in the states (usually around $1000-1600 AUD) than buy a new one here for almost $5000

I suppose a little different seeing as I imported my dual rec from america to scotland but still

I use my dual rec,no problem,sounds just as good as any other dual rec but I use a step down tranny,I bought my one from an english transformer company called Newmarket Transformers and its great,it has a power handeling of 2000watts so it aint gonna blow or any thing,getting a mesa transformer part is the best idea but is very costly,a great step down like mine is a 3rd of the price of a mesa transformer!!! and still does the job

here have look
http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/autos.asp

also have a look at this thread it is exactly the same question but for a MKIV

hope this helps
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=13547

Latest posts

Back