Allright...... Roadking???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
Just can't make myself pull the trigger on a LS or Stiletto. What about a RK? Maybe a Roadster? Just someone please tell me that I can get a great clean AND some sort of Marshall sound out of either one of these two beasts?!?!?!?!??!?

If it's the Marshall crunch you seek, IMO you'll be dissapointed with the RK or Roadster. I love my Roadster, but even with it's Brit setting, a Marshall it is not (that's why I bought it in the first place :twisted: ).

However, If you want great Modern Overdrive, superb Cleans, and very usable mid-gain tones (ala Brit & Tweed) the Roadster or RKII is the way to go.

For Marshall type tones the Stiletto would be a good choice, or even the LSC with a good overdrive/distortion pedal.

Have you ever tried a Mark IV?

Dom

I used to own an Ace. I now own a Lonestar. Can't weigh in on the roadking, but that definitely seems more like more of a dual recto type gain. The Ace kicked *** for the Marshall side. The cleans were good, but not as flexible as I might have liked, especially in very loud settings.

The LS has great cleans. For leads I stay fairly conservative. If I use the "drive" it's at a mild setting. From there I hit it with a boost pedal and maybe a tube screamer type pedal and it sings.

Can one do it all? Probably... Do the cleans sound better in the LS? yes. Does the overdrive sound more Marshall in the Stiletto. yes. Maybe a good place to start is to decide which which sound/texture is more important to your music.

You gotta go check em' all out with your guitar and your favorite pedal(s) to make an informed decision.

Not really, first retube the power section with JJ's which are a darker tube. Second dont EQ like a marshall, dont be afraid to turn the presense and treble down. third make sure you dont use harsh speakers.

rastaman said:
Stiletto 2 = too bright!

Ah young Jedi.

I do think your best choice is a Lone Star Head.

Tell Goerge to let you take one home and try it. I know he dosnt have a Head in stock but you can hook the Combo to one of your cabs. Though I do believe that amp was made to get the goods with those MC-90's.

The Cleans on The Lone Star Classic IMO beat any Cleans I've ever heard from any Fender. They are that good.

The Dirrty Channel set for Crunch and hit with an OCD should get you there.

The feature of being able to run the Clean Channel 100 watts with SS rectifier and the Dirty Channel 50 watts with Tube rectifier is just amasing. Also you have a Reverb Level for each channel which for me illeminates the need for a footswitch on the Reverb. Boogie knew that and didnt include a switch on the main footswitch for Reverb. Though you can hook a switch up it just has to be seperate. On the Reverb I would set it for Glorious Reverbed Clean and turn it off on the dirty Channel.

I can just imagine what the LSC Head would sound like through a couple of Classic Lead 80's through your Bogner Cab. It would be freaking unbelivable.

The Stilletto is just too much of a Brain Teaser.

Young who? I'll try and take it to the house. I'll have to put the 65s back in, no MC90s to try..

rastaman said:
Young who? I'll try and take it to the house. I'll have to put the 65s back in, no MC90s to try..

Wel you'r 3 years my junior. So yeah Young! :lol:

I know your playing it right now, I wants to know how it sounds???????????

Not yet, fixing to change speakers. Was trying to make a practice for the not so computer knowledgeable in the band........ :roll:

rastaman said:
Not yet, fixing to change speakers. Was trying to make a practice for the not so computer knowledgeable in the band........ :roll:

Shot who? :roll:

IMO ....The Lone Star Classic is a great amp but it is loose... It's a Fender on Steriods... Fantastic cleans. Nice overdrive but loose and mushy. I agree that medium gain and an OCD or a BB Preamp is the way to go.

The Stiletto is equally impressive Marshall on steroids type of sound. Creat crunch and lead sound with very good cleans but not like the LSC. Tight clean is a Voxish sound. Fat Clean sound like a fender on EL34's.

I've said it before and will say it again...

These amp were meant to be used together. This is the REAL Road King. Save up and get both and run them together.

I mostly agree though I tried out a Stiletto numerous times and the Lead Channel was soooooooo Bright I could never get the Brightness out even with the Trebile and Presence all the way down. Now that could be considered very Marshally because a lot of Marshalls are very Bright though with the Marshalls one could allways find that Pesky Bright Cap and clip it. Havent heard of anyone doing this with the Stiletto.

I did talk to Tien at Mesa Boogie who told me the Stage I Stilettos had a more Vintagey Lead Channel and is less Bright but the Clean Channel wasnt as good as the Stage II, though he said the Stage I Clean Channel could easily be modded to be like the Stage II Clean Channel but the Stage II Lead Channel could not be modded to the Stage I Lead Channel. If that makes any sense at all. :shock:

I absolutely loved the Stiletto Ace Clean Channel, it was as good as the Best Marshall Clean.

Fortunately for me I have the Mac Daddy of all these Amps.

The Mesa Boogie Mark III Simuclass Reverb GEQ EVM12L Combo.

This thing will eat your new Prissy Little Mesa Boogies for Breakfest. :p :lol:

BeascoRack_1316.jpg

RKII FTW!!! But I am a little biased. You won't get "marshally" tones from it but some nice midrangy el34 tones that you'll enjoy. And the cleans....mmmm mmmmm good

Have not Played the RK though it has too many knobs for me.

Of the Modern Boogies I like the Lonestar Classic.

Latest posts

Back