advice re- dual rec and large venues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Reaction score
Got a short notice phone call asking us to play the world superbikes weekend at brands hatch on saturday, crowd at gig to be around 10 to 15 thousand, using the Glastonbury No. 2 stage.

I love my dual rec but I've only really used it for smaller venues and I've just about got the right tone for these smaller venues. I'm tempted to whack the volume on the rec right up for this gig cos I've never had chance before and experience some different tones. But then again I'm not sure whether to leave it at it's usuall setting and let the P.A do the business. It's going to have to be a quick soundcheck so I can't mess about.

Any suggestion? crank it up? or leave it?

cheers

You may want to test out both ways. Go to the gig a little earlier if possible. I think it will sound awsome cranking that amp up. Which tube amps sound great when cranked at full.

Go with the crank up!

I played opening shows for big national touring acts using my 22wt Fender Deluxe in front of 10,000+ people and let the PA do the work and only kept my Deluxe's volume around 3 since that is where I was happy with the sound of my FX pedals going in to the amp (RP2000 at the time). If I were to do a big show like that now with my Dual (t-verb), I'd open it up a little more, but wouldn't want to go too much over what I was used to becasue I'd feel too uncomfortable being that loud on stage. Some players have a comfort volume that they are used to and I for one am one of those guys that like a lower stage volume.

I'd say it's all your choice, the PA could handle it and the sound man would probably like you better but it may be one of your only chances to really open 'er up?!?!? If you have a sound check, try both ways and maybe even ask the sound man which is more "Mix Friendly" or if it makes a difference.

Talk to the soundman first.

Don't go too hairy though.....your amp's eqing is dialed in for your normal tone. If you do up the volume, drop the bass and maybe fiddle with the treble/presence a bit.

Think about the drums, they don't have volume knobs, it should be no different than any other venue. You want enough to hear on stage, then let the PA do the rest. Be professional about it, don't piss off the sound guy by coming out like a kid with his new toy cranked up to 10. Start at normal rehearsal volume and let the sound guy instruct you from there.

Usually I run the output at around 11:00 and the channel master at 9:00. I decided to run the output 1:00 and left the channel master at 9:00. It took the DR into another stratosphere. The soundman didn't have to say a word, the smile on his face along with the rest of our band spoke volumes.

Latest posts

Back