Academic Question: Nomads...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Just wondering aloud here, if you all can help me.

Why is it that the Nomad series doesn't seem to have the "following" or popularity of some of the other boogies in its like-wattage? Let's ignore the Marks, Rectos, and L-Stars for a moment as those truly have their loyal niches. But from my perception (based on what I've read over the years, comments, and even the number of threads) the Nomads just don't seem to come up as often or have the same "following" or "street cred" as, say, any of the calibers (regular or DCs), or the F-series. And it seems, too, that they didn't have a particularly long lifespan as if Mesa didn't really care for them. What's the deal with Nomads? ...not to step on Nomad lovers here as you obviously dig them. But why is it you think they haven't had the same impact (or even name recognition) as some of the other boogies I mentioned.

Edward

I almost bought a nomad 45 once and it just didn't have enough balls for me. I also hear that the 50's and 100's had problems with blowing tubes and has some issues. I don't know if there's anything to that that's just what i've heard. I did recently play a nomad 100 and thought about picking one up cuz the price was right but decided i'd rather go with a DC or an express. Now I can't figure out which of those 2 I'd rather have.

I owned a 55 1x12, and really liked it, but mostly on Channels one (clean) and two (crunchy) with 6L6s. I was able to dial some sweet sounds from it. Channel 3 was too recto-sounding for my taste. They are versatile little amps. For me, the Mark IV stole my heart, and I decided to sell the Nomad to help finance the Mark IV.

dodger916 said:
I owned a 55 1x12, and really liked it, but mostly on Channels one (clean) and two (crunchy) with 6L6s. I was able to dial some sweet sounds from it. Channel 3 was too recto-sounding for my taste. They are versatile little amps. For me, the Mark IV stole my heart, and I decided to sell the Nomad to help finance the Mark IV.

I wonder why Mesa isn't making Mark IV heads anymore? It seems like it'd be good for their sales to do it.

I never got why they make short heads and medium heads. It doesn't seem to make much of a diffence besides looks, in my personal opinion it looks funny to have a big 412 a little head.

where'd you hear they weren't making mark iv heads anymore??

anyway, i think the short head was so that it could be rackmounted. seems to be a pretty popular format.

Also, the short head fits on top of a thiele, is the same width as a combo, etc.

I bought my old F50 instead of a Nomad. The F's clean channel did it for me.

I wonder if the Nomads haven't been the first real 'consumable' or 'consumer' Mesas. I'ts the big hype in the musical equipment industry the last decade. Look at the cheap multi effect floor pedals as example, can anybody keep track of the models evolutions? Not as bad as cell phones yet but still, the brand new model you bought a couple of month ago gets a new name an extra tube, a bit more memory, delay time capacity, a few extra amp models and hop, it's all new, better, revolutionary, GAS inducing and ready to grab your bucks! Even boutique builders do that.

When the F serie replaced the Nomads, quite a few Nomad owners dumped them on Ebay to buy Fs (I know, I almost did it) and about the same happened when the Express arrived. How long do you think the Express will live before an all new model comes out and replaces it? More than 4 years? I don't believe so.
Now look at the Stilettos: one mode added and all of the other are fully revoiced and it's still called a stiletto, but it's a 'pro' serie amp, different market. Same with the Marks, the Mark II gets revoiced, extra pull pot and SimulSync but it's still called a Mark II!

The Express could have come out as an F serie II or stage II but commercially it's much more efficient as a full new product.

If I can keep my GAS under control I'll keep my Nomad 45 because I find it a **** good little amp... and if I can't I'll buy a Mark IV, a Stiletto and a Lone Star (...SSSSSSWAT!... :shock: ...no...sweetheart... it was just a joke!... ain't gonna buy anything I promiss!) :D

Always enjoy a Nomad thread.

Ok, here's my take.
I purchased a Nomad 55 1-12 combo brand new. Amp was small and easy to transport, but with plenty of power and features for a grab and go type of rig. The one thing that bothered me was this weird mid-range thing that was always going on... just couldn't get rid of it. A friend of mine owned a Nomad 45. Great little amp as well, but also had this mid-range hump in the sound (again, too much midrange that couldn't be dialed out). Both amps were not used that much as the sound just wasn't there, at least for me.

On a casual trip to GC, I found a used Nomad 100 1-12 combo hanging out in the corner. Couldn't resist trying it out, especially as I've tweaked other Nomads for hours (days). What do you know, That Nomad 100 KILLS. The extra headroom and punch from the 100 watts was noticeable, but the big thing was that grapic eq. I could now cut the mids while slightly boosting the lows and the highs (the old 'V' shape). Goodbye to that weird mid-range crap. When people talk about the 100 watter being different then the 45/55, believe it. It's a great amp.

In my opinion, the big problem with all the Nomads is that their voiced very different than any other Mesa. What I call a problem can be fixed very easily on the 100 watter by using the graphic. If all Nomad models had that graphic, they all would of been very popular.

Oh... and I bought that Nomad 100 on the spot. Had it now for 3 years, never a problem. The Nomad 55 has been gone for about... hmm... 3 years. :D

Thanks for the thoughts ...interesting.

I love my DC (of old!) and MKIII Simul (recent convert!!). And for whatever reason (don't know why other than the fact it just intrigues me) I am really curious about the Blue Angel. But for whatever reason, never curious about the Nomads. Go figure. Peace, all! Always nice to know about one's "extended family" eh? :)

Edward

I've got a Nomad 55 that I'm keeping. I have added a modded graphic in the loop for tonal shaping and also a modded Rat2 for slightly dirty boost. Also I sh!t canned the stock tubes for a set from Dougs that really made a difference. I've found some real nice tones on ch3 with the gain dialed back to about 9 o'clock. The clean channel on this amp is one of the best I've heard. Of course ch2 kicks ***. For the going price they're hard to beat if you don't mind throwing a few pedals down and a tube change. The only other amp I'd consider would be a RK for even more versatility.

I forgot to add one thing and this may not be to everyone's liking. I keep the solo button on all the time and bypass the master volume. For some reason it gives the amp way more punch and definition. Maybe some of the gurus can explain why.

I agree with the poster who stated that CH3 had too much gain.

I'll also agree that the Nomad 100 112 was a GREAT sounding amp. My band did a show sponsored by Guitar Center a few years ago, and they provided a Nomad 100 112 with a 112 Widebody Extension cab. I was a little anxious, as I used Mark IIIs at the time, but it took me less than finve minutes to dial in the three channels. We did a great show for them that day, and I got lots of compliments on my tone.

So, if a good deal on a Nomad 100 fell into my lap, yeah, I'd get it. I still have my Mark IIIs and now a Mark IV combo, so the Nomad 55 holds little interest for me. Ditto for the Nomad 45--I also have a DC-3.

Bill

edward said:
Just wondering aloud here, if you all can help me.

Why is it that the Nomad series doesn't seem to have the "following" or popularity of some of the other boogies in its like-wattage? Let's ignore the Marks, Rectos, and L-Stars for a moment as those truly have their loyal niches. But from my perception (based on what I've read over the years, comments, and even the number of threads) the Nomads just don't seem to come up as often or have the same "following" or "street cred" as, say, any of the calibers (regular or DCs), or the F-series. And it seems, too, that they didn't have a particularly long lifespan as if Mesa didn't really care for them. What's the deal with Nomads? ...not to step on Nomad lovers here as you obviously dig them. But why is it you think they haven't had the same impact (or even name recognition) as some of the other boogies I mentioned.

Edward

I got a Nomad 100 head when they were first released. I was initially pleased with it but over time I grew to despise it, lol.

I think it was partly because I played the Nomad first before experiencing the more entrenched Rectifier and Mark series lines respectively.

After my exposure to the other Mesa's, the Nomad seemed like a half assed compromise between the two, IMO.

The quality of sound just didn't seem as good to me, and I sold it for quite a big loss at the time.

I have a Nomad 55 2X12 and it kills. In fact I'm ditching my Mark III because it never gets used.

With a Gibson-style guitar (I use a 335), it's almost impossible to get a bad sound on any channel.

With a strat it's harder, but I found it helps to roll both tone controls on the guitar back to halfway (I find it almost impossible to dial in a good strat sound with the Mark III). I'm sitting her playing through channel 3 with my strat right now and it is pure Eric Johnston violin tone.

I know tone is subjective, but I can't believe that people have trouble with this amp. I remember the review for it in Guitar (UK) magazine when it came out said that it if you couldn't get a good sound out of it, you couldn't play guitar, and I tend to agree.

Latest posts

Back