aby switcher pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used 2 different radials,a morley,a electro harmonix,and whirlwind,and a few others cause Im big into switchin in and out various amps( as in the signature), and ive found the Lehle to be the most transparent, quiet,and flexible to date....the sgos dual actually will switch up to 3 amps at once if you program it correctly....Ive recently used it to combine my SLO,Splawn, and Coli red stripe, and what a sound when theyre all runnin...love it...but, youll pay more for it than the others....so...mow a few more lawns, do a longer paper route,put in a longer shift, sell more of whatever you need to- its worth it....like someone said before- you do get what you pay for"

rabies said:
not sure where to post it so here now.

is there any decent sounding aby pedal so I can run two amps at the same time (i.e. split the signal from one 1/4" input)?

i read some bad reviews on the Radial Engineering BigShot ABY Passive Switcher. Switchbone costs too much.

???

I'm interested in hearing the mix of KT66 marshall and EL34 rivera.

thx.

Many AB-Y switchers will only let you choose "A" or "B" but *not both* so be careful. Only the more expensive ones can do both channels at once.

And the cheap and nasty ones will leave the unused channel dangling, so it's like having a guitar lead plugged into an amp with no guitar - we all know that means buzz buzz buzz.

Anyway you're talking about trying BOTH amps at once.

A cheaper, easier and in my opinion far better way to hear your rig with both amps running at once is via a good chorus pedal, most guys have chorus lying around the house somewhere ... look in the garden or something ...

The more transparent the better but for an experiment any stereo chorus will do, just start with very low deep and speed settings so you can't even tell chorus is on.

I never really liked my tc electronics SCF (I prefer Roland/Boss and Electro Harmonix type chorus) BUT as a dual amp driver the SCF was absolutely brilliant. Wall to wall tone heaven.

Another completely different way to do this is to SLAVE the amps together, if your amps have slave outputs? Most mesa amps do (but make sure you know what you're doing...)

But I'm just guess here but I reckon the chorus experiment will get you started.

If you get into this multi-amp thing seriously then look at the Ground Control and tc electronic gear but don't expect to get out of it cheaply. I have a Rocktron PatchMate and All-Access (heavy) and I can't be fussed with all that MIDI guts, --- dancing on pedals was easier after all.

Good luck.

PS. Has anybody tried a Boss AB-2, pretty cheap and from what I can tell they do take care of the dangling unused channel problem?

The chorus, or any other one-in-two-out effects pedal, doesn't need to be engaged for it to work as a splitter, but it will need to be powered up unless it's true bypass.
You can also use a direct box which has a "through" option.

MrMarkIII said:
The chorus, or any other one-in-two-out effects pedal, doesn't need to be engaged for it to work as a splitter, but it will need to be powered up unless it's true bypass.
You can also use a direct box which has a "through" option.

Oh yeah good point, you don't have to have the chorus pedal engaged all the time at all - so the OP can test dual amps with and without (I'd suggest a super mild) chorus.

I tried to make the tc electronics SCF sound so mild that you could not say "hey that's chorus he's got switched on" - yet enough to add to the stereo image. So I had it on all the time! So all the time that I never switched it off at the wall, 24/7 - I just switched the amps and other stuff off and in the end I think that's what killed the SCF. I learned my lesson. They cost a fortune to replace.

Cheers.

Back