About retubing my Heartbreaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardocasm

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first tube amp, a Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker and the tubes were packed seperately. So I was seeing how the tubes fit in the socket and I noticed I could only insert them a little ways until it wouldn't slide any further. What caught me off guard was that the prongs are still visible when this resistance occurs. So my question is, is this normal or am I just not putting them in correctly?

tubes should be fully seated in the sockets. the tubes only fit into the sockets one way, so if they arent going in all the way, you may not be lining the key slot up on the powertubes, or the pins up on the per-amp tubes. if this is the case, and the tubes are in wrong, you'd deffinitly find out fast. if they are in the right place, and they just dont seat, make sure the pins are all straight. use a small mirror if you cant see the sockets.

There is a guide pin on the tube and it slides into a groove on the socket.
On some amps, there may be a very little bit of the pins showing. If they are hanging half way out, there must be a problem. Usually, if you try to put a power tube in wrong, it will snap the guide pin off, or, if you have ceramic sockets it will grind the plastic guide off the tube. If you do this and turn it on, poof, your tube is blown.

Alright, thanks. I figured it out. I just had to maneuver the tubes a little bit while putting them in.

yeah theyll be a little of a snug fit, just make sure you have the guide on the power tubes lined up, the pre amp tubes will go in a lot easier, but dont have guide pins, but the pins are really small so be careful with those, but i find you have to give them a little bit of a push

pm me and please tell how that beast sounds once you do get the tubes in! you have the el34s 6v6s or 6l6s there with you?
peace out,
marc

I've got Sovtek EL34's in it, but sadly I won't be able to play it for a couple weeks since it'll take at least that long until I'll be able to purchase a 4X12.

Sardocasm said:
I've got Sovtek EL34's in it, but sadly I won't be able to play it for a couple weeks since it'll take at least that long until I'll be able to purchase a 4X12.
:cry:

Latest posts

Back