Aah! I cant decide what tube/overdrive pedal to get!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spratty59

Reaction score
I really need your help.
Iv just recently, last week, bought my first mesa product. A single rectifier head...
so Iv only recently joined the community here...

And you are probably the only people who can help me... My new friends... haha.
Im stuck, I don't know what pedal to get; that will go nicely with my Single Rectifier.

I play rhythm in a modern rock band who play a genre somewhere between Indie/Emo/Screamo/Metal and wanted 2 pedals to further distort and 'diversitise' my amp during a show. (I play into an Orange VintageC's 2x12 cab)

Iv come up with a shortlist... Opinions would be beautiful!:

Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Luther Drive
OCD V1/V2/V3
Maxon 808
TS808
Behringer TO800 (dont write him off... hes a bit of a surprise this one)

Where do you stand?!

You are asking for something very specific and no one can answer it for you... You need to find the answer yourself. Trial and error is the only way you will know which one to get.

I know it sounds expensive, but it's not really. You buy one pedal. Try it out for a bit, if it doesn't work out, sell it and buy another. The small loss you will take on each one is considered a "rental fee"

Try and buy used too

The Maxon OD808 is THE boost to have for a Rectifier IMO. You will not be disappointed.

Another part of advice...if you have a GC close by, use there 30 day no questions asked return policy. Buy the pedal, try it, and if you don't like it, try the next one. I won't cost you a dime. The store isn't perfect, but many people seem to take this policy for granted. It's AWESOME when you don't know which piece of gear is best for you!

Eric

I use the maxon od808 and it does a pretty good job of boosting the signal to my liking. It tightens up the bass some when needed, I don't use it all the time, because sometimes I like having a little more thunderous bass response. I borrowed a buddy's OD9 and it was nice, had an interchangeable chip mod on it, but I like the 808 better for metal tone boosting. I didn't really try others that much, but if i didn't get the maxon, i'd probably look into a bbe or the fulltone.

-AJH

First off, welcome to the Mesa family!!! now, overdives to go along with rectifier heads is a tricky topic. I curntly own quite a few that I use to boost and as a main overdive tone on the clean channel. Here are my experiences... First off, a Maxon OD808 or a keeley baked mod TS9 are really great pedals for boosting channels 2 & 3 (a la Killswitch Engage, A7X) although the keeley sounds more transparent and meatier in the low end than the maxon. You can also use either pedal on ch. 1 for some nice vintage rock tones and blues rock tones. My current favorite overdive pedal for this type of thing right now is a Fulltone Full-Drive 2!!! Classic TS808 output with all the mods that current pedal modders offer plus you have an extra channel for setting up different drive settings. Channel 1 on the pedal can be used for boosting ch. 2 & 3 and for classic rock rythm sounds and when you neeed the extra drive for classic type solo"s on Ch. 1, you have the extra channel on the pedal....VERY USEFUL AND CONVENIENT!!!!! Now, an OCD is a different beast. The OCD is really quite versatile for boosting and as a main overdrive tone. The pedal can cop american and british type overdrive tones very well with the added feature of hearing all those nice 5th and 6th harmonics as you let a chord righ out. The thing about the OCD is that the lowend is more noticeable than a TS808 circuit and the OCD cleans up EXTREMELY well with the guitar volume rolled down. It is a differnent tone all together which is why I have both on my board. Now, I recently added another overdrive0clean blend pedal to my board also...I switch between a Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive and a Way Huge Pork Loin. The sparkledrive is a classic 8008 circuit with the ability to dial in your clean signal to taste to combine a boosted tone and original drive tone from the amp....this has been VERY PLEASING to my ears lately. The Pork Loin does pretty much the exact same thing except its a original design circuit instead of a 808 clone and the clean blend of the pork loin goes through some hifi british transistors for a really nice warm, and rounded tone. So, as you can see; you have A LOT OF OPTIONS!!! Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to post and I'll be glad to help as much as possible!!!

I almost forgot... don't forget to check out the xotic effect line up...particularly the AC Boost and BB Preamp!!!!

Back