I find the V to be better than the IV in almost every way.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufuss Sewell

Reaction score
I've been recording and gigging with a Mark IV B for about 9 years. I recently bought a Mark V and sold my Mark IV. The truth is I've always had a love/hate relationship with my IV. The cleans were pretty good. Channel 2 was pretty much useless to me. And channel 3 had the ability to have a great lead tone OR and great metal rhythm tone, but not both at the same time. So I've been forced to gig with two amps. I'd use the Mark IV for clean and lead and a 2ch Triple Rec for metal rhythm. It was an amazing sounding set up. 5 channels at my feet. Recto: ultra clean and Metal. Mark IV: dirty clean, AC/DC (never really used) and lead. But carrying around all that gear was a huge pain. Plus it would get so confusing with three different pedals for channel switching, The third being my Radial ABY amp switcher. I could also double the lead and metal tones for ultimate havoc. BUT...

The whole time I dreamt of a single amp that could cover my clean, metal and lead tones. AND now I have it! So I feel the need to elaborate:

Channel 1: For me it's all about Fat mode. Some people have derided the reverb in the V but for me in this mode, it sounds amazing. And SO much better than anything the IV could muster. I can just sit and play in this mode forever. It's stunning to me. The other two are nice, but not quite my cup of tea. Tweed will certainly get some recording time for the clean breakup thing though.

Channel 2: WHAT? Crunch mode sounds like a completely different amp to me. It's just so open and cutting. Definitely satisfying my lead tone and giving me a whole new rhythm tone for full chords. Even with complex or dissonant chords every note sings out. And with the solo boost, I can easily have a rhythm and lead with this one mode. Crunch is the most exciting part of the V for me. Totally unexpected. I'm not too into Edge or Mark 1. But I can see them being used for recording. My only complaint in channel 2 is that the reverb doesn't seem to get very loud. It's pretty much inaudible even at the highest setting until you stop playing. Then you can hear it ringing out.

Channel 3. Being a fan of the Triple Rec for metal rhythm I was instantly drawn to Extreme mode. I feel like I was able to dial in an even better tone than my Mark IV. My 4x12 Ampeg cab has no problem getting super heavy bass. And again since there's a solo boost I have two lead channels plus two rhythm channels. Ch2 Crunch being mainly for lead with the occasional rhythm and Ch3 Extreme being mainly rhythm with occasional lead.

More general observations:

Individual reverb levels are a huge advantage. With the IV the balance between the clean and lead was always off. Now I can have the lead reverb all the way up (still not quite enough but wasn't with IV either) the clean level about half way and the metal reverb almost off.

Solo boost!!! YES!!! It makes my whole life so much happier just having this one function! For a lead guitarist in a metal band it's just a must have feature. Why it wasn't included in the Mark IV is beyond me.

Foot pedal: Wow... so much better! Having the reverb and mute switches is excellent. The mute button lets me have my tuner on all the time so I can tune mid song without muting, or mute for tuning between songs. Very liberating.

More flexible EQ! It was always such a headache having a single graphic EQ shared between every channel. Now I'm pretty sure I can get away with the preset for Crunch mode which sounds great dimed. And get crazy with the graphic in Extreme mode. I also add a tiny bit of preset to Fat. No more King Solomon style baby splitting with the EQ.

For studio use the true bypass of the main output, solo and FX loop etc. really does make the amp sound better. And wattage/rectifier switching is a huge improvement over the IV.

In general the V is just WAY easier to coax a satisfying tone out of. The tones were all there in the IV, but it seemed like sifting through tons of crap to find the gold. With the V amazing tones just jump right out.

Coming from someone who has used a IV extensively for many years in a full time working recording studio where the amp probably ended up on over 100 albums, I can say without hyperbole that the Mark V is a better sounding and far more versatile amp while being easier to use than a Mark IV. All these gadgets and options aren't just marketing hype. They are really all very useful and well thought out. I've found my amp after all these years!

I never played a IV so cannot agree or disagree with your comparison, but the Mark V itself is a heck of an amp. A great investment!

Well, it certainly depends on the use...or style of music played. So your title is misleading...cause I disagree the it's better in every way. I don't play heavy Metal or Hard Rock..

While I agree that overall the V is a better amp, IMHO the IV still has the better ch 3 lead, In fact, ch 3 on the IV is better than any mode of the V's ch 3.

Of course, the V greatly outperforms the IV in the 1st two channels, therefore making it the better amp.

BTW, I've been playing and recording with a IVB as well for well over 10 years...and have owned at a IV (A or B) since they were first released.

@Jazzgear: The title starts with "I find" indicating that I'm giving my personal opinion on the subject. I assure you I'm not misleading you about my opinion, haha. I like Ch3 on the V better. It would be quite asinine of me to assume everyone else would share that opinion.

As a Mark IV owner this is food for thought. Ive been tossing the idea of trading off for a roadster because of the recto metal tone. If the V has that viscious, in you face sound in the extereme setting then I may reconsider.

Rufuss Sewell said:
@Jazzgear: The title starts with "I find" indicating that I'm giving my personal opinion on the subject. I assure you I'm not misleading you about my opinion, haha. I like Ch3 on the V better. It would be quite asinine of me to assume everyone else would share that opinion.
Mmmm... yes. Quite so good Sir.

@ Ryjan: I still prefer my Triple Rec for crushing metal tones. For slower super heavy metal it's all about the Triple Rec. I have an old 2 channel, so I'm not sure if it translates to the newer rectos. For faster technical metal I'd go with the Mark V. But in general I'd say my order of preference for that single tone is:

1. Triple Rec 2ch version.

2. Mark V in Extreme mode

3. Mark IV lead channel.

With that said, the Triple Rec is a one trick pony. For live use or if you want a single amp to cover all your bases the Mark V wins hands down.

I have no idea how the V compares to the IV as I have not played a V, but I 100 percent disagree about having a good lead tone Or a good rythm tone but not both.

Channel 3 on the IV is unreal. I pretty much agree with you on channels 1 and 2.

But I can easily get a thick tight crushing metal rythm tone that kicks *** for leads as well.

Rufuss, the triple rec is too much of a beast for me. I mainly jam with buddies in my basement so I'll need something I can dial down. I usually have my Mark IV on tweed, class A, triode into my cab switched to 2x12. The 10 watt option on the V would be killer for me, but I still want to hear a 2x12 roadster combo. Probably just a bad case of GAS! :wink:

thegaindeli said:
I was playing a Mark IV yesterday, and the IMHO - the Mark V is a superior amp in every way compared to the Mark IV. Better Clean - WAY better 2nd channel, and finally the 3rd channel... Well, there's no contest. :lol: The only thing I wish the Mark V had, is the rear mountable foot switch. :? The Mark V is not "like having 3 amps... It IS 3 different amps! :D

Well, with all due respect, see...you played a Mark IV, I've owned one for quite a long time -- and now own a Mark V along side the IV --big difference.

@Primal: For me personally, leads need to be considerably louder than rhythm. I'm in a 6 piece band. I need to be able to have a heavy, but not overbearingly loud rhythm, then for leads I need to be able to stand out over the rest of the band. It just wasn't possible since the IV doesn't have any kind of boost and the second channel was useless. Believe me, I tried for years and the only solution was two amps. Now with the V it has both a boost AND an excellent 2nd channel, so it fixed the problem in two ways!

Rufuss Sewell said:
@Primal: For me personally, leads need to be considerably louder than rhythm. I'm in a 6 piece band. I need to be able to have a heavy, but not overbearingly loud rhythm, then for leads I need to be able to stand out over the rest of the band. It just wasn't possible since the IV doesn't have any kind of boost and the second channel was useless. Believe me, I tried for years and the only solution was two amps. Now with the V it has both a boost AND an excellent 2nd channel, so it fixed the problem in two ways!

So it wasn't a tone issue, it was a volume issue. For me I usually play in single guitar, or at most two guitar bands. But in the past I have had a sound man just bump up my volume during leads.

primal said:
Rufuss Sewell said:

So it wasn't a tone issue, it was a volume issue. For me I usually play in single guitar, or at most two guitar bands. But in the past I have had a sound man just bump up my volume during leads.

i think his original post laid it out. Some of it tone, some of it function and the best overall package is the V.

I agree with his assessment on easily dialing in tones, and channel 2 being something special.

That alone would make this amp one for the books!

Here in Austin the typical sound man will grumble and ***** about having to setup a DI for keys or any extra mics for guitars and vocals. Then he'll get a half assed mix going and spend the rest of the set at the bar drinking beer.

really, austin texas? That place is probably the most happening place ive seen for music, (havent been to la, or any cali scene area's) and NYC doesn't seem to have anything going on, but then again i live to close but am so far from it (ha). When i was in austin there was a band in every bar (and every genre) i would figure thered be some good soundmen out there... especially if there is work for it.

Fixxer6671 said:
primal said:
Rufuss Sewell said:

i think his original post laid it out. Some of it tone, some of it function and the best overall package is the V.

I agree with his assessment on easily dialing in tones, and channel 2 being something special.

That alone would make this amp one for the books!

I wasn't debating whether the V is better then the IV. Just that you can get a good lead and rythm tone at the same time with the Mark IV.

The music scene is great here. But the Austin scene is all about being a slacker. Slacker music, slacker bands and slacker sound guys. Not all of them of course, the guys at Antone's for example are top notch. Cedar Street too. But you could never count on sound guys to turn up solos around here.

Latest posts

Back