a travesty...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paleamberglow

Reaction score
i saw a metal band tonight in baltimore... the lead guitarist was playing through a dual rectifier on stage... but he wasn't really, first he plugged into some crappy digitech multi-fx floor unit and used the distortion from that into the DR. Now... why the hell would you use that if you have a top of the line tube amp made for high gain distortion..

on another note, the guitarist in the band afterwards was using a Carvin legacy head and 2x12 cab with no crappy fx which sounded really good

Yeah, that makes no sense at all. Maybe the sound he was looking for was sh!t? Maybe the band requirement was to sound terrible? Sometimes people do some stupid stuff and sometimes other people require you to do stupid stuff.

I remember having a guy tell me that he liked the sound of a stupid pedal better than my old Marshall for straight up rock tone. That relationship lasted about a day after that. I played through the pedal for a rehearsal but then told him that I just had other stuff to do. To base your tone off a pedal is pretty lame. I am more into the pure tone of the amp. I would have much rather played through a different amp but then again.... why?

I think that the poor guy using the digitech floor fx was misguided and should have seen the light. He may still. Did you tell him that the Carvin killed him? I think that alone would change his mind. It would change mine if I was being led astray. I just don't understand why people think they need a distortion pedal out in front of a modern high gain amp. I could see maybe using the modulation effects in a pinch but not the distortion. Maybe his head was screwed up and he could not get any distortion out of it. Maybe his head (on his shoulders) was screwed up. Who knows?

Time to make a note to self:

If I ever get a DR, I must put a Digitech multi-fx floor unit in front of it to sound uber cool...

not!

i think sounds like a classic case of if you own it use it...like the guy's who hav more pedals on there board to poke a stick at...or to put into a song..

Besides being a bass player, I don't see the point of using a pedal for your distortion if you have even a semi-decent amplifier.

Maybe some vintage overdrive or whatever for tone variations, but the meat and potatos has got to come from your dirty channel.

yeah, i use a Big Muff with my mark iv, but it is just for a couple songs where i want a different sound... not to mention the big muff actually sounds good. Russ, i didn't bother talking to that guitarist, he looked like he wasn't too bright and probably wouldn't have understood my point. plus the band was so bad that we left while they were playing and came back after they were gone.

I hear you paleamber glow:

I've been playing the guitar for (gulp) 34+ years. Never bought or played with a distortion stomp box.

I could understand some using a pedal through the clean channel or using distortion for a different effect but using stomp box extensively as your only distortion, I don't get it.

Do you watch your color TV in black n white? :?

If you can't get the "built-in" distortion that you like out of your high gain amp whether it Boogie, Bogner, Soldano, Diezel or what-have-you, you either don't know how to dial in your amp or a dumbass. Don't understand it.

I thought getting those modeling effects were to spice up your solid state amp to sound like tube. I don't know, never owned a modeling or solid state amps but I did borrow a few friends' modeling and solid state amps. After a half hour later, it gets old. Don't like 'em.

But that's just me. :wink:

Latest posts

Back