A To be mesa owner looking for some advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlewing91

Reaction score
After buying what i had hoped would be the perfect "all in one" tube amp by Marshall I decided to return My JVM 410 head and 1960A cab. For a tube amp of that price it sounded surprisingly sterile, and solid state, not to mention is also on the noisy side. Between the lack of good sounds and bad build quality (plastic knobs, etc) I figured I was wasting $3000 and decided its time to switch to mesa.

I tried both the Roadster and Stiletto Deuce Heads and love both but decided to order in the Roadster for its versatility and great sounds.

I realize I will not get the "authentic Marshall sound" From this amp but I was wondering if

A)Buying a stiletto cab would work with the roadster, and if it would increase mids and take a little off the bass which I have been told the recto cabs are known for.

B)If I choose to switch out the 6L6's for El 34's will it give it more of a marshall sound? I'm just curious if anyone has done this and what they think of the results.

Finally I was wondering what the situation is on customizing amps as the custom shop has a nice gallery but Not too much information as to how to have it done.

Thanks For your help
Clayton

Good choice with the Roadster. I have one and I don't think I'll ever part with it.

A)Buying a stiletto cab would work with the roadster, and if it would increase mids and take a little off the bass which I have been told the recto cabs are known for.

B)If I choose to switch out the 6L6's for El 34's will it give it more of a marshall sound? I'm just curious if anyone has done this and what they think of the results.

Finally I was wondering what the situation is on customizing amps as the custom shop has a nice gallery but Not too much information as to how to have it done.

A) I've used my Roadster through a Marshall cab (V30's) and it was more midrangy with less bass response. I guess the size and build would be about the same for the Mesa Trad cab. That being said, I've since gotten a Standard recto 412 and the bass from it is very addictive :D .

B) EL34's give the Roadster a bit more upper mid growl, but don't expect it to be spot-on Marshall. This amp was built for 6L6's and it really responds better with them IMHO. In the Brit setting, it comes closer to Plexi/AC30ish sounds than gained out modern Marshall.

3)Your Mesa dealer should be able to walk you through the custom ordering process.

Just my $0.02
Peace

alright man thanks i really appreciate the help and advice.

Im realizing that i really dont need the full out custom look but maybe some just modifications, i read someone replaced the front with the diamond grill. Im not sure if this was done in the custom shop but I was really just wondering if i could remove the bottom strip of black diamond plating.

Not a huge deal but i do think it looks sorta lame :roll:

It could probably be removed, but the diamond plate is barely noticable from a distance. It's probably just wood underneath the plating. I have thought about removing the vinyl and plate myself and replacing it with white cane grill cloth. If I get around to it in the next few weeks I'll let you know the process.

Peace

the stilleto cab does add mids and reduce bass, so you're spot on there. Adding el34's will not make it sound like a marshall. It just makes the amp sound a little more aggressive.

Elpelotero said:
the stilleto cab does add mids and reduce bass, so you're spot on there. Adding el34's will not make it sound like a marshall. It just makes the amp sound a little more aggressive.

yeah Im definiatly going with a stiletto cab, no question about it now :D

Anyone have experience with JVM's? everyone i have talked to speak praises of them and I don't know what there talking about, its like there talking about another amp! Anyway im stoked to become a mesa user. :lol:

Littlewing91 said:
...i read someone replaced the front with the diamond grill.

I think I know the post you're talking about. If I'm not mistaken it was an "extra-special, one-of-a-kind" order. That's the feeling I got from the post. They replaced the tolex and black diamond plate with a more traditional dual-rec diamond plate and vents. I think Mesa wasn't intending on doing many of those, but hey, it would be worth asking about. I liked that look, but I still love my standard Roadster because it is a different look than all the other rectos.

Welcome to the board.

Littlewing91 said:
Anyone have experience with JVM's? everyone i have talked to speak praises of them and I don't know what there talking about, its like there talking about another amp! Anyway im stoked to become a mesa user. :lol:

I used to own a TSL 100W combo - distortion was turd. Couldn't get a "chug" rythym out of it even with mids all the way down. So I moved to a Single Recto - never looked back.
Anyway, our other guitarist has a JVM head, and even though it's an improvement on the TSL it's still not amazing. With chan4 on red mode you can get quite a decent heavy chug out of it but my Mesa blows it away. He even bought an Engl cab with Clestion V60s in it to try and get less mids/more bass/treble. It sounds good, but again, my Recto blows it away even using a Framus 2x12. Now I have a Recto 4x12 there is no comparison. The Road King should be even more amazing.

I tried a TSL100 when I was looking for my new amp. It was alright I suppose. But it was surprisingly bland for even a marshall. My other guitarist has a DSL40 and it sounds about the same as the TSL. Nothing jaw-dropping about it. I have a cousin who has some anniversary-edition marshall and it blows them both away. However, I didn't have much time to spend on the TSL, but I have with the DSL, and they both sound about the same. I haven't got to play a JVM, but I've heard some clips on youtube (and yes I realize that doesn't even come close to hearing it in person), but when comparing it to the mesa videos on youtube, it just doesn't get me excited at all.

when experimenting with the Road King I didn't notice a huge difference switching b/w el34 and 6L6 tubes. I think the voicing in the amp is the main driver of the tone.

Littlewing91 said:
After buying what i had hoped would be the perfect "all in one" tube amp by Marshall I decided to return My JVM 410 head and 1960A cab. For a tube amp of that price it sounded surprisingly sterile, and solid state, not to mention is also on the noisy side.... Clayton

IMHO, there's where you went wrong. Marshall pushes the 1960A cab but the build quality is crap and the G12T75's are way too bright. If you'd have picked up a 1960AV cab with V30's, I'm willing to bet that you would have felt different.

Don't worry what other people think about an amp. We all have the greatest amps ever made in our signatures. They are what we own and prefer. At least until something else comes along. The Roadster and Roadkings are great versitile amps.

I do caution if you like a rectifier, buy a rectifier. If you like a Marshall buy a Marshall. If you can't decide, get both!

I tried it in multiple cabs (though i never tried a AV) But The amp just didn't have a "tube" feel to it, even if i liked the tone a bit more it wouldn't have mattered. after trying some mesa's and orange amps i experience a real organic feel that i wasn't getting from the JVM, which just felt like TSL on modeling steroids, The Gain stages also weren't my style.

Unfortunately I can't buy both but maybe down the road i will, But Unless marshall comes out with a new amp ill probably go with a vintage or vintage modern amp.

Is there any talk of a new version of the roadster coming out, cause i really don't wanna buy if this is a bad time.

Not unless something is coming out at summer NAMM.

I think you'll like the Roadster with the Stiletto cab. I'm a big fan of V30's because they are a good all around speaker.

Go ahead and read up on the manual. Mesa has the best manuals in the known tone universe.

Alright sounds good

Does anyone know of any modifications anyone has done to there roadster head regarding the diamond plate? Some pictures of peoples amps show the diamond plate being even bigger! I would really like it gone and its the only thing that bothers me about the amp, but unless i custom ordered it I guess thats really out of the question...

Latest posts

Back