• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

a little shipping advice ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
i just received a 2x12 vertical cab from a member in NYC. we had some shipping difficulty, and thank GOD it was a Mesa - indestructible, bulletproof, built like a tank, yadda yadda yadda ... i am certain most of the other cabs I have had over the years would not have survived the packing job.

in defense of the shipper/seller - the box was torn during shipping and some packing material could have been lost on the truck. this shipment was sent via UPS and the delivery guy = my regular guy i see 3-5x a week at my office = insisted we inspect it before he left. btw, ups usually honors my claims for damages - but they probably would not in this case.

for those who may be a little ignorant, or uninformed or whatever, i thought i would post some advice for shipping. if this would have been a head or combo - it probably would be dead. as the UPS guy said, this might have been at the top of a 13' cargo trailer and fell ... once again - thanks to Randall, Mike B. and the guys - this is another reason not to own other product ... freaking tank. and ... i'm not upset at the shipper ... until you ship stuff across the country for several years (i ship computers and printers) ... you don;t really know what goes on.

anyway, here are some points for you heavy shippers to consider ... if you don;t have the original packing materials (like - who does).

1. if you use peanuts, you can only use them as a secondary buffer. you need at least 2 inches solid of peanuts around your primary buffer. you also need to seal your primary buffer so the peanuts can't intrude - they are a ***** to get out and it loses buffering. wrap something around the "open areas" these peanuts are like termites and seek opening to imbed themselves inside your electronics.

2. your primary buffer should be bubble wrap - and it should surround all surfaces - at least on the cabinet it should surround all the corners and seal from outside intrusion (from something like peanuts). on a head - at least 2" thick around the entire thing. that gorilla from the American Tourister commercials can't harm it then (showing my age).

3. if you ship something this heavy, or should i say dense - as in heavy for it's size - the little airbags are useless. they are really there to prevent things from shifting. you would be better off filling it with large chunks of broken styrofoam. packed very closely with peanuts may work - but they must be so close as to create a solid form. that takes a lot of peanuts.

4. the box tore. a problem with used boxes is that the lose angle integrity - the sides flex as they get used more and more. if the cab was 20 pounds - probably no problem. most lightly used boxes work fine as long as the interior is packed solid and won;t "flex" as the contents do shift a little.

5. if i don;t have a box that fits well ... sometimes i raid a appliance store and "borrow" a refrigerator box then go to work with it and my trusty knife and "real packing tape" - don;t use duct tape, or other paper tape. PACKING TAPE. try to insure that most of the original bends/corners stay intact as you surgically reproduce a stable packing box for your item.

that's it. sorry for the long post - i hope it does someone good.

UPS is notorious for thrashing packages. I've had two cabs get destroyed by UPS and I packed them both VERY VERY well. I'm meticulous when it comes to packing. I pack as if i'm shipping something to myself all the way around the world. Even so speakers have been sheared from the screw holes and chewed up grill cloth and baffles from UPS throwing packages around. The more stops the package makes the higher the chance of damage. Writings on the box that say "this side up" or "fragile" mean nothing to the goons that are paid to lift all these packages day in and day out!!! The more packaging material you can stuff in the better. I received two recto cabs a few months ago and they were packaged with bubble wrap wrapped around two or three times and then shrink wrapped. They made it all the way from the west coast some how! I was not impressed and let the seller know but he thought it was a great packing job. I like to bubble wrap twice around each side, then surround with 2" of peanuts in a nice box. I'll use styrophome to protect the corners of the amp or cab too. I shipped a 80lb+ stiletto ace combo using the above packing technique and it arrived unscaved. I usesd some old undershirts to take up the extra space on top too. Just use common sense and take your time people!

+1 on UPS destroying stuff. I just got a Nomad 100 head and Lonestar 2x12 shipped to me and the shippers packed them really well, but UPS managed to break almost all of the power tubes! The boxes looked like they went through World War 3!

-dave

+2 on UPS's History of Destruction. I try to avoid them at all costs. They're brutal. The only positive was that they did make good on replacing broken items.

firstsong said:
+2 on UPS's History of Destruction. I try to avoid them at all costs. They're brutal. The only positive was that they did make good on replacing broken items.

Usually... but in some cases you get screwed. ALWAYS PAY FOR INSURANCE!

+1

I had an item LOST by UPS (tracking ended at thier California wharehouse) and I was told that I "just needed to contact the original seller and get them to send another one cause we have no idea where your item is at this time" and my insirance claim was filed over 2 years ago now. Insurance doesnt always help but is a good idea. I go Fed Ex or even USPS whenever possible.

My roadster came in today, the seller packed up all the tubes in bubble wrap and did everything he could to make sure they wouldn't break, but UPS managed to break one. I didn't have any spares, so I went and bought a set of 6l6 with the money I was going to use for el34s.. yark...

Mesas OEM shipping and foam packaging is top notch. But I usually double box amps I'm shipping or being shipped to me. That has worked well, never had an issue. Cuts down on relying on peanuts or such, doesn't add a whole lot to the cost.

Not a big fan of peanuts or UPS. Seems like all the UPS stores like to use the peanuts.

I would never use peanuts to pack anything heavy. I once received an amp head that was put in a box with only peanuts (shipped via UPS store). Head was not bubble wrapped or anything. By the time it got to me the peanuts settled to about 2/3rds of the way down in the box. The box looked like hell with the head bouncing around in there, but everything was ok with it somehow but I was sure worried until I got home and checked it out.

I hate the peanuts. They are a pain to get out of whatever they get into and they go all over the place when you take your amp out. And they are just a pain to clean up. That's why I will never use them. Plenty of other materials you can use that do a far better job of protecting.

another +1 on UPS sucking big time!

I had to call for over a month, to get a claim filed, then reversed, for their obvious negligence. I had to speak to many different supervisors, and it wasn't until I spoke to the person who actually made the decision on the claim, that I made any progress. I had to send her my own pictures of the damage to the box and showing all the packing (which the investigation failed to provide). It was like pulling teeth.

I only use USPS Priority or Fed Ex now.

:D UPS is the reason that I have a Fed Ex account!
Years ago, I sold a Heartbreaker combo.
The box left my office 36" high and came back 18" high.
It basically looked like it should have had a sticker from every country in the southern hemisphere on it!

I always number and remove all tubes, then individually bubble wrap them.
If it's possible (space willing) I put the tubes in a box with peanuts or more bubble wrap and then put it in the back of the amp.
I wrap the amp or cab in a heavy duty trash bag and tape the hell out of it.
This way, it's water proof! Nothing can get in there.
I use 2" styrofoam sheeting from my local lumber store. Just the cheap stuff that the Circle 'K' ice chests are made out of. It's about $7 a sheet, but well worth it!
I use heavy duty boxes or double box if the interior one is not strong enough.
I cut the foam so that it makes the box retain it's shape, this really helps, otherwise the whole thing is just a house of cards.
I also make **** sure that the amp cannot move even 1/4". Any shifting will just increase the chances of damage.

I had to learn the hard way and buy the Heartbreaker back. I took a chance and shipped it with what I had for packing materials, which obviously were sub standard. Won't make that mistake again!
On the upside though, I was able to make UPS cover the damage and used the money to re-build the HB. Amazingly enough, it fired right up after I removed the 2 broken tubes! Built like a tank but sings like an angel! :lol:

I have an old friend that drives for UPS.
He has told me some of the horror stories of how UPS is laying off people while increasing the workload on all their employees. (While most larger companies are guilty of this, it don't make it right!)

He claims they coerce the employees to work "free" overtime (threats if they don't make quota in an 8 hr. day).
If they think/know something "may" be damaged, since the reporting process cuts into the time needed to make quota and may count against them, they just let it go to be the next guy's problem.

Granted, he is not real happy, so he may be venting with exaggeration, but I have seen this in many U.S. companies, so I'm sure there's some truth to it.

Having said this, I have had "fairly few" problems with UPS (except of course the time they completely lost my father's birthday present....but they paid for it at least).

The best advice is LOTSA packing material. I've used and like the styrofoam sheets that 'Monsta' describes...they work!
You can't depend on UPS as much anymore, so depend on yourself! :D

I've never had a problem with UPS.

I ALWAYS request or ship heads/amps double boxed and I suggest others do the same. Anything else besides that or what the OEM uses is risky.

For heads, Soldano uses a single box and maybe 3/4 inch styrofoam sheet lining the shipping box. Thats all.

I haven't had any issues with shipping large packages through UPS. I work at a business that ships vinyl decals all over the country via UPS, and they're never reported as damaged. We use tubes and styrofoam peanuts.

But cardboard tubes =/= musical instrument boxes. I sold a snare drum to a guy on the other side of the country, and it arrived undamaged. I packed it pretty well with some soft foam from the guys next door, who buy a lot of surplus computer parts. That foam seems to be the perfect amount of cushion and stability, and I'd definitely recommend using it.

As for tubes, I'd definitely take them out and package them individually. They're the most fragile part of the amp, and should have special attention paid to them.

My two cents.

I often wonder if it's not a regional thing. Maybe it depends on which hub your UPS package passes through.

The UPS guys here are pretty decent. Other than the fact that the delivery guy hits on my wife every time he comes out. :lol: Should have taken the advice on another thread and found an ugly one! :lol:

I've used UPS for ten years or so and have never had to make a claim on anything I've shipped or rec'd (knock on wood). Must just be luck of the draw.

MrMarkIII said:
All my delivery guys are ugly. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've used UPS for ten years or so and have never had to make a claim on anything I've shipped or rec'd (knock on wood). Must just be luck of the draw.

That's why I whole heartedly believe it is a regional thing. There must be a few sorting centers that have the American Tourister Gorrilla working for them. :lol:

Latest posts

Back