A little help deciding a wah pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douchehound

Reaction score
Hey guys Im thinking about buying a wah pedal and Im leaning towards either the dunlop 535Q or the crybaby slash wah. If anybody have either of these pedals and would like to give me their input i would much apprieciate it. Thanks

Mine is crybaby from hell !
I ll never changed for any other wah.
Its unbelievable.
Strong.
And it is a booster too.I didnt like darrel s tone but his wah is amazing !
try it you ll be shocked

I own the variable Q wah. It is a quality pedal, very versatile. There's a contour/frequency "Q" control and 20db boost control dials on the bottom. Then a frequency range selector on the side.
I can't vouch for the Slash wah, but I've been very happy with mine over the years.

The Crybabies are great sounding wah. I went with the Morley as they use electro-optical circuitry which means no noisy pots down the track. At the end of the day, these are both fantastic wahs.

Ciao ...

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe.

Switch for three sweep ranges (Shaft, Jimi, Wacked), gain control (volume when engaged). True bypass. Also has pots inside that can be tweaked.

Its like a Vox on steroids.

For the high gain stuff you cant beat a Tremonti, it shuts itself down and has such a wide aggressive sweep. Im not a fan, but after hearing some of our reahersals played back i actually said, "listen to that wah" it really stood out.

Another vote for the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. Tons of usable sounds in that one.

I have the 535Q also........
I had it once before and when I went through a phase of selling all of my gear, like a dumbass, I sold that too.
So now I'm on my second 535Q.....
I had to buy another one...

I just bought a 70s Thomas Organ wah for about the price of a new Dunlop original crybaby. Best kept secret out there!

I did 3 simple mods to it - the vocal, volume increase, and true bypass. It was already great as is and this puts it way over the top!

I own the Dunlop 535Q with the Fasal inductor. Great wah, I love being able to adjust it's sweep, variable "Q" and boost, it's very nice for the price, and it is also pretty rugged.

-AJH

Another vote for the Fulltone Deluxe. I just got mine and it is worth the extra $$. I have an old Crybaby and I always thought there wasn't much difference....well, I was wrong. The Fulltone has a wide sweep and stays clear throughout the range...nice stuff.

Well, whatever you get, I recommend true bypass. If it doesn't have this, buy a DPDT footswitch and install it yourself.

With my Vox 847 I measured more than 3 db of treble rolloff above 4 kHz with the thing inserted in my effects chain. This is major "tone suck" and I could hear it as loss of highs when "off."

True bypass effectively pulls the pedal out of the chain, except for a little bit of loss from the jack contacts and any loss from additional cable you add from the wah to the amp.

I recently was on a quest for a wah. I almost went for a Morley Bad Horsie II. Very nice pedal, but in the end, my "vintage" likes inspired me to get a HBE "Medicine Bawl" wah with the yellow Fasel inductor. I am very happy with it. You can do some fine tuning with the trim pots on the inside and you can do what some 40 year old geezers used to do with our old cry baby's (move the driver bar on the teeth of the pot) to adjust the sweep. It has true bypass and it built like a tank. Give it a try...

I second the morley tremonti power wah.....like said, it is just amazing, especially when paired with a recto.

Check into what you like about the sound of the wah that is in the tone that you are looking for. Then decide what kind of sweep you want and if you want Q control. Personally, I like a Fasal inducted wah with True Bypass. I too found that the Vox was a tone suck but if you get used to it being in your path then you work around it and with it. The Vox truly is a classic wah. The Thomas Organ wah is another nice wah but is also in need of improvement as was noted above. If you can find an old tube organ that had one that is cheap enough then just buy it. You will be able to use the wah, possibly the tubes, and have plenty of parts to sell of or use as trade stock. Some even had Leslie speaker assemblies in them. Many had tube tremolo and percussion preamps. These are great for some homebrew effects and amps. The main amps in the old tube organs can be a blessing in disguie if you want to build a homebrew guitar amp because most of the parts are already there and assembled for you. This is if you are of the DIY crowd. Many of the DIY amps that are built on organ chassis sound phenomenal (I am thinking it is because organs often had huge trannies). If nothing else you get nice vintage replacement trannies. I have personally dismantled a half dozen tube organs and have not once regretted it. I always came away with at least the tube complement, speakers, pedal, and amp parts. The trick is finding one that suits your needs that is worth the $ that you are spending on it.

Latest posts

Back