A different way of asking the same question.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
What is a Mark IV good for? Musically, that is. I'm struggling to try one out, but no stores ever carry them. Well, GC used to have them, but not since I've been looking. I'm a diverse player, but nfigure my sounds range from Gn'R to some modern metal sounds. Even lighter stuff, but it's more about the gain side of things that I'm concerned about. Can it handle classic and modern sounds? Does it have solid distortion? Is it flubby on the bottom end? Too many questions, not enough heads to test out..... :(

tight metal sounds are a'plenty in the mark iv. the cleans are quite good too. it doesn't do "marshall" quite like a marshall, but you can probably get a reasonable aproximation of most tones that anyone would want. (well maby not the super voxish tones, but nothing's perfect)

Well, if we mess around with any GnR type tunes, they're currently going through my recto. I can only assume a Mark would do better. Perhaps it's just the way the clips are being recorded, but the Mark IV to me just doesn't sound so great. That goes for the Stiletto, too. Actually, I may be making my way back to GC to re-test a Stiletto I was messing with a month or two ago. I don't think a Stiletto can handle the modern sound, and I can't avoid it due to the kind of music my band is palying. But the Mark, well I have issues with the excessive amount of knobs, switches, push-pulls, modes, etc. I feel like that if I'm constantly feeling the need to tweak my recto's sound, the Mark is going to be an even bigger nightmare. I have to admit, if I had the cash, a Diezel VH4 would be just what the doctor ordered. I got to test one at GC and fell in love immediately.

John Petrucci uses a mark. Lamb of God uses marks also. Chevelle uses marks for that detuned stuff. The Mark IV is the tightest metal tone out there. But do not sell it short, it is a very versatile amp. The mark series is great.

OK, how about a different angle: a lot of hard rocl and metal artists have used Marshall amps. Supposedly the Stiletto is a Marshall-killer according to some board members. Woould it be safe to assume that a Stiletto can handle metal? I mean, say I crank into something like A7X's Bat Country. Would a Stiletto handle something like this? Or any modern sounds in general?

I think the Stiletto can definitely do modern metal no problem.. the fluid drive mode was born to do it.

A lot of it depends on your guitar though.. if I play my vintage les paul through it, it gives me zeppelin/sabbath type tones. If I play a guitar with EMG's in it instead, it's a totally different ballgame.

I'm going to take a Stiletto Ace home for a week and try it out so that I can get a really good feel for the amp along side my MKIV. I also want to try it hooked up to my thiele live with a band.

Jak0lantern01 said:
OK, how about a different angle: a lot of hard rocl and metal artists have used Marshall amps. Supposedly the Stiletto is a Marshall-killer according to some board members. Woould it be safe to assume that a Stiletto can handle metal? I mean, say I crank into something like A7X's Bat Country. Would a Stiletto handle something like this? Or any modern sounds in general?

I think either the Stiletto or the Mark IV will fit your needs... what it comes down to is plu-and-play-ability...... i had a Mark IV long head for a few years...... great sounding amp.... can get as heavy as a recto just without the ultra saturation.... not knocking the rectos i'm just trying to point out its different than a recto heavy ...... the cleans are great and very musically... nice and chimey especially with a little reverb.... my only issue was with the 2nd channel because i could never get it to fit right due to some of the shared controls with channel 1..... my first priority was to find a good clean... once that was dialed in i felt channel 2 was comprimised... it took me about 6 months to finally find the right balance and even then there were comprimises.....that was the main reason i went to the triaxis after the mark... same tones with more flexibility and paired with the 2:90 i could get a more recto-like tone if need be.... plus i found the controls a little more intutive which the mark's definitely aren't...

The stiletto on the other hand was the exact opposite experience as the Mark..... i tried a Duece stage II a couple of months ago and within minutes of fiddling i was in the pocket...... i've never liked marshalls but have always appreciated the tones of the el34.... i too fell in love with the VH4 and also an ENGL SE ...... both have that hot rodded el34 tone.... i think while the Stiletto is still different than a VH4 or a ENGL SE, it lies more in that territory than a straight up marshall..... it can do brutal heavy as well as very creamy leads, and airy cleans..... the best part is that it has its own sound... it doesnt sound like a marshall clone or a diezel clone.... it sounds like a Boogie that is built on the el34 platform instead of the 6l6 platform......

still both are incredible amps and i dont think there is a wrong decision in this situation...... if your looking for a plug and play you best choice of the two is probably the stiletto...... have you considered a Triaxis pre paired with a 2:90 power amp?

hey if you want to hear a good representation of an "unprocessed" mark iv sound check out this guy on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Enc3f4L0

what i meant by unprocessed is that its a pretty raw tone that hasnt been touched up by eqs and compressors.... he does has a gmajor running for some delay i believe but none the less shows the sheer beauty of the mark ivs leads.... he really nailed the petrucci tone

Platypus said:
I think the Stiletto can definitely do modern metal no problem.. the fluid drive mode was born to do it.

A lot of it depends on your guitar though.. if I play my vintage les paul through it, it gives me zeppelin/sabbath type tones. If I play a guitar with EMG's in it instead, it's a totally different ballgame.

+1 on the Stiletto -- What an awesome amp...as is the Mark IV....that's why I have both; why settle :?: :lol:

I don't really like how they sound for modern tones. LoG and Chevelle have very weak live tones IMO. Their cd tones are pretty good, but still have a slight vintage twang to them that I don't like.

Find your favorite guitarist(s) and discover what makes their sound. Find something similar. Only experience with different gear will you find exactly what you're looking for.

JAZZGEAR said:
Platypus said:

+1 on the Stiletto -- What an awesome amp...as is the Mark IV....that's why I have both; why settle :?: :lol:

Ditto 8)

Latest posts

Back