a decent high gain amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oacikgoz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a decent high-gain amp possibly british voiced with the following properties.

30-50 watts
with reverb
under $2000
and boutique quality sound...
and possibly an effects loop...

what's the best amp you know with these properties. Why is it so difficult to find this combination!!! :) Orange Rocker is very good but it does not have reverb and effects loop, and I think I'd prefer a higher gain amp like Rockerverb 50. I prefer a 30 watt amp with a decent tone than a 50 watt amp with a mediocre sound...

For your information I play a Fender Strat 1996 HSS with floyd rose bridge and Dimarzio Paf PRO humbucker in the bridge... So it better be an amp that loves strats...

Thanks a lot.

umm .. Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 .. reverb/effects loop.

nice clean, true marshall crunch, and with an EQ in the loop .. boosted with an sd-1, the high gain channel is VERY nice.

but it is a Head, so ya need a cab.

600$ used

Have you tried a Mesa/Boogie DC-5?
I own the DC-5 and have played Orange's Rockverb 50.
They sound kind of the same IMO.
ANd their features are quite the same , 2 independent channels , reverb , but DC-5 have a parallel fx loop.
You can give DC-5 a try , maybe you'll like it.

Rectoverb Combo. Great cleans with the open back C90.

Great distortion from "mild" high gain in the raw, smooth in "vintage," and classic recto slam in Modern.

If you like the Rockerverb 50, the ROV is for you.

Add a 2x12 rectifier cab and you add to the tonal pallet. Reverb is so-so IMO.

+ you can run EL34's or 6L6's

If you are asking here maybe you are in the market for a Boogie? There is also a nice sounding 30 watt amp here. with mp3 sound clips. It comes in a head, 1X12 or 2X12 combination.

http://www.bogneramplification.com/MetropolisInfo.htm

Have Fun.

Dave~

Stiletto Deuce Stage II
Stiletto 2X12

clutch71 said:
Rectoverb Combo. Great cleans with the open back C90.

Great distortion from "mild" high gain in the raw, smooth in "vintage," and classic recto slam in Modern.

If you like the Rockerverb 50, the ROV is for you.

Add a 2x12 rectifier cab and you add to the tonal pallet. Reverb is so-so IMO.

+ you can run EL34's or 6L6's

+1, but I like the reverb. :) I'm able to dial in some searing, sustaining, soulful lead sounds too. IMO, this amp covers a lot of ground and is a bargain at $1,199 new.

All good suggestions so far. Depending on your definition of high gain, you might want to try a Maverick. Has all the other features, GREAT clean channel and the gain channel will go well past overdrive into full on distortion. It won't get "Brutal" though, then again I have never plugged in a 4-12 - not my thing.

Go for a VHT Pitbull Super Thirty Combo, Pitbull 45 combo, or even the Pitbull 50 combo...... the super 30 comes with reverb stock and the other two can have it added..... all these amps are tone machines and have a top quality build..... they can go from super clean to completely outright brutal especially if you add the graphic eq to the 50...... for under $2000 these are the way to go hands down for what your looking for.... also you may want to consider a slightly used Mesa Roadster.... different than the VHTs but equally as brutal and the reverb is awesome

Mark IV is the best. There isn't another boogie amp that comes close...except maybe a road king. The gain is insane, the clean is sparkling. It comes to a little under $2000. If you don't want to spend that much try looking at a dual rectifier. Or, for even less money, look at a single rectifier. You can't go wrong with any of those!!!

Stilleto may be the way to go.

Amp reverbs are not that great usually anyway. If i were you i would get the stilleto and chuck a Holy Grail reverb through the loop

Latest posts

Back