'93 Dual Rec just arrived !!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderMonkey

Reaction score
My '93 Dual Rectifier 2 channel chrome chassis/black diamond plate (with series loop) just arrived today! I'm like a little kid at x-mas as she sounds really, really f#!%in' awesome !!
She replaced my great 2 channel DR black/polished with (parallel loop)

I unpack it, no damage, fairly clean, very cool.

Plugged her in after a nice cleanup/wipedown job. Let it warm up nice.
Turned it on and up and buzzzzzzzzzzzz. What the....??
Turned it off....
Immediately replaced the crap (buzzy/noisy!!!) EH 12ax7's the guy had in it with my preamp rig which consists of:
(V1-V5) Mesa SPAX7, mesa 12ax7, JJ12ax7, MesaSPAX7 (loop), GT-ECC83(phase inverter).
Turned her back on and up... and...aaaaaaahhhhh, sweetness, no buzz !
I knew I would do this, I was just curious to hear those EH pre's...bleghghhh, no wonder curiousity killed the cat.

I've been running Ruby Tubes EL34 bstr's lately and lovin' 'em but this '93 came with winged C Svetlana 6L6's, very nice.... not tubby at all.

It looks to have the original BIG (bigger than usual) Coke bottle 5U4's
they sound really good with tube rectifier mode and spongy, slight power drop but very big and warm.

OK, I turn it back to my usual bold and diode rectifier setting, set the (one knob) series loop level to 5 =unity gain.

Orange channel, clean mode
Red channel, normal, middle slot

Start off tweeking the Eq and realize that they are MUCH more responsive than my '97.
Clean orange channel gain set to 9-9:30, master to 11:30
Red channel gain set to 3:00, master to 11:00
Turn up LOOP ACTIVE MASTER and bam, chug, aaahhhh.
Nice cleans contrary to what I've heard I would get and Red crunch is excellent, tight, crisp and still warm !
I'm lovin' this head.

I noticed the Output Transformer is different and I'm guessing that's why it sounds SO good.

Serial# is R 001109, post 500 DR but still sounds and Eq's better than my '97. go figure.

Very happy as it sounds really awesome :D

* my next head is going to be Mark IV to run stereo)

Comments Welcome !!!

Open her up and check the date and the Rev #. So that we have a reference point for the registry ned said he would make.

Thats awesome! Im glad your happy with it. I've got something in the works now for a pre500 chrome, but its not the one thats on ebay now. That one seemed a little to risky to me. You'll have to get some clips of it up and running soon!

Johnson said:
Thats awesome! Im glad your happy with it. I've got something in the works now for a pre500 chrome, but its not the one thats on ebay now. That one seemed a little to risky to me. You'll have to get some clips of it up and running soon!

Thanks man, still smilin'. Just discovered how "brown" the orange channel high gain mode is, very nice midrange lead tones that cut through in there. I'm just diggin' this amp.
It's a trip how much more usable the EQ settings/presence are on this thing, much more than even my '97.

Yeah, unless you have the time, patience, and $ to muck with that fuseblowing deal... get a running horse.

I lucked out with this one ! :wink:

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow guys, gettin' kinda late as I've been drooling all over this thing all night, wipe..wipe..

VoodooChild24 said:
Post pics please.

That's a nice set of amp rigs you have ! What cabs are you runnin?

I'm still playin' and lovin the tone on this thing, can't stop. I'll try to get pics up before the end of the weekend !
She's really clean (NO RUST) for being over 14 years old :D

Rock On !!!

ThunderMonkey said:
VoodooChild24 said:
Post pics please.

That's a nice set of amp rigs you have ! What cabs are you runnin?

I'm still playin' and lovin the tone on this thing, can't stop. I'll try to get pics up before the end of the weekend !
She's really clean (NO RUST) for being over 14 years old :D

Rock On !!!

I am running my amp through a standard 2x12 V30s. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back