'80's BOSS DD3s worth more?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIgh Gain Junkie

Reaction score
I have an older BOSS DD3 that I bought new in the mid eighties that I was thinking about selling and I was wondering if the older ones are worth more money? I don't want to sell it for $75 or so if it is worth more than that but I have never really looked into older delay pedals and what they are selling for. Anyone out there know? Lastly, where is the serial # located? I'd look at it right now to find it but it's sitting in my rehearsal room right now.

Thanks

Don't think so, but can't swear to it....
If Boss makes a significant change in a model, the model name or number generally change with it, regardless of the time it was made...

A couple months ago I bought a new DD3 with the AC adapter, PSA 120, for $109 for both, so even $75 is a bit high IMO.
But get whatever you can, someone may find it a good deal.
Good luck! :)

The serial number is in the battery compartment.
Some older DD-3s have a larger, postage stamp-sized chip, similar to the older DD-2. These are supposed to sound "better".
From the Boss Area site:

"The early DD-3 is the same pedal as the DD-2. Because of the price drop on DRAM in 1986 it was possible to produce the pedal much cheaper. Dropping the price didn't look so good so it was decided to re-release the DD-2 under the name DD-3 instead. The front of the pedal got a face lift with the re-release.

Version differences
There are 3 main versions of the DD-3. The first version was released 1986 but it was redisigned with a new DSP gate array chip December 1990. The new version was called DD-3A. The DC socket was at the same time replaced with the smaller PCB mounted type and this can be used to identify the version. The design change happened before production was moved from Japan to Taiwan so all DD-3s made in Taiwan are DD-3A or DD-3B versions. The latest version of the DD-3 was introduced August 2001 and is called DD-3B. The DD-3B uses a new type of DRAM as well as surface mounted components. The PCB layout is therefore radically changed compared to the DD-3A."

DD-3
Approx. Serial: 690000 - NC09999
Marking of PCB: 2291088702
Adaptor jack: Large Hosiden
Main Controller: Roland RDD63H101
DRAM: HM4864P-3, M5K4164ANP or MSM3764-20RS

DD-3A
Serial ZC10000 - SO91199
Marking of PCB: 2292098400
Adaptor jack: small PCB Mounted
Main Controller: MN51010RBA
DRAM: M5M4464-L12

DD-3B
Serial SO91200 - present
Marking of PCB: 75D563P000
Adaptor jack: small PCB Mounted
Main Controller: MN51010RBA BOS-008
DRAM: M11B416256A-35J(T)

Whatever. YMMV. :D

Old BF Shred said:
So have you noticed significant used price variations in these versions? Now you got me wondering! :lol:

I will say, my 2009 DD3 works quite well! I'll be keeping mine! :D
I have seen a few sales here and there where the seller mentions that his pedal is "the more sought after" Japanese made pedal and therefore he is selling it for more than normal. I think I have seen people asking $125+ for them, but who knows if they ended up getting that much for it. It is a great pedal that has served me well for 25 years but I'm getting an Eventide TimeFactor so I was thinking about selling either my DD3 or my DD6, and maybe the DD3 would bring in more cash?

Back