7 String vs. Baritone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

The rig is going through a complete overhaul, so be expecting some awesome new tone reports and pics!

In the mean time, I'm looking for an axe to handle my WAY downtuned needs, ala Chevelle and Dream Theater.

So, I'm debating between a 7 string and baritone. What are the main differences? Is one superior to the other for the task?

On the 7 string side, I'm looking at the Schecter Hellraiser or Schecter C-7 Blackjack. I LOVE the looks and playability of the hellraiser, but can't decide whether EMGs are the right thing for me. Till now, I have always been a passive pup guy, but then again, for the way low tuned fury, maybe EMGs would be a nice change. I'm worried about passive pups holding up well in the low tunings....it's doable, obviously, ala both petrucci and Chevelle, but what about the Blackjack? Will the passive pups hold up well in the low tuning? If I go with the C-7, I would probably swap about the Duncans, but I have yet to decide that.

For the 7 string, I like the idea that I basically have all the fretboard and notes of a 6 string when I don't need the 7th....seems like I have WAY more options this way.

Then, I stumbled upon the Schecter Baritone guitar....also an option....here I get the playability of a 6 string with the low notes.....

Are there any other brands of models I should be considering for either?

Any and all your opinions would be really helpful here!

well basically most of the heavy stuff on the later DT albums is a baritone 6 string, defo the case for 6DOIT and Octavarium. There is some 7 string on there as well but i remember Petrucci saying he used the baritone as opposed to a normal 6 string due the the extra scale length which prevents the strings going wobbly when you tune down. Basically you get the 7 string tuning in 6 strings minus the high E whilst keeping the tension pretty much the same as a normal 6 string tuned standard

I dont know much else im afraid other than that i have an ibanez tuned down to C (as i am tuning) but due to the tension prob i have 12s on it which makes it pretty nasty for soloing

On a 7 string you have a relatively short heavy string at the bottom. If you strike it with any vigor the weight of the string is sufficient to overcome the low tension and stretch the string sharp. It will then drop down to the true pitch over time. There are two ways to overcome this pervasively annoying attribute. One is to use restraint when plucking the 7th string (Rock on Tinkerbelle!) and the other is to extend the scale length. Go back and play the 7 string and the baritone again with this in mind. You should find that the baritone plays in much better tune than the 7 string unless you have a very light touch. JMHO!

In the case of the schecters, both the 7 string and baritone have an extended scale (26.5")...so that should be a problem.

I think the only difference will be the extra string. I only use 7 strings now because I love the way they feel, and even if I play a set where the 7th string isn't needed, I can always tune it down to A and get some heavy sounding 4 string power chords. I also use the drop A tuning for normally tuned drop D songs and don't need to change guitars through a set, just adjust fingerings throughout. I love the feel of the schecter necks, just so big and beefy, but fast at the same time.

i hear that that JP is having a ebmm baritone made for him which should be on sale at some point.

Personally i hope its true, i really dont like playing 7 strings, it doesnt feel right when soloing.

My vote is a 7 string. I love playing them, and want to get one soon, and start using it with my band. They are fun to play, and the feel is very comfortable. I prefer Ibanez over Schecter a little bit, because of neck thickness, but the C-7 Hellraiser is the best all around guitar in my opinion, i just wish they made one with a floyd on it. I played one through a Single recto at Guitar Center recently and it sounded great. The EMG 81-7 in the bridge sounded brutal, and the good thing about this guitar is they're factory installed, so you don't have to get it routed to accommodate the bass pickup housing. (this is if you like EMG's of course, and I do)

-AJH

either way your gonna have to get comfotable with the instument. i went through this 5 or 6 months ago, and settled on the 7 string. i was in a band that tuned to A. and i never liked the beating it took with the super heavy strings needed. after that band dissapated i went serarching for a tuning that suited "ME" that was "E" flat. i wrote many parts that way but had a part of my brain that wanted some low stuff to change it up a bit. i tried baratones, 7 strings, 7 string baratones, and a regular 6 string tuned down. for my situation a 7 string Ibanez did everything i needed. it had my old (E flat) tuning plus the low B flat to write ultra heavy riffs. and now i play songs in both tunings. thats what "I" needed.

Latest posts

Back