6V6's in Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twally

Reaction score
OK,
I have read where folks replace their 6L6's with 6V6's and loved the sound. How is the clean channel with these? How about the Lead Channel? I am considering this, but am also thinking about a Lone Star. Yeah, that's another Post.
Oh Well,

Thanks,

TW

The clean channel with the 6V6's on the MKIV are delicious sounding (think Eric Johnsosn), but I can only guess that the LSC will give you more tonal options due to the tube rectifier option and the ability to switch the reverb from bright to warm. For the kind of classic rock/jazz fusion that I play, the MKIV sounds perfect. There is plenty of head room as the 6v6's in pentode/simulclass in the tweed setting is about 37-40 watts.

If you are going for Petrucci/Chevelle/Lamb of God tones, the 6V6's won't do well.

The clean channel is superb with 6V6s.

However I didn't care much for the R2 or Lead channels. I don't care for a heavily overdriven sound, and I could never quite dial in the sound I was looking for in the r2 or lead channels. I ended up using an OCD pedal with the r2 for overdrive.

On the other hand, I've just recently put in some 5881s. These sound great. Basically just a bit more "vintage" tone than the 6L6s. Exactly what I was looking for, which is a lot of control of the overdrive. Basically I like to play a lot of 7th, 9th, and 13th chords, which can get muddy with a lot of distortion. So I'm able to dial in just the right amount with the 5881s on r2 where I can roll off the guitar's volume to play chords, but turning up the volume really makes the guitar sing.

- Jason

Back