6V6's In A Mark 1 Reissue Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesician

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going back to using JJ 6V6's in my Mark 1 Reissue combo...

Although the manual states that you should set the power switch to `Tweed' when doing this I've also read about how Mesa's bias is set cold and tubes should run hotter in order to gain the best performance.

Anybody have any experience with this or using 6V6's in a Mark 1 Reissue combo is welcome.

Thanks

Eddie from Eurotubes had some good advice. I'll post his response here for everyone who uses this configuration.

Hi Mark,

The tweed setting does indeed drop the plate voltage. We haven't had chance to measure the plate voltage with a set of 6V6's running in bold mode but my guess would be that the plate voltage would be too high (really close to 500V).

Thanks,

Eddie

Hello Eurotubes,

I was reading the articles on your website concerning Mesa amps and the JJ 6V6 tubes with great interest. I have a question. I own a Mark 1 reissue combo. With this amp I'm able to use a variety of different tubes (6L6, 6V6, EL34). A few years ago I used a quartet of JJ 6V6 tubes (40 watts) and I really liked the tone. I'm thinking of going back to that configuration but my owners manual says I should run the amp in this configuration in `Tweed' mode. I believe this is to lower the voltage to the 6V6's to keep them from burning out prematurely. However, I was wondering if I could run it in `Bold' configuration...full voltage...in order get better tone? I've read how robust the JJ 6V6's are and I was just interested in your opinion.

Thanks very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Mark Gilbert

Latest posts

Back