6V6 Tubes With Lonestar? Anybody Doing This?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSCMan

Reaction score
Have any of you guys tried this? I saw some guys over at the Gear Page talking about using 6V6's in their Mark IV's saying how great it sounded.
I have a Dr. Z Z28 that uses 6V6 and it sounds so sweet, but it's not real loud. I would love to try the LSC with 4 of these, the Z28 only uses 2.

I would call Mesa and ask if the plate voltage goes low enough in the spongy setting to accomodate these tubes. And yes, I am one of those who loves 6V6's in my MKIV

From Page 14 of the Lonestar user manual:

NOTE: It is possible to run the smaller octal 6V6 power tubes for reduced power applications and a looser bubblier sound in the
TWEED AC POWER SETTING ONLY. Leave the BIAS SELECT switch set to 6L6 (switch down) and install four 6V6 power tubes. It
is advisable to use both Channels set to the 100 watt setting for reliability and proper impedance matching.

Do not run 6V6 in the normal POWER ON setting as they cannot handle the higher AC voltage and could fail and damage internal
components! When using these tubes, move the 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm SPEAKER OUTPUT jack. This will reduce strain on the
tubes and produce the best sonic response.

ursinus said:
I would call Mesa and ask if the plate voltage goes low enough in the spongy setting to accomodate these tubes. And yes, I am one of those who loves 6V6's in my MKIV
Hey ursinus, what kind of volume are you getting with that setup? Still plenty loud?
I love the way those 6V6's sound, so sparkly!

Plenty loud! I played a jam session with two other guitarists, bass player and a drummer and I had to turn down because I was still blasting them. This was with my combo only. I didn't bring my rack or thiele cabs. We did record the session and when I get a chance to edit, I will post some clips. You should still get about 40 watts out of your LSC with the 6V6's

Yeah, I have been slaving my Maverick into the low input of my modded Fender Musicmaster Bass amp. 12 watts of 6v6 power. It's hard to describe, but, I always run the two together. Never solo. It's like a Maverick running like a Blue Angel.

Latest posts

Back