6V6 power tubes (DC-5)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cossack

Reaction score
I noticed the power tube switch in my DC-5 for 6L6 vs. 6V6 tubes. What change would I see if I were to try out 6V6s? Slightly lower output? Any significant tone coloring?

On the side, I found some ancient RCA 6F6GT tubes in a giant old wooden radio set that my wife has had for years (long since dead as a radio, now a pretty piece of furniture). After reading that they were somewhat similar to 6V6 tubes, i stuck them in the Boogie with the switch on 6V6. Ran hot, but with a clear, pleasant clean tone. Pulled 'em out quickly, so as not to damage anything. Anyhow, that has me wondering about 6V6s . . .

Cossack said:
I noticed the power tube switch in my DC-5 for 6L6 vs. 6V6 tubes. What change would I see if I were to try out 6V6s? Slightly lower output? Any significant tone coloring?

On the side, I found some ancient RCA 6F6GT tubes in a giant old wooden radio set that my wife has had for years (long since dead as a radio, now a pretty piece of furniture). After reading that they were somewhat similar to 6V6 tubes, i stuck them in the Boogie with the switch on 6V6. Ran hot, but with a clear, pleasant clean tone. Pulled 'em out quickly, so as not to damage anything. Anyhow, that has me wondering about 6V6s . . .

Umm, what power tube switch would that be?

Can you post a picture? Your amp shouldn't have that switch unless it's been modified.
I would say that your best bet is to actually have a bias pot installed and not trust the switch.
I would also test those old tubes and make sure they are still good on a tester, not in your amp.

As for the cross reference, I do not know. There are plenty of guys like the Tube Amp Doctor though that should have that information posted on their sites.

Pics of the inside of the chassis (after it's been off and unplugged for about an hour) would really help!

The 6F6s won't be going back in, that was just impatient curiosity.

Maybe I'll contact M/B and see if they know anything about this, then. But I'll try to get inside the chassis sometime soon and get a shot of the guts.

Here's a sot of the switch from the outside. Being the only DC-5 I've ever gotten to know, I assumed everybody's were like this!
PowerTubeSwitchDC5.jpg

That is definitely an add on. You can see the scratch in the paint from the installation.
I've never seen this on a DC-5 although it is very possible and easy to do.

I would not even bother Mesa with it, they will not know unless they were to look at it.

If you have a good tech in your area, take the amp to him with a set of both tube types. He should be able to tell you exactly what the bias range is for both switch settings, and whether or not it is working correctly.

Wow......i have owned a DC-5 for a long time and never have i seen one with a switch like that. kinda a cool mod I guess. GL in your quest

Back