6v6 in lone star classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optoguitar

Reaction score
being a former jim kelley owner, i'd love to hear from anyone that's actually tried this.
my amp is hung up in the fed ex system, its not here yet![/i]

I tried the el34's in mine, but the bias switch was bad and it burnt up 2 resisrors! Make sure that red light is on. :shock:

Guitar55 said:
Yes. The LSC can take 6L6's, 6v6's or EL84's.
Thats not exactly correct. Out of the box the LSC can only take 6L6's, 6V6's, and EL34's. The only way that the LSC can accept EL84's is to get adapters such as the Yellow Jackets from THD.

The manual says if you use 6V6's it should be in 50W mode. Does that mean you only need 2 of them (for tube positions 1 and 4)?

6V6s have a much lower current tolerance than 6L6s. Thus if the amp is in 50w mode, then you will not blow up the tubes. 6v6s will not sound the same as 6L6s. they will be a cleaner tube, but they don't sound that great when pushed, think silverface champ. a little break up sounds good, but too much makes them flabby, and noisey.

give em a go, you may like it, if not you can just switch back.

Mesa told me you should expect to get 40W out of 6v6's in an LSC. I would think it would sound more like a beffed-up Deluxe Reverb.

i'm pretty sure i read that the "tweed" switch should be set to the low power setting for 6V6's.

boogiemon said:
i'm pretty sure i read that the "tweed" switch should be set to the low power setting for 6V6's.

Yup, read over this part last night (while in the bathroom where I continually re-read the manual :lol: ) and it said 50W & Tweed.

Back