6L6'd only in Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellowtronic

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my Mark III blue stripe. Has simul class. I like running it Class A a lot for this latest project I'm working in. However, I was wondering if I can throw 6L6's in place of the El34's, so as to run 4 6L6's while running simul class, and 6L6's while running Class A.

Awesome. I'm glad no one started flaming me for only wanting to use 6L6's. El 34's are cool, but they just don't have that round bottom end clarity I seek.

Depending on what mood I'm in, I often run 4 6L6's. As you say, they have a smother bottom end. Sometimes I just want that EL34 sound so I just change it. That's the beauty of these incredible amps, very versatile.

I also have a Mark III blue stripe and I think I'm going back to four 6L6s. I am having a hard time getting a clean that I like with EL34s in the outside sockets.

Yes! There's something very Fender Ice Pick about the El34's. It's not as harsh, but it does not have that fat fat clean I've gotten from my other Mesa's using 6L6's only.

How does this work without hurting the amp?
isn't the plate voltage on an EL34 different from a 6L6?
I'm running El34's in the outer pair of mine, and I'd like to try all 6L6's but I'm horrified that I will damage my baby. :D
can someone please explain this to me (it seems like a very cool feature).

kmanick said:
How does this work without hurting the amp?

you won't hurt the amp, but you may fry your 6L6s in the outer class A sockets. Mesa specifies only EL34's in the outer sockets because of tube reliability issues. Read about it in your manual....

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

I saw that that's why I'm asking, I've seen other members on here state tey are running all 6l6"s???
I don't get it.

the plate voltage of the outer and inner tube pairs is about the same (within a couple of volts)....the outer tubes run a lower negative bias voltage which pushes the tube into class A operation

Latest posts

Back