65 Fender Twin Reverb Experts I need Your Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
65 Fender Twin Reverb Experts I need Your Help
Hi
I was @ my local music store and noticed an original 65 fender twin reverb amp (not the re issue the real McCoy). The head was pulled out of the cabinet and lying on a bar stool. I ask the owner what was wrong with the amp. He said that he took it in on a trade and it quit working shortly after. He said that the transformer was bad. I ask him if he wanted to sell it. He replied saying that it doesn’t work. I said that's ok so what would you take for it. He replied $500 so you fender experts would it be worth it too fix up or should I forget a bout it? The cabines look good just dusty and had the original 65 Jensen speakers still in the cabinet and it was missing one of the knobs on the head

I haven't watched Ebay in a while, but I think they were going for $1500-2000. If it's in nice shape it's worth $500 all day long. It probably needs the caps changed along with the transformer if it is in fact bad and maybe some tubes. $300-400 and you'll have a killer amp.
Jerry

Aw its shot to hell, don't even think about restoring it. It's not worth much ...

By the way, can you e-mail where you saw this Fender Twin and if give me any information about this shop. Don't get the impression I'm going to phone and make a bid pre-paid shipping fee or anything ... :wink:

Seriously, that Twin could be rebuild and restore. Although I'm not sure after rebuilding it would command a market price of an authentic untouched Fender Twin.

The price of $500 is about the going rate. I seen a modified '65 Twin working but had a bad hum for $595. And there's some '65 Fender Twin that are semi-PreCBS [sic?], in other words there was a design change but many guitarists did not like the new change so it was changed back.

But even though, there's some guitar amp repair shop, that could restore the Twin.

Well it looks good I would really like to restore it if it’s worth it? I really believe it's worth $500 but how much to fix it and maybe put some new alnico speaker and new tubs I would say it would rock. I think that with some barding I can get it for 350 or 400 bucks but it might take awhile for him to give in

If you can get it at $350 then yeah, jump. You can sell the parts for that.

But, is it a OT, INPut, or something else? Great deal for those who can work on a amp, but to pay a tech $50 an hour to look, hunt, order parts, and rebuild.... I don't know.

In all it sounds risky.

Yes, like asattwanger said, $50 / hour for a tech, (its a bit more at my location, Bay Area) assumming what's wrong with it. And it will take some investment to get it running.

JerryFJA's $300-$400, seems like a good quote.

For me, it would not be risky since I probably could do some home evaluation. But like awattwanger said, you have to do the research and the leg work to see if its worth your time and effort.

As far as tone, well this is a Boogie dominated site, but I will say, Twin's Cleans up to the mild breakup, to me, is one of the corner stone of Rock 'n' Roll!

O-without a doubt on the tone.....

Not sure if your into country players or not, but Junior Brown smokes his twins. So, if any one is not sure what a twin sounds like when it's on edge. All you have to do is look at the links below.

This one is a smoker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46mSiLRjws

This one is pretty and sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JZfhp6jZ-c

And this one nasty and smokin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzJWFFTwNM

I love Jr brown I really believe that he's maybe one of the best living guitar players livening today. As far as tech fee I have a guy @ work is a great tech guy and can fix anything and do all so I’m going to talk to him and see if he would look @ it. I believe I’m going to get this. Even the cabinet I believe would sell for $500 on eBay as is. I think these amps are only going to go up in price.

You should snach it right up especially if he'll even come down some. The 65 Jenson speakers could fetch a hundred each easily. There are plenty of places where one can get hold old Fender parts even trannys for less that you'd think.

woody said:
I love Jr brown I really believe that he's maybe one of the best living guitar players livening today.
His six string playing alone is very hot. Clearly able to play any type of shredding, but combine that with his lap steel work. This is what really puts him beyond alot of other players.

[/img]

Latest posts

Back