.50 Caliber Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned one of these, but I just won it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260240935971&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

I figured, $425 isn't bad.

I have some questions though, for the experts who have them.

I'm guessing this is an early one since it has the plastic switches?

Is the Reverb Tank inside the chassis? I think I can see something in the grooves in the back of the chassis.

The head cab looks like it has the Reverb Tank cut-out, but I don't see any holes where it was mounted, and I don't see the cut out for the wires. The Mark heads have odd shaped holes for the Tank, not just rectangular.

Is this the Widebody head or Narrow?

Will this sound similar to my old .22+? Or, more like my DC-5?

I accidentally bought it. I really didn't think he would take my offer of $425, but he did, so what the hell! :lol:

One last thing.....What tubes and speakers are you guys using with yours?????

Well, congrats for getting yourself one hell of an amp!!!! The .50 Caliber is actually my favorite amp and one of the most underrated. To answer your questions, I believe they all have the plastic switches. You can try to date your amp by giving the serial number to Mesa (by calling them), it should be on the back of the chassis and start with FPXXXXX.

Most of them didn't come with a reverb tank but again, if you contact Mesa they can send you one. The hole is the hold for the reverb tank but I don't think it was set up for one with anything else.

The fifty caliber only came in one head size. The medium length head.

I have never heard either the .22 or DC-5, but from what I'm read and heard it should sound more like the .22 due to it being it's bigger brother.
The DC series were the descendants of the fifty, but I've heard they have a smoother drive tone than the fifty.

I use Mesa tubes because I've been too lazy and cheap to try anything else, even though I've heard there are far better tubes out there. I just run mine through my 4X12 recto cab with celestion vintage 30's.

Well, I hope that helps and good luck. That amp is one mean monster. It looks a little beat up so you could always do what I did with mine. I sent mine to Mesa, had them check everything out and then they cleaned it up and built a new cab for it. It looks brand new and sounds better than ever and it only cost about $550 with shipping. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo, Monsta-

I heard a few clips of these amps on Youtube.com and I found the distortion to be very VHT like- very tight, raw, open, dry, and saturated tone! Very nice. Think old school thrash metal- Exodus tone in spades hahah!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it and any comparisons you can draw between it and the other amps you've owned. Congrats on the sweet score!

metalblitz84 said:
Well, congrats for getting yourself one hell of an amp!!!! The .50 Caliber is actually my favorite amp and one of the most underrated. To answer your questions, I believe they all have the plastic switches. You can try to date your amp by giving the serial number to Mesa (by calling them), it should be on the back of the chassis and start with FPXXXXX.

Most of them didn't come with a reverb tank but again, if you contact Mesa they can send you one. The hole is the hold for the reverb tank but I don't think it was set up for one with anything else.

The fifty caliber only came in one head size. The medium length head.

I have never heard either the .22 or DC-5, but from what I'm read and heard it should sound more like the .22 due to it being it's bigger brother.
The DC series were the descendants of the fifty, but I've heard they have a smoother drive tone than the fifty.

I use Mesa tubes because I've been too lazy and cheap to try anything else, even though I've heard there are far better tubes out there. I just run mine through my 4X12 recto cab with celestion vintage 30's.

Well, I hope that helps and good luck. That amp is one mean monster. It looks a little beat up so you could always do what I did with mine. I sent mine to Mesa, had them check everything out and then they cleaned it up and built a new cab for it. It looks brand new and sounds better than ever and it only cost about $550 with shipping. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but most of them have reverb and you cant see it, that hole is i dont know for, but im sure, thats not for reverb, mine has no tank and reverb still works.
One of the greatest tubes, i can say the best, are Sovtek 5881(/6L6WGC?) , they're pretty hard to find, but your sound will sound very raw and very agressive and original, any other tube cant satisfy me.
In preamp i use 2 tungsol 12ax7 tubes on 1&2 and ehx 12ax7 on 5, i dont remember then 3&4 position, but i think, theres some jj's. I've matched it with 2x12 vertical EVM halfback and i cant say now, that ive never heard better sound. If i had a money, i'd definitely buy one more and one more cab. Ive never heard 2c+, but if theres better drive channel, it must be heaven amp. Anyway, congratulations, you've purchased great amp.

Good score... I paid $500 for mine. Mine is older, it's not a plus model. Doesn't have the plastic switches, and 4 EL84s instead of the two 6L6s.

I had no idea what I was getting when I won it on eBay. I honestly can't remember what was going through my head at the time. I think I just wanted an old Mesa, to see what they were like.

Anyway, I like it, not at all what I was expecting...... well, I was expecting Dual Recto type, or maybe hot rod fender...

I can't really compare it to anything, because it doesn't sound like anything else I've ever heard.

Right on guys, thanks for the input. Keep em coming!

It's getting to the point where it's easier to name the Boogies that I haven't owned, instead of the ones that I have! :lol:

i miss the one i had, which was a combo. in a single setting - clean to jazz to hard rock - it was great. very simple and easy to dial in - i used the sample settings from the product guide on the Mesa website - go ahead and print that now.

good price for a very underrated amp.

Reverb tank's inside the chassis. Be careful flipping the amp on it's side, the tank will flop around and short out against something, and you lose the reverb until you remove the chassis and sort it out.
It's a 17" wide, rack-mountable chassis. I think most call this a "short" chassis. (I've never understood this nomenclature. It should be "narrow").
Yes, I know it has 8 knobs, not seven (like a Mark), but the knobs are smaller and closer together. It's a 17" chassis. Just like mine.
These sound (to my ear) real close to a Mark III. More compressed, maybe, but that can be a good thing. Parts quality can be problematical. The chassis is a thinner stamping, compared to Marks, and vibrational microphonics can rear their ugly little heads. Maybe mine just got banged around a lot.
Sounds great, less filling.

It's a head, so I don't think it's been through too much.

I thought I saw the tank on the inside, that's easy enough to fix. It's funny that Mesa will do that from time to time. Tiny tank in a tiny space....

I paid $450 for mine (didn't come with the footswitch though) and i'll agree with the rest and say that it is a great amp, especially for the cash. Great Lead channel, great clean channel. I think the lead tones sound just as good as my Mark III simul-class to be honest...

Like alot of Mesa's though, they take time to dial in, make sure you check the manual.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This amp actually kicks ***!

I just got it an hour ago, and have only spent 10 minutes with it. But...I was able to dial in great tones in both channels almost instantly.

The Clean channel is just a bit pushed for my taste when I have it set for great Lead tones, but other than that, I really am pleased.

What settings are you guys using?????

I like my 50+ better than my Mark IV! The tone is great. I run sovtex 5881's in mine. Mesa's STR425 tubes are Sovtex 5881's. Your gonna love this amp. If you don't like it and want to sell it PM me!

Monsta-Tone said:
I need another amp like I need another *******, but I had the money in Paypal.
Me too! But, that's a GREAT excuse to buy another one! And, who can argue with that price? Congrats, on the new .50 Cal!

Thanks guys,

I really do like the tone. It is very bluesy on the clean channel when the volume is at around 8. Just starting to break up. Then, I switch over to the Lead channel and it is monstrous.

The gain is unlike any other amp I've had. Very open, thick and articulate.

It has a couple of issues though, the loop needs a little attention because the signal cuts in and out if I use it. I tapped on the top and the problem went away.

Some of the pots are scratchy too, but nothing that I can't fix right away.

I was wondering about the power tubes, they are really nice. I might have to rethink the Sovtek thing. I usually avoid them, except for the 12AX7LPS, I really like those in high gain amps.

The manual is funny, very short. Randall must have more free time now, newer amps have novels for manuals.

I'll probably re-cover the head or get GTS to make me a wide-body head and put the Reverb Tank in the bottom. I bet a larger tank would make it sound huge.

Congrats on the new amp!
There is one really simple mod that you can do to it, i know that a guy (potaetoes) from harmony-central forums has his studio.22 or .50cal+ modded. Well, it's the separate gain pot mod, he states that it's an extremely simple mod, you just have to replace one resistor (or something) with a pot. I don't have the details, but he says that he'll post it.

I currently own a F-50, have owned a studio.22+ in the past (same preamp as .50cal+), and while i'm really satisfied with my f-50, two days ago i found an ad in the local papers for a .50cal+ combo with eq. I can't stop thinking about it :lol: I can't afford both so i called the guy to see if he's in for a trade (he would give me some more gear too) and he said that he'll contact me in a day or two. These threads don't help my g.a.s. either :evil:
:wink:

Was that the Master Volume mod for the Lead channel? This one already has a Master or I would have done it.

HHMMMM? Maybe it's something else.

I don't really want to mod it right now, other than maybe an adjustable bias. I'm really diggin the tones, just have to work out a few bugs.

Monsta-Tone said:
Was that the Master Volume mod for the Lead channel? This one already has a Master or I would have done it.

HHMMMM? Maybe it's something else.

I don't really want to mod it right now, other than maybe an adjustable bias. I'm really diggin the tones, just have to work out a few bugs.

sorry for not being clear, let's make it so then :lol:
On a studio.22+/.50cal+ you have:
"VOLUME" - gain control for both channels
"MASTER" - overall master volume
"LEAD MASTER" - volume for the lead channel

- the mod i'm talking about adds a separate gain control for the lead channel so you can eg. put the gain low for the clean channel and crank it for the gain channel

mule#1 said:
I like my 50+ better than my Mark IV! The tone is great. I run sovtex 5881's in mine. Mesa's STR425 tubes are Sovtex 5881's. Your gonna love this amp. If you don't like it and want to sell it PM me!

So do I!!! My .50 + was my first "real" head and I loved it. After a few years though it started to deteriorate due to me not knowing how to properly take care of it and maintain it. I ended up selling it to my friend because I thought it sounded like crap and always wanted a Mark IV. Well, last year I got my Mark IV and I love it to death. Come to find out, it wasn't the amp that sucked it was my crappy guitar!!! I talked him into selling it back to me and I sent it off to Mesa and they completely restored it. All new knobs, sliders, power cable, built a brand new cab for it and serviced the guts. I can't be any happier with this amp and use it for all my main rhythm guitar tracks. The Mark IV is a treasure itself, but the .50 + is number one for me!!!

By the way, I'm currently looking for a 2nd one!!!

Latest posts

Back