50 caliber - DC3 - or ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
Hey all,

A good friend of mine is looking to buy an amp. He loves the tones I get out of boogies and wants to get something to give him similar tones. Preferably something in the $500 - $600 range. He's looking for an amp that sounds good with a Les Paul but would also like to play an acoustic/electric through it because he just bought a fender t- bucket. In his price range I was thinking maybe a 50 caliber or DC 3. I like the idea of the 6L6's in the 50 caliber but having separate control of the 2 channels IE: tone stack gains ect. in the DC 3 seems like a big plus. I'm just not sure how the acoustic/electric would sound with EL 34's. He played it through my studio 22+ and I don't know if it's because of the EL34's or the 22 watts but the studio 22 just ain't happening for acoustic/electric . As far as his desired lead tone, he's looking for something Santana ish , nothing metal sounding. Can anyone help me out as to what would be the better amp to suit his needs. 50 cal , DC3 or maybe something else? I have no knowledge or first hand experience with these amps. Any feedback and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU !!!

Edit, just realized I was writing EL 34 and meant EL 84

The DC-3 has about the best rhythm channel tones I've heard from ANY Mesa. On several occasions I've thought that the tone could not be improved upon. It also takes pedals extremely well. I'd been gigging with the DC until I recently put my Mark IV back in service. Having the separate channel tone and gain stacks (and graphic eq) is a huge plus, but the Lead channel is where the amp is lacking (IMO). It's more of a distortion channel than a lead channel, and I've tried many things to tame it, including resistor mods, tube changes, etc. I just can't get that smooth Mark lead sound from it: too grainy/fizzy for my taste. It's probably well-suited for a metal or grunge sound, neither of which I play. I suspect the rhythm channel would sound fine with an acoustic electric.

I never played a 50 Caliber, but I heard they are wonderful amps. Zappa used to play one. They just suffer from the shared tone/gain controls like the early Marks.

dodger916 said:
The DC-3 has about the best rhythm channel tones I've heard from ANY Mesa. On several occasions I've thought that the tone could not be improved upon. It also takes pedals extremely well. I'd been gigging with the DC until I recently put my Mark IV back in service. Having the separate channel tone and gain stacks (and graphic eq) is a huge plus, but the Lead channel is where the amp is lacking (IMO). It's more of a distortion channel than a lead channel, and I've tried many things to tame it, including resistor mods, tube changes, etc. I just can't get that smooth Mark lead sound from it: too grainy/fizzy for my taste. It's probably well-suited for a metal or grunge sound, neither of which I play. I suspect the rhythm channel would sound fine with an acoustic electric.

I never played a 50 Caliber, but I heard they are wonderful amps. Zappa used to play one. They just suffer from the shared tone/gain controls like the early Marks.

My thoughts almost exactly! That's why I sold my DC-3 and kept my Studio .22+. The rhythm channel was great but the lead channel on the DC-3 was strident, not very "organic" sounding and not reactive to touch or the guitar's volume controls. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't for me. Modifying it helped, but not enough.

Don said:
dodger916 said:

My thoughts almost exactly! That's why I sold my DC-3 and kept my Studio .22+. The rhythm channel was great but the lead channel on the DC-3 was strident, not very "organic" sounding and not reactive to touch or the guitar's volume controls. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't for me. Modifying it helped, but not enough.

Yea, Don, it seems we walked this road at around the same time with the DC-3. "Strident" is a great adjective for the lead channel, but the rhythm channel is so good I can't bring myself to sell it UNTIL Mesa produces a 35 watt version of the Mark V:25.

Thanks guys, that rules the DC3 out. For electric guitar alone, a studio 22 would be perfect , I love that amp , but it doesn't solve the acoustic/electric issue. If anyone is familiar with the 50 CALIBER or another boogie that would work for electric and acoustic electric (in the $500-$600 price range) please get back to me . THANKS

as i understand it, the 50 caliber has EL84s while the 50 caliber+ (which i have) has 6L6s. the graphic eq may only be on the + but don't hold me to that. I've never tried an acoustic through it - I will do so tonight and let you know the results. the lead channel is very aggressive and for the tone I like there is a tiny sweet spot in the treble and gain controls.

it's a great amp but maybe not the most versatile.

dodger916 said:

I agree with you and Don. My DC2's (same preamp, 2 less EL84s) cleans are stellar, but the lead channel was lacking. Very compressed and fizzy to my ears as well. I put a 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 in V2 (both RCA NOS tubes and I think I've got the positions correct here- it's been a while) and that made a huge difference. The lead channel is now usable for crunchy rhythms. For solos I still use a pedal (Mythical OD or Zendrive) into the clean channel.

Al

Buster Leggs said:
I like the idea of the 6L6's in the 50 caliber but having ...
FYI - Not all .50 Caliber amps had a pair of 6L6s.
Many were built around a quad of EL84s.

BMW-KTM said:
Buster Leggs said:
I like the idea of the 6L6's in the 50 caliber but having ...
FYI - Not all .50 Caliber amps had a pair of 6L6s.
Many were built around a quad of EL84s.
My buddy ended up getting the 50 caliber with 6L6's. It's got awesome from Santana to metal type tones and more. There's so many somewhat unknown boogies out there that sound great. The 50 caliber is certainly one in my book.

Latest posts

Back