50-Caliber+ **AND** a DC-3? what'r the tonal diff/simlaritys

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
i have (or will be getting back) a 50-cal, and i'm wanting another amp
i can get a good deal on a DC3
i'm wondering though, how similar they are in tone, and gain texture
i really like a marshall crunch

If you have a 50+ then there would definitely be a difference in tone as the 50+ has 6L6 tubes and the DC3 has EL84's. The gain should be similar but the EL84's should get you close to the British tone you want. They definitely will sound different but both will be awesome!

The .50 Cal has a shared EQ, while the DC3 has an independent EQ for each channel. I don't think that DC3's have a GEQ either. The .50 Cal is 50 watts 6L6, while the DC3 is 30 watts EL84. Definitely a big difference. Most likely in tone as well.

I have a DC-3 and really like the independent eq for clean and crunch channel. I doesnt sound like a Marshall, it sounds like a Mesa. The caliber 50 I heard also sounds like a Mesa. I think only Marshalls have that specific Marshall sound

The 3 will get you closer, but it is a Mesa preamp, so you can only get so close.
The 3 is much more versatile to me, but I hated it with the stock Vintage 30.
Separate EQ knobs and a GEQ make a huge difference in dialing in each channel independently.
The .50 will sound deeper because of the 6L6's, but add an EV loaded Thiele under the 3 and it will kick ***!

Monsta-Tone said:
The 3 will get you closer, but it is a Mesa preamp, so you can only get so close.
The 3 is much more versatile to me, but I hated it with the stock Vintage 30.
Separate EQ knobs and a GEQ make a huge difference in dialing in each channel independently.
The .50 will sound deeper because of the 6L6's, but add an EV loaded Thiele under the 3 and it will kick ***!

Do you have a specific suggestion to replace the Vintage 30? I like it, but my guts say it can be better.

I really liked it with this speaker:
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/British-Vintage/British-Vintage-Series-12-BV-30H-Speaker-8-OHM-30W-1-5-V

I currently have a late 80's Celestion Heritage 30 (the speaker that this is a clone of) in my Maverick, and a pair of the Mojo BV's in my Heartbreaker.
The Heritage is more woody sounding and definitely not as bright or punchy as the Mojo. Could be that it's extremely broken in and the Mojos are not as broken in, not sure.

The Mojotones have the same components as the original UK made Celestions, but are assembled here in the US. They won't tell me who builds them, but I suspect either Weber or Eminence.

Great speakers that you simply can't go wrong with!

Back