4x12 Cabinet question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iohanr

Reaction score
Since I don't have a manual and couldn't find one on the Mesa website, I was just wondering if someone here might know the answer to the following question:

Can one 4x12 cabinet function in "stereo mode" - i.e. two vertical 2x12s on left and right? The reason I ask is because of the jackplate on the back seems to hint at that:

JackplateLG-4x12-all.jpg

If the answer is "Yes", then I guess all I would need is two cables plugged into those two inputs on the left?

I realize there wouldn't be much separation since both "left" and "right" are in the same cabinet within inches of one another. However, I was just wondering, because I have a stereo effects processor (Axe-Fx) and a stereo power amp (ART SLA-2) that I am currently only using in bridged mono.

Yep, enjoy. The best way to make use of stereo in a single cab is to mic each side and then have those panned respectively. Might not make a big difference when your playing in a small room, but when your miced up at a gig, it will be sounding sweet.

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to buy another cable and try out stereo... :)

If you use the two left jacks top is on input, and bottom is the second, one for each side "stereo" your single
cabinet will run in stereo.
You can run that cab mono or stereo.
Thus no need to wait for another cabinet, unless you want two cabs.
You may already know that but you noted you were going to get another cab to run stereo.
/cheers

Hey If I am wrong someone save him quick.

Sorry, I think you misread... I just need another cable (banana plug to 1/4 inch) not another cabinet. Thanks!

stupid question... if you are wiring your setup to be in stereo do you connect your pedal that can run in stereo directly to the cab meanwhile wiring the other input to your head? If so, do you use a speaker cable or instrument from the effect to the cab?

Jerrick said:
Yep, enjoy. The best way to make use of stereo in a single cab is to mic each side and then have those panned respectively. Might not make a big difference when your playing in a small room, but when your miced up at a gig, it will be sounding sweet.

It depends on how different the settings are if you'll be able to tell a difference or not. Right now I have my Mesa running into one side of my cab through my effects unit with some chorus on it, and my 5150 running dry into the other side, and it sounds much better than having chorus on both amps at the same time. The stereo separation makes it sound so much fuller. Once I put chorus on the 5150, that fullness disappears.

thejay said:
stupid question... if you are wiring your setup to be in stereo do you connect your pedal that can run in stereo directly to the cab meanwhile wiring the other input to your head? If so, do you use a speaker cable or instrument from the effect to the cab?

Won't work that way. You'll have to have another amp between the pedal and cab. Otherwise you won't get anything out of that output. It won't drive a cab because it's an instrument level signal and doesn't carry any power.

mikey383 said:
thejay said:

Won't work that way. You'll have to have another amp between the pedal and cab. Otherwise you won't get anything out of that output. It won't drive a cab because it's an instrument level signal and doesn't carry any power.

...was kinda afraid of that, thanks

mikey383 said:
Right now I have my Mesa running into one side of my cab through my effects unit with some chorus on it, and my 5150 running dry into the other side...

Hmmm... does that mean I can run my Roadster Head into one side (let's say Left) and then the Axe-FX/ART SLA-2 bridged mono into the other side (Right)? That could be useful when I have a friend over and we can jam off of the same cabinet split into two...

iohanr said:
mikey383 said:
Right now I have my Mesa running into one side of my cab through my effects unit with some chorus on it, and my 5150 running dry into the other side...

Hmmm... does that mean I can run my Roadster Head into one side (let's say Left) and then the Axe-FX/ART SLA-2 bridged mono into the other side (Right)? That could be useful when I have a friend over and we can jam off of the same cabinet split into two...

That would work.

I'm glad I searched for this topic, since I was wondering if I could run my ElectraDyne and my Dual Rec into my 4x12, and it sounds like it will work!

Any tone changes/benefits by running my Single Recto 4ohm outputs into the two 4ohm inputs on the Recto cab versus just simply using the 8ohm mono setup?

I normally have my speaker cable inserted into the input jack of my cabinet, when I'm running my amp, is this correct?

Latest posts

Back